Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Creature Comforts (Nick Park)

Creature Comforts (Nick Park)

Old Nov 23rd 2005, 10:00 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Creature Comforts (Nick Park)

Coming to BBC America: http://www.bbcamerica.com/genre/come...e_comforts.jsp

Anyone know about this series of movie shorts? I'm a fan of Nick Park's stuff but haven't seen this (apparently it's pretty old - 1989, I think). Write-up sounds like it's hilarious.

On next Friday, late evening.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 10:24 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Creature Comforts (Nick Park)

Originally Posted by dunroving

Anyone know about this series of movie shorts? I'm a fan of Nick Park's stuff but haven't seen this (apparently it's pretty old - 1989, I think). Write-up sounds like it's hilarious.

its superb - animals with regional accents discuss nonsense, it was used on an electricity board ad in the UK to great effect
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Roadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Eskimo
its superb - animals with regional accents discuss nonsense, it was used on an electricity board ad in the UK to great effect
Entirely agree. Picture a plasticine tortoise with facial features like Wallace, talking in a Scouse or Welsh accent about the benefits of electric blankets, or how quickly the new central heating system works. Was excellent.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 11:22 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dunroving

I think it started out as the old gas or electricity adverts, or vice versa. ANyway, like you said it was before W&G but still worth watching. The poor guy lost all the sets in a fire a couple of month ago
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 11:57 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if it was before W&G but it is really 'off and onable' a must see.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 2:29 am
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
I don't know if it was before W&G but it is really 'off and onable' a must see.
It was kinda before, during and after... I think his stuff his class. The voices are spot on and the animation unsurpassed... you can stuff the computer animated bumpf for me .. this is the real deal
Old Nov 24th 2005, 1:32 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Creature Comforts (Nick Park)

Yes, I got the e-mail alert about 'Creature Comforts' from BBC America.

But look at the time it will be transmitted...11pm ET on a Sunday night for God's sake! I looked at the other transmission times as well and they're not great either....this should be peak-time viewing instead of bloody 'Cash in the Attic' and 'Changing Rooms' etc. Grrrr.

I do remember the ads for British Gas where it is 'turn onable and offable'...wonderful stuff.

I know that the Creature Comforts DVD is available...might order a copy or stick it on my 'Christmas pressie' wanted list...

Oooooh - for once there is something worth watching tonight (Thanksgiving Evening) at 9pm ET..."Tom Brown's Schooldays" with Stephen Fry as the schoolmaster....lots of boys getting thrashed and whipped....might get my 17 year old to watch it LOL!

Last edited by Englishmum; Nov 24th 2005 at 1:35 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Yes, I got the e-mail alert about 'Creature Comforts' from BBC America.

But look at the time it will be transmitted...11pm ET on a Sunday night for God's sake! I looked at the other transmission times as well and they're not great either....this should be peak-time viewing instead of bloody 'Cash in the Attic' and 'Changing Rooms' etc. Grrrr.

I do remember the ads for British Gas where it is 'turn onable and offable'...wonderful stuff.

I know that the Creature Comforts DVD is available...might order a copy or stick it on my 'Christmas pressie' wanted list...

Oooooh - for once there is something worth watching tonight (Thanksgiving Evening) at 9pm ET..."Tom Brown's Schooldays" with Stephen Fry as the schoolmaster....lots of boys getting thrashed and whipped....might get my 17 year old to watch it LOL!
I saw a version of Goodbye Mr Chips with the guy from men behaving badly - not quite the same I know, but that guy really can act. I watch it every time I get a chance and I highly recommend it (I think it was A&E that showed it).
Old Nov 24th 2005, 6:51 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Creature Comforts (Nick Park)

Originally Posted by Chorlton
I saw a version of Goodbye Mr Chips with the guy from men behaving badly - not quite the same I know, but that guy really can act. I watch it every time I get a chance and I highly recommend it (I think it was A&E that showed it).
I asked my husband to try and get a copy of it (the updated one) for me last time he was in London but they didn't have it in at the Virgin Megastore or HMV; I wanted it as the reviews were very good on Amazon.co.uk. I guess it's another one to go on the Christmas pressie list to be sent here from the UK Amazon site LOL!

The schoolmaster was Martin Clunes I believe?
Old Nov 24th 2005, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I asked my husband to try and get a copy of it (the updated one) for me last time he was in London but they didn't have it in at the Virgin Megastore or HMV; I wanted it as the reviews were very good on Amazon.co.uk. I guess it's another one to go on the Christmas pressie list to be sent here from the UK Amazon site LOL!

The schoolmaster was Martin Clunes I believe?

Thats the one. I sometimes don't have the patience for those period dramas, but this was flawless - a real gem. In fact I might buy it myself!

My mistake, it was PBS that showed it:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/mrchips/

Last edited by Chorlton; Nov 24th 2005 at 7:03 pm. Reason: link added
Old Nov 24th 2005, 7:06 pm

Oh, here you go:
http://shop.wgbh.org/webapp/wcs/stor...0051&langId=-1
might even be cheaper somewhere else
Old Nov 24th 2005, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.sendit.com/dvd/item/7000000095755

Cheers fae Scotland! Roll on Hogmanay.....

Old Nov 24th 2005, 9:56 pm
Life begins...

80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute

I remember the Creature Comforts shorts from the late 1980s, they were used for Electricity Board adverts when it was still a nationalised industry (I think). They are funny and charming and I believe never lose their appeal. They're a big hit in our household, as is Rex the Runt, another Aardman animation. Classic, is Rex the Runt. Revived the careers of Stanley Unwin, Bob Monkhouse and Judith Chalmers (yes, the orange one from Wish you were here plays a judge). Comedians Paul Merton and Arthur Smith also play star cameo roles as Doctor Dog and Arthur Dustcart. Great if you like surreal, obtuse comedy. My kids love it. Check it out here where you can watch some episodes:

http://www.atomfilms.com/af/spotligh...es/rextherunt/

Phyl

Last edited by 80s Chick; Nov 24th 2005 at 10:07 pm.
Old Nov 25th 2005, 5:17 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

didn't they just do another series fairly recently?
Old Nov 25th 2005, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - so its probably the new one thats coming to BBC America. Saw one of the new episodes via UK Nova - wasn't too impressed unfortunately. Hopefully it was just an "off" one. It does depend on the people they interview of course.

Originally Posted by Bob
didn't they just do another series fairly recently?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.