Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Crazy house prices....

Crazy house prices....

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:19 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Crazy house prices....

My wife cheekily just emailed me a pic of a house located close to where I used to live, the cost is 150,000 quid = $240,000.

What is going on with the house prices over there....CRAZY
Attached Images  
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:21 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

and this is a house for sale 4 doors down from me...

$183,000 = 115,00 quid (approx).
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:21 pm
Never right in the head!

Oopsy..
Attached Thumbnails Crazy house prices....-3001pic.jpeg  
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you mean. I sold my 1 bedroom flat close to the city centre in Cambridge back in july for £140,000. Thats close to $217,000 dollars and although this is an expensive area, I could still get something 4 times the size for that money here.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

dylan&helen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Yosser
Oopsy..
i want that house.. where is it Yosser?
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 9:50 pm
Never right in the head!

Originally posted by dylan&helen
i want that house.. where is it Yosser?
Rowlett Texas, buy why stop there this house is in the next neighborhood over houses start at $310,000 = 198,000 squid.

thats what your call a "no ****ing brainer".
Attached Thumbnails Crazy house prices....-880525.jpeg  
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 9:52 pm
Never right in the head!

Default This is our private waterpark

very much needed when it hits 110 plus degree's.
Attached Thumbnails Crazy house prices....-indexround.jpeg  
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 10:01 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough
Default Re: This is our private waterpark

very much needed when it hits 110 plus degree's.
If that's your back yard I'm shipping my kids to you for the summer Yosser!
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough

Rowlett Texas, buy why stop there this house is in the next neighborhood over houses start at $310,000 = 198,000 squid.

thats what your call a "no ****ing brainer".

That's not a house THAT'S a TOWN HALL!!!! LMAO!!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 10:50 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pimpbot
I know what you mean. I sold my 1 bedroom flat close to the city centre in Cambridge back in july for £140,000. Thats close to $217,000 dollars and although this is an expensive area, I could still get something 4 times the size for that money here.

Seeing as Texas is 2.5 times the size of the UK and has about the third of the population it makes sense that things would be bigger. Do people forget that the UK is a tiny overpopulated island and the US is a huge country. Size matters

Patrick
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

ArsNo2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Patrick
Seeing as Texas is 2.5 times the size of the UK and has about the third of the population it makes sense that things would be bigger. Do people forget that the UK is a tiny overpopulated island and the US is a huge country. Size matters

Patrick
Yes, I think we all realise how small houses in England are, and those who have had contact with UK in the last 10 years probably realise that house prices have shot up, but that's one of the reasons that making a living and enjoying life in the UK have become so difficult.

My daughter has a very small 3 bed semi-detached in Church Crookham, Hants - Barrett home or some such thing - and houses on her estate are selling at 215,000 and up. In total I would think their square footage doesn't even reach 800 - they're paying an absolute fortune per month for that in mortgage, on a pro-rata basis, and struggling badly.

Most houses in the USA are larger and cheaper per square foot, and mortgages are not such a large chunk of everyone's salary per month.

I really notice the difference because, like Yosser, I too live in Texas, in fact my house is similar to the picture Yosser posted earlier - but bigger - we have 4,400 square feet and a pool etc. but our house is not worth as much as my daughter's semi in England. Why when so many goods over here are the same in figures, pound for dollar, is there such a difference when it comes to building costs?
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

ArsNo2 is an unknown quantity at this point

By the way - I should have added that I'm sitting in her 3rd Bedroom typing this - don't return to DFW till Sunday - and it must be all of 6' x 8' - beginning to feel very claustrophobic I must admit....
Old Nov 4th 2003, 1:34 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ArsNo2
..... Why when so many goods over here are the same in figures, pound for dollar, is there such a difference when it comes to building costs?
Simple economics - supply & demand. The US has huge amounts of land available for building and few hang-ups about building on it. Whereas the UK has much less land, more than twenty percent of the population of the US but a land area smaller than Oregon, and major hang-ups about building on land that is not already in a built up area.
Old Nov 4th 2003, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patrick
Do people forget that the UK is a tiny overpopulated island and the US is a huge country. Size matters

Patrick
I was making a simple comparison. I didnt expect to get analyized by doctor Patrick
Old Nov 4th 2003, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ArsNo2
Yes, I think we all realise how small houses in England are, and those who have had contact with UK in the last 10 years probably realise that house prices have shot up, but that's one of the reasons that making a living and enjoying life in the UK have become so difficult.

My daughter has a very small 3 bed semi-detached in Church Crookham, Hants - Barrett home or some such thing - and houses on her estate are selling at 215,000 and up. In total I would think their square footage doesn't even reach 800 - they're paying an absolute fortune per month for that in mortgage, on a pro-rata basis, and struggling badly.

Most houses in the USA are larger and cheaper per square foot, and mortgages are not such a large chunk of everyone's salary per month.

I really notice the difference because, like Yosser, I too live in Texas, in fact my house is similar to the picture Yosser posted earlier - but bigger - we have 4,400 square feet and a pool etc. but our house is not worth as much as my daughter's semi in England. Why when so many goods over here are the same in figures, pound for dollar, is there such a difference when it comes to building costs?
Have you seen the way some of these houses are built? cheap crap a lot of it- that's why insurance companies won't insure them when they get old.

Texas is cheap for houses- you wouldn't get anything like that for the same money over here in Florida. Houses are I suppose cheaper on average than Uk here in FL (well some areas) but no where near the same quality. We have a new house and it was a good builder by Florida standards, but its crap really when you look beneath the surface- one good strength hurricane would probably flatten it.
We had a big old Victorian house in the South East- it had original ceilings and wood panelling, stained glass windows- perfect after nearly 100 years- and it went through a category 4 hurricane without one scrap of damage. It was actually bigger than the house we have now- because we've just downsized ready for retirement- if I could have shipped that house over here I would have done, you won't find anything like that quality out here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.