Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

credit building

credit building

Old Oct 17th 2001, 4:28 am
Gerry Speirs

Hey hows it going,Does anyone have any tips on building credit in the U.S.I have my
EAD and my SS number and im ready to go,i think! Cheers much appreciated,,,Gerry

Old Oct 17th 2001, 6:43 am
Mike

First, get a job and work for six months!!

Then get an unsecured Visa, like from Providian or Cross Country Bank, with a $600.00
credit limit on it. Make small purchases, pay the bill on time, but always keep a
small balance on the card. In no time at all, they will raise your limit and you will
start to get inundated by credit card applications from other, what I call, "two-bit"
companies. Ignore them. Go to Sears and get a card there. Perhaps Best Buy too. Buy
something. Pay the bill on time. After several months of this, you should have enough
credit to be able to head to your favorite big bank and apply for a "real" credit
card with low APR. Keep in mind however that usually a one-year credit history is
required to get any type of loan.

Good luck!

>
    >

Old Oct 17th 2001, 11:30 am
Dawn

"Mike" <[email protected]>
    >

My husband opened a bank account soon after moving over, and was told that as soon as
he became employed he could apply for a Visa card with the bank (which he did). He
was able to get a Lazarus card in his name before that, using my income as the
household income.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

If you can! When Simon recently applied for a Sears card (just to build more credit
rather than really wanting one), he got turned down with the leter stating "Cannot
verify SSN"! He's had his SSN since February, so I don't know what the problem is. I
wonder if it had anything to do with the fact he applied for the card online. I told
him he ought to check into why it states "cannot verify SSN" but he said he wasn't
that bothered about getting a Sears card anyway so forget them (well, maybe he used a
different "f" phrase!).

Dawn and Simon (UKy)

Old Oct 17th 2001, 11:03 pm
D & L

I have no end of trouble with my SSN and credit. My SSN begins with 766, and
EVERYWHERE I go, my bank included tells me that my SSN is not valid for credit or
work. However my SS card was issued after I got EAD and the SSA have even given me a
letter telling whoever that it IS valid for work & Credit. Providian wouldn't even
consider me for a SECURED card, and I was offering to pay $1000 up front!

My own employer (a Major National Insurance Company) is having to spend in excess
of $20K to update the software so they can pay me!!! As the payroll computer throws
my SSN out!

My last resort was to apply for a net first credit card, that put up a $500 dollar
deposit/limit and report to all the credit agencies, you then make payments on the
card and anything over the $500 is what I can spend. It is like a Debit card with
only and $8 p/month fee. and no interest charges.

As the wife has crappy credit (this is prior to us meeting) and is now under Credit
Guard a debt counseling program, she is automatically rejected!

If this fails, I guess I will never have credit here in the US!!!

"Dawn" <[email protected]>
[usenetquote2]> > First, get a job and work for six months!![/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Then get an unsecured Visa, like from Providian or Cross Country Bank,[/usenetquote2]
with
[usenetquote2]> > a $600.00 credit limit on it. Make small purchases, pay the bill on[/usenetquote2]
time,
[usenetquote2]> > but always keep a small balance on the card. In no time at all, they[/usenetquote2]
will
[usenetquote2]> > raise your limit and you will start to get inundated by credit card applications[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > from other, what I call, "two-bit" companies. Ignore them.[/usenetquote2]
Go
[usenetquote2]> > to Sears and get a card there...[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Oct 17th 2001, 11:40 pm
Michael Voight

Mike wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Or a secured visa from a place like Citibank.. Minimum is $800. You actually are
buying an 18 month CD. My son did it when he finished high school. It was fee free
and better terms than other places. For $50, you can get American Airlines' Miles
too. After the 18 months, they refunded his money and increased his credit line.

Michael

Old Oct 17th 2001, 11:41 pm
Michael Voight

Dawn wrote: I told him he ought to check into why
    >

I think it means they couldn't find a credit history with the SSN.

Michael

Old Oct 18th 2001, 11:14 am
Dawn

Michael Voight <[email protected]>

>

Hmmm..., but he had to use his SSN for the Lazarus application and has used that card
several times, as well as having obtained a Visa card (in August) which he uses for
virtually all his purchases, so there is some credit history established there. Maybe
it's just not been present long enough to register on whatever it must.

Dawn

Old Oct 18th 2001, 11:14 am
Dawn

Michael Voight <[email protected]>

>

Hmmm..., but he had to use his SSN for the Lazarus application and has used that card
several times, as well as having obtained a Visa card (in August) which he uses for
virtually all his purchases, so there is some credit history established there. Maybe
it's just not been present long enough to register on whatever it must. Dawn