British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Crap job or no job or wait (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/crap-job-no-job-wait-350573/)

Jaxbar Jan 24th 2006 11:53 pm

Crap job or no job or wait

I am considering if I should take a general job just for the money and experience till i can figure out where my skills fit in. Back home (when I had a life) I had a fairly good job as a careers/ jobsearch worker for a charity and also did pretty well out of jazz singing at functions. OH is going away for 2 months next week so will be on my own. I would have not advised people to do a lower skilled jobs as how it looks on CV, but does that matter here? Is the fact that you've worked better than not. Some of these food workers seem to get pretty good tips I could be very charming!! :confused:

gruffbrown Jan 24th 2006 11:59 pm

Re: Crap job or no job or wait

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
I am considering if I should take a general job just for the money and experience till i can figure out where my skills fit in. Back home (when I had a life) I had a fairly good job as a careers/ jobsearch worker for a charity and also did pretty well out of jazz singing at functions. OH is going away for 2 months next week so will be on my own. I would have not advised people to do a lower skilled jobs as how it looks on CV, but does that matter here? Is the fact that you've worked better than not. Some of these food workers seem to get pretty good tips I could be very charming!! :confused:

Are you bored? Really not metaphorically.

Jaxbar Jan 25th 2006 12:02 am

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Are you bored? Really not metaphorically.

I have cooked some wonderful soups, cleaned the floor, whitened my teeth, taken my driving test, made friends with the fish man at supermarket, tried to sell my blood but they wont take it cos of BSE. it is time to leave Stepford!

gruffbrown Jan 25th 2006 12:04 am

I have cooked some wonderful soups, cleaned the floor, whitened my teeth, taken my driving test, made friends with the fish man at supermarket, tried to sell my blood but they wont take it cos of BSE. it is time to leave Stepford!

Time to get a job (part time or not) that gets you out me thinks. The trouble is with waiting tables is that it's generally in the evenings.

Sue Jan 25th 2006 12:21 am

You could always volunteer at a local charity until you find your feet, and volunteering looks great on a cv.

I started volunteering at a non-profit and loved it so much. It was a great way to learn the ropes and I made loads of new friends. In fact I became so passionate about the work the organisation did that I realised the non-profit sector was the path for me.

In the end when I decided that I needed to get a job I was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time. One of the members of staff left and I was offered the job. Perfect!

Bob Jan 25th 2006 1:35 am

crap job is better than no job, shows that you can work in the US, also you can show skills such as time management or people skills, which always look good on a resume *l*

Terrier Jan 25th 2006 2:01 am

Your OH is having sex with someone else that is why he would agree to go away for 2 months. I have been here for 3 years, I was offerd a job with travelling away for up to 4 weeks away. Turned it down. Workmate of mine was offered same job, and he accepted. I asked him why as he was married about the same time I was..............his reply......................."hotels are full of women away from their husbands and they want to play around!" I asked some more and he told me he had slept with over 50 women since he had been married with women on buisiness trips. I was shocked and some what disgusted/jealous.
Good luck with the job hunt though.

Jaxbar Jan 25th 2006 2:03 am

Originally Posted by Terrier
Your OH is having sex with someone else that is why he would agree to go away for 2 months. I have been here for 3 years, I was offerd a job with travelling away for up to 4 weeks away. Turned it down. Workmate of mine was offered same job, and he accepted. I asked him why as he was married about the same time I was..............his reply......................."hotels are full of women away from their husbands and they want to play around!" I asked some more and he told me he had slept with over 50 women since he had been married with women on buisiness trips. I was shocked and some what disgusted/jealous.
Good luck with the job hunt though.

He works for Uncle Sam goes to jail if he doesnt go

Terrier Jan 25th 2006 2:05 am

Don't understand? He in the forces?

Jaxbar Jan 25th 2006 2:07 am

Don't understand? He in the forces?

can neither confirm nor deny

BigDavyG Jan 25th 2006 2:08 am

That was a very civil reply BL
I thought that it was all about to kick off there fo a minute

Jaxbar Jan 25th 2006 2:11 am

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
That was a very civil reply BL
I thought that it was all about to kick off there fo a minute

I have been practising smiling and nodding at the locals it must have paid off. In my job I was known as the Terrier funnily enough. Management loved me specially as I fought and won to keep the seven weeks hols plus bank holidays, can you see why I'm nervous about getting a job..Grrr

BigDavyG Jan 25th 2006 2:20 am

I have been practising smiling and nodding at the locals it must have paid off. In my job I was known as the Terrier funnily enough. Management loved me specially as I fought and won to keep the seven weeks hols plus bank holidays, can you see why I'm nervous about getting a job..Grrr

Oh, and I think the voluntary idea is a good one if money isn't an issue for you or the alternative is a crappy low paid job anyway.
As I had a job lined up before I came here in the summer i have no idea what its like to hunt for a job in the US as a foreigner, but a few posters seem to have had big problems with it so good luck.

Jaxbar Jan 25th 2006 2:24 am

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Oh, and I think the voluntary idea is a good one if money isn't an issue for you or the alternative is a crappy low paid job anyway.
As I had a job lined up before I came here in the summer i have no idea what its like to hunt for a job in the US as a foreigner, but a few posters seem to have had big problems with it so good luck.

Cheers, I do need money but am more concerned with enjoying work and feeling that I am making a difference, we shall see

Lion in Winter Jan 25th 2006 2:27 am

Your OH is having sex with someone else that is why he would agree to go away for 2 months.

Good grief.

(Retreats back to The Lounge)