Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Crayola Factory v Hershey Park v Sesame Place PA??

Crayola Factory v Hershey Park v Sesame Place PA??

Old Apr 3rd 2011, 3:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Crayola Factory v Hershey Park v Sesame Place PA??

http://www.crayola.com/factory/

http://www.hersheypa.com/

http://www.sesameplace.com/sesame2/

So we'll probably be spending a few days in PA in the summer, the missus has a college reunion down there and those parks are nearby, well Hershey is about an hour away.

Anyone been to them all?

The missus has been to the Hershey park when in college and the Crayola place, but that was ages ago and we're wondering if they're still worth seeing?

Our little one will be 3 by then, so something fun for the day would be good.

Hershey Park is free, the extras add up in cost though, but our little one is indifferent to chocolate.

Sesame Place is well expensive, and she's indifferent to most of the characters.

Crayola ain't to badly priced, but again she prefers markers to crayons, the little bugger, but does look like it could be fun.

So any thoughts? Or other places to check out? All in the Allentown, Easton area of northern PA.

Six Flags is out, too young to get much out of it.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 3:22 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crayola Factory v Hershey Park v Sesame Place PA??

Originally Posted by Bob
Hershey Park is free...
... it would have to be!

Originally Posted by Bob
...but our little one is indifferent to chocolate.
...no danger of offending her here then!
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 3:28 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

I went to Hershey Park as a kid but I was about ten, I don't know that a three year old would get a lot out of it. It was lots of looking, not a lot of interactivity if I recall, and I've heard it's scaled things down since I was there.

I would probably vote for Crayola as if she's not interested in Sesame Street a visit probably won't do it, but coloring with markers and coloring with crayons are related and she might get more fun out of that.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 3:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
... it would have to be!

...no danger of offending her here then!
haha....there's that

Though the factory tour sounds pretty good for free, and them make your own sweets and wrappers, but that's a few bucks.

Though the downer is, it's a bit of a hike away and don't really know how much fun stuff there is for a toddler.

I'm thinking Crayola as well, but it's been a while since the missus and I last went to the area, I didn't do much of the sites though, so hoping there might be more fun stuff to do down there

Also hoping the drive down/up will be a little less hairy, only time I've ever power slided sideways down a motorway was that last trip to avoid a family of baby ducks walking across the motorway around 4am, I missed the mum by inches.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Bob, just a thought here, But have you considered Dutch Wonderland ?
It is a kids theme park for those 12 and under and seems to cater to toddlers etc. it is in Lancaster PA. @ 30 miles from Hershey.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...nsylvania.html

Last edited by Oregon4now; Apr 3rd 2011 at 6:16 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

We went to the Crayola Factory about 5 years ago this summer, so quite recently We went in the middle of the summer and the place was packed. Personally I didn't think it was worth the money.

Hershey park isn't free, Chocolate World is free, but not sure it would be worth a huge long drive, but it's pretty good for free.

Dutch Wonderland is a theme park for younger kids, but I haven't been there, but the bonus with going there would be it's directly opposite the Tanger outlets!
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 7:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Oregon4now
Hey Bob, just a thought here, But have you considered Dutch Wonderland ?
It is a kids theme park for those 12 and under and seems to cater to toddlers etc. it is in Lancaster PA. @ 30 miles from Hershey.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...nsylvania.html
Oh cool, will check that out!
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 7:42 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure you don't get confused between Crayola and Hersey because they both taste the same
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 9:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Thydney
Make sure you don't get confused between Crayola and Hersey because they both taste the same

I know one, Crayola is a bit more colourful, so probably has the edge
Old Apr 4th 2011, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

katybluewater is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Thydney
Old Apr 29th 2011, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

katieonaplan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
http://www.crayola.com/factory/

http://www.hersheypa.com/

http://www.sesameplace.com/sesame2/

So we'll probably be spending a few days in PA in the summer, the missus has a college reunion down there and those parks are nearby, well Hershey is about an hour away.

Anyone been to them all?

The missus has been to the Hershey park when in college and the Crayola place, but that was ages ago and we're wondering if they're still worth seeing?

Our little one will be 3 by then, so something fun for the day would be good.

Hershey Park is free, the extras add up in cost though, but our little one is indifferent to chocolate.

Sesame Place is well expensive, and she's indifferent to most of the characters.

Crayola ain't to badly priced, but again she prefers markers to crayons, the little bugger, but does look like it could be fun.

So any thoughts? Or other places to check out? All in the Allentown, Easton area of northern PA.

Six Flags is out, too young to get much out of it.
I just joined the community today and am American, albeit, one who has come to know over the last several years, that I could have been British in another life.

My son and I visited Dutch Wonderland when he was about 5 or 6 years old and we had a great time.

The best time we had was at Sesame Place. I can remember that my son, then nearer your daughter's age, had so much fun. They have a terrific waterpark for little children - one of his favorite things to do was trying to "catch" the drops of water the fountain "shot" up. Also, he enjoyed using pipes, troughs, etc. to direct the water flow. I remember my husband and older son were enjoying the "bigger" things to do and remember that my younger son played all day long.

I would suggest Sesame Place.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 7:10 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I go with the Sesame Place trip. It is not just the characters but the water activities are great for the kids.

DD did the Hershey tour with the kids 5 yo, 2 yo and 9 mo just after Christmas when they were stranded in NY with the snow storm. The boys loved in. She said the 2 yo's chin had to be pushed up when he saw all the goodies.

Six Flags is right there as well and while it costs quite a bit, you might be able to get discount coupons for the entrance fee and rides.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 7:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Rete

Six Flags is right there as well and while it costs quite a bit, you might be able to get discount coupons for the entrance fee and rides.
That was one consideration, as it is the closest resort, it's about 10 minutes away from the college

They've only just sent out the reunion information, so we've not had a chance to go over it and see what's up, but there were some discount coupons for some places and the like so we'll see what the deal is.

Can't believe what the college is charging for some of the reunion events though, but the missus is one of the co-chairs for the alumni association and it's her 10 year one so be bad form to bail on it
Old Apr 29th 2011, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
... it would have to be!
I thought I'd spite my son by eating one of his tiny easter eggs in front of him (as an example of what you get if you eat all your dinner). Gurgh! Hershey egg. Why is it that Hershey is the only chocolate maker in the US who can't make chocolate that tastes like chocolate? All other chocolates are fine (those from Mars or Nestle)