Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Credit (aka new bane of my existence)

Wikiposts

Credit (aka new bane of my existence)

Old Sep 13th 2010, 4:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit (aka new bane of my existence)

Originally Posted by fatbrit
It's not chip and pin because you can always opt to sign instead.
Yeah, definitely not chip and pin, but not all stores give you the option to opt out. Costco is a prime example.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 5:08 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avanutria
Well, all the supermarkets have you put/swipe your card in a device and then enter your pin; if that's not chip and pin then it's something close enough for me...!
It isn't chip and pin as there are no chips in any credit or debit card I have.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You'll have the same experience with car insurance...you will be classed as a new driver.
If you're very lucky, your insurance agent or company might actually take into account that you've been driving abroad. The Lizard at least pretended they did but nevertheless the insurance *will* be higher in the US anyway.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 1:33 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
If you're very lucky, your insurance agent or company might actually take into account that you've been driving abroad. The Lizard at least pretended they did but nevertheless the insurance *will* be higher in the US anyway.
Progressive did this too, but I had to talk to them on the phone for them to throw the magic switch. The online quote stuff didn't factor in the fact that the reason we hadn't had prior coverage was because we had been overseas.

The magic switch cut our renewal rate in half.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 8:42 am
Hello.

oicur0t is an unknown quantity at this point

on the chip and pin note.... it's not really a good thing. It removes responsibilty from the institution and places it on the card holder.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 9:13 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avanutria
Well, all the supermarkets have you put/swipe your card in a device and then enter your pin; if that's not chip and pin then it's something close enough for me...!
That's the devil debit card deal.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 1:47 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsPrufrock
I'm not entirely sure the patronising tone of your reply was needed, but thank you for the stern telling off.

Oh well, some people just don't like to hear the truth. Patronizing and stern? Moi? You must be joking little one.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 11:34 pm
BMP
Forum Regular

BMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to allBMP is a name known to all

Originally Posted by oicur0t
on the chip and pin note.... it's not really a good thing. It removes responsibilty from the institution and places it on the card holder.
what? yes users must be responsible for their pin, and if they have delibrately shared it they are liable but if they haven't they aren't. almost all credit card fraud with UK cards now occurs abroad - for which users are covered.

I'd ask has the user used chip and pin card? Have they had their credit card details stolen?

from someone who can say yes to both let me state my opinion is that chip and pin is genius - i am always paranoid about the one US credit card i have in my wallet.

http://www.statesman.com/business/te...er-899136.html

in addition my USC wide was shocked when i told a friend i would transfer them the money to their account wirelessly in the UK!! i still don't think i can do this with my US account...