Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Create a company

Create a company

Old Jul 11th 2002, 9:20 pm
Collet

Default Create a company

Hi,

I am planning to create a company with a relative who has the U.S. citizenship. I am
currently working under H1. I am wondering what the best formula is as far as legal,
taxes and my transition to this new company are concerned. Has someone been faced
with the same issue ?

Thanks.

Old Jul 12th 2002, 4:14 am
Majid

Default Re: Create a company

If your relative is close (have the same last name), you have better be careful.
Also the new company will be H1-B dependent which makes INS have a close look at
your documents. But I think it is possible if you can prove the new company is able
to pay you.

"collet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am planning to create a company with a relative who has the U.S. citizenship. I
    > am currently working under H1. I am wondering what the best formula is as far as
    > legal, taxes and my transition to this new company are concerned. Has someone been
    > faced with the same issue ?
    >
    > Thanks.

Old Jul 15th 2002, 12:20 am
Paul Helpdesk

What you are planning is feasible with no problems. You have to do it correct so that
there won't be immigration and tax issues in the future.

You always have to consider if you will be working for the company or if the company
will be sponsoring your Green Card.

You may find the following links helpful:

http://www.visapro.com/H1B-Visa/H1B-Visa.asp http://www.delawareinc.com/chapter3.htm

Paul @ HelpDesk

Old Jul 28th 2002, 6:20 pm
Stuart Brook

Paul HelpDesk wrote:
    >
    > What you are planning is feasible with no problems. You have to do it correct so
    > that there won't be immigration and tax issues in the future.
    >
    > You always have to consider if you will be working for the company or if the
    > company will be sponsoring your Green Card.

With *no* problems ???? Where do you get some of your info Paul@helpdesk?

The INS look very closely at these situations because a) the management of the
company may not be consistent with the duties of the other duties of the status, and
b) partnerships are often considered means of self-employment in the US which is not
permissible in most statuses.

Bottom line is that there can be some major problems.

Stuart