British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Crash, bang, wallop... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/crash-bang-wallop-798755/)

Ash UK/US Jun 1st 2013 5:51 am

Crash, bang, wallop...

So a few weeks ago I got into a car accident, even though it was low speed (35 mph) I still got banged up pretty bad, I still have bruising etc. In my almost 11 years in the US this was my first accident so I got to sample the delights of car insurance claims and to be honest it effin annoys the crap out of me! Don't get me wrong Geico have been awesome but Michigan is a 'no fault' state, so even though I was in no way responsible I still have to pay the deductibles around $300 :frown: ggggrrrrr, rant over, carry on

Scouse Express Jun 1st 2013 12:06 pm

Re: Crash, bang, wallop...

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US (Post 10735250)
So a few weeks ago I got into a car accident, even though it was low speed (35 mph) I still got banged up pretty bad, I still have bruising etc. In my almost 11 years in the US this was my first accident so I got to sample the delights of car insurance claims and to be honest it effin annoys the crap out of me! Don't get me wrong Geico have been awesome but Michigan is a 'no fault' state, so even though I was in no way responsible I still have to pay the deductibles around $300 :frown: ggggrrrrr, rant over, carry on

Can you claim the deductible from the other's insurance?

Pulaski Jun 1st 2013 1:52 pm

Sorry to hear that Ash. 35mph is a good lick (is going to cause a fair amount of pain even if no bones are broken), so I hope you are making a good recovery.

Manc Jun 1st 2013 3:06 pm

yes, but you can get what is called "broadform" collision which you don't have to pay if the accident isn't your fault.

Manc Jun 1st 2013 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Scouse Express (Post 10735530)

no

Manc Jun 1st 2013 3:08 pm

Michigan is a 'no fault' state,

a drunk driver with a blindfold on reversing down the pavement runs over your little girl.

your car insurance pays her medical bills.

how do you like them apples?

Scouse Express Jun 1st 2013 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 10735689)
yes, but you can get what is called "broadform" collision which you don't have to pay if the accident isn't your fault.

Or, you can get the hell out of Michigan, like certain other people did. ;)

MMcD Jun 1st 2013 3:53 pm

Who?

Ash UK/US Jun 1st 2013 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 10735689)

Yes we have broad form collision so their is no deductible on the car as I was not at fault, however because I was hurt in the accident and had to go to urgent care there is a $300 deductible on medical claims, Geico told me that it will bounce back to health insurance, however we have a HSA and pay everything out of pocket up to $1700 before the insurance kicks in so I am basically stuck paying it.

Ash UK/US Jun 1st 2013 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Scouse Express (Post 10735530)

Nope... Not even via small claims court.

Jerseygirl Jun 1st 2013 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by MMcD (Post 10735731)
Who?

Jan...she went to Alaska...now she's got the hell out of there too. :D

Hope you are OK Ash...sorry to hear about the accident.

Ash UK/US Jun 1st 2013 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 10735596)
Sorry to hear that Ash. 35mph is a good lick (is going to cause a fair amount of pain even if no bones are broken), so I hope you are making a good recovery.

Thanks, getting there, I still have some colorful bruising even now. Crazy lady pulled right out in front of me.... $8000 worth of damage to my car :(

scrubbedexpat097 Jun 1st 2013 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10735780)
Jan...she went to Alaska...now she's got the hell out of there too. :D

.....now she is back in Michigan.

Manc got out;)

Hope you are ok Ash, sorry to hear you were banged about:(

Bob Jun 1st 2013 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 10735694)
a drunk driver with a blindfold on reversing down the pavement runs over your little girl.

your car insurance pays her medical bills.

how do you like them apples?

It's still a bag of wank though.

Same thing in MA.

Bluegrass Lass Jun 1st 2013 10:54 pm

Glad to hear you're ok. We've never lived in a 'no-fault' state and hope we never do after hearing your story!