Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Crazy mother(monster)-in-law!

Wikiposts

Crazy mother(monster)-in-law!

Old Feb 2nd 2006, 2:49 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crazy mother(monster)-in-law!

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Half and half for us, so I can veto most things... like when my MIL wanted us to get married in a medieval themed banquet hall... like that's going to happen.
Medieval Times ??? That would have been so sweet dude
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 2:49 am
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ry8000
She's just got a screw loose. I think she's had her way with everthing her entire life - the future father-in-law is a bit of a push-over at times with regards to her. Maybe someone needs to put her in her place, and maybe that someone will have to be me!!
Tell her its a British custom to stand at the altar with your d*ck hanging out when the in-laws choose the grooms outfit...
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

I have an idea......

Why don't you use these Mother-In-Law Jokes (from the Late, Great Les Dawson) when you do your speech at the reception

There's 1 or 2 others thrown in for good measure, too. Enjoy!

Jim

In awe I watched the waxing moon ride across the zenith of the heavens like an ambered chariot towards the ebon void of infinite space wherein the tethered belts of Jupiter and Mars hang forever festooned in their orbital majesty. And as I looked at all this I thought...I must put a roof on this lavatory.

Tomorrow it's the mother-in-law's funeral...and she's cancelled it.

Funny thing how you first meet the woman that you marry. I first met the wife in a tunnel of love. She was digging it.

I can always tell when the mother in law's coming to stay; the mice throw themselves on the traps.

He had ambitions, at one time, to become a sex maniac, but he failed his practical.

The wife's Mother said, "When you're dead, I'll dance in your grave." I said: "Good, I'm being buried at sea."

I took my mother-in-law to Madame Tussard's Chamber of Horrors, and one of the attendants said, 'Keep her moving sir, we're stock-taking'

I went to my doctor and asked for something for persistent wind. He gave me a kite.

Marriage is an institution and that's where a couple finish up.

I saw six men kicking and punching the mother-in-law. My neighbour said 'Are you going to help?' I said 'No, Six should be enough."
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 2:53 am
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CarlM
Tell her its a British custom to stand at the altar with your d*ck hanging out when the in-laws choose the grooms outfit...
That would shut her up...
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 3:01 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
Thats actually a good point

I always respect the golden rule

Whoever has the gold makes the rules

Which is why I pay my way so I can't get bossed around
That's just it isn't it? It does make a difference.

My sister and her husband paid for all of their wedding and nobody could tell them jack. However, they were in their late 30's and it was her second marriage.

As an American I can give you some general ideas of how things go down, Ry8000. To some mothers their daughter's wedding is one of their MAJOR life events (multiply that by 10,000 for Jewish mothers). I think that's daft but there ya go. You might want to choose your battles. Most American men don't give a crap about the wedding details so it could just be a cultural thing.

I don't know if you've ever planned a wedding but I've done several for other people and it is a ridiculous amount of work.... even for small simple weddings. Determine what you care the most about and focus on those things. If you feel very strongly about the tux then just let her know what you've decided, make sure you have your fiancé's support first though. It sounds like you've been pretty easy going so far, btw.

DO NOT let her pick your groomsmen. However, it is considered a nice gesture (in large weddings) to include some of the closest male members of her family - normally a brother. That's just a suggestion, and it creates a lot of good will.

The day of the wedding will be a blur and none of the details will really matter to you at that point.

Good luck and congratulations.
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 3:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Medieval Times ??? That would have been so sweet dude
No just some crappy themed hall; I refused to enter when I saw a plastic coat-of-arms above the entrance. How tacky.
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 3:27 am
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jcapulet
That would shut her up...
It might cheer her up too! :scared:
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 3:30 am
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CarlM
It might cheer her up too! :scared:
:scared:
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 4:05 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tami2
She sounds like a pain in the @ss. My advice would be to get your fiance to talk with her and get her to back down. Even though she is a nut, she will be your monster-in-law for a long time and you don't want to start off with her hating you because YOU wouldn't let her run the show. The bride, her daughter, should try to take as much control of the thing as possible from afar and tell her mother that the wedding is hers and yours and you two will be making the decisions. A Jewish Monster-in-law, good luck boy! You're gonna need it!

The wedding is not his and hers. The wedding is the bride's mother's and father's wedding if they are paying the cost for it. If that is the case, it is their wishes, not the kids, that counts.

If the kids want a wedding their way, then cough up the money and pay for it themselves.

And, btw, there is nothing wrong with Jewish mother-in-laws. What is wrong with m-i-l's is when they interfer in the lives of their children because their children are too dependent on them to stand up to them and tell them to back off.
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 4:11 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
The wedding is not his and hers. The wedding is the bride's mother's and father's wedding if they are paying the cost for it. If that is the case, it is their wishes, not the kids, that counts.

If the kids want a wedding their way, then cough up the money and pay for it themselves.

And, btw, there is nothing wrong with Jewish mother-in-laws. What is wrong with m-i-l's is when they interfer in the lives of their children because their children are too dependent on them to stand up to them and tell them to back off.
I have a friend who only made 2 decisions about her wedding and that was exactly how she wanted it. (1) She had final say on her dress. (2) She and her husband-to-be had final say on their vows. Other than that she let her parents do everything. The funny thing was that her mother was so wishy-washy that her father ended up being the wedding planner.
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 4:22 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Crazy mother(monster)-in-law!

I'm cracking up laughing reading this thread. I've already seen how overbearing and overprotective some of the Jewish mums are in my neighbourhood, so I fully sympathise with you.

I don't see why you should have to wear a tux though - it's your body so you should dress as you please.

I also think that as it will be a marriage of a couple with different religions then it's a damn cheek if the M-i-L has vetoed a Christian minister from participating in some small way.....I guess her family may be from the conservative as opposed to liberal wing of Judaism? Our local paper is always having notices in for discussion groups for inter-faith marriages (run by a local synagogue).

Just wait until Christmas....you may have a battle regarding putting a Christmas tree up - I've seen it happen. It will probably get worse when children come along - have you discussed the inter-faith issues at all with your fiancee and her family? (What are your feelings on circumcision by the way?). Better start saving as soon as baby no.1 arrives for that Bar or Bat Mitzvah.....they cost as much as a wedding, it's unbelievable!

I wonder if you will be living or getting married in my neck of the woods in the NY metro area? I'm 15 mins west of Newark airport.....if it all gets too much send me a PM - my husband is English too and we'll give you both some respite from the Monster in Law LOL!
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 4:29 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Where does this stop?... is it normal/acceptable??????

Any advice, or confirmation that I'm not the only one trying to battle with a lunatic inlaw would be appreciated
uh oh run for the hills!!! you know they say that most of us women eventually turn out like our mothers!!! :scared:

good luck congrats and tell her in a very polite but stern voice that if she continues to be overbearing and bossy can can omit one invitation....hers!!
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 4:33 am
WTF?

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
uh oh run for the hills!!! you know they say that most of us women eventually turn out like our mothers!!! :scared:

good luck congrats and tell her in a very polite but stern voice that if she continues to be overbearing and bossy can can omit one invitation....hers!!
Right.... and she can omit the check she's writing to pay for the whole thing.
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 4:34 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

The in-laws are paying for most of the wedding (I didn't have much of a say in that aspect either), therefore that's one more reason for lunatic to think that she has the final say on everything.
uh oh then you are ..screwed

why not just go with the flow .shake your head in agreement about your side of the families attire and just arrive on the day in what you want ....I'd put my foot down about having your preist though...look on the bright side..you can celebrate the Honeymoon your way
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 4:35 am
Back Again

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Right.... and she can omit the check she's writing to pay for the whole thing.
pmsl!! yeah had to go back and read more than the opening post to find out about that little gem

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.