Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Craigslist? All replies were cons??

Craigslist? All replies were cons??

Old Dec 30th 2012, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future
Default Re: Craigslist? All replies were cons??

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Anyone want a boat or car dirt cheap?
Depends. What boat? What car?

CWT
Old Dec 30th 2012, 2:32 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Wife sells quite a bit on craigslist. Got to the point where the kids are scared to leave her alone in the house cos they're worried what she'll sell!

There are a fair few dodgy emails, but they are easy to spot. Most of the buyers we've had have been pretty decent folk - straightforward, honest, and rarely even negotiate the price.

Only problem we've had was in selling her car a few months ago. Sale all went smoothly, price agreed easily, funds exchanged and cleared etc. A couple of weeks later the complaints started.... It sounds funny....its got a rattle...... Its got a flat tire..... Carmax say I paid too much....etc etc. Emails started getting weird - vaguely threatening, with biblical quotations and the like. All rather peculiar. Seems to have gone quiet now (hopefully). Next time will trade the car in!
Old Dec 30th 2012, 4:07 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 100weight
Depends. What boat? What car?

CWT
A bayliner and a Mustang
We have bought a couple of cars on Craigslist and sold a few things, but that was about 3 years ago, it seems to have got worse with the scam emails.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 4:10 am
Forum Regular

100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future

A bayliner and a Mustang
Dang! I already have a Mustang. And SWMBO tells me I would have to give up the car to have a boat. Sorry!

CWT
Old Dec 30th 2012, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

I sell motorcyles on CL and I have found the best way to weed out spammers is to ask anyone who is interested to put a specific word in the reply like "Honda".
Overall it works quite well.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I've tried to sell a few things on Craigslist, with no success! My neighbor sells things all the time, so asked her to help me and still no success! I'm going to be selling a couple of dining room sets (bought one before I got rid of the other!!! ) So maybe I'll just give them to her and let her sell them!
Old Dec 30th 2012, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

SATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really nice

A bayliner and a Mustang
We have bought a couple of cars on Craigslist and sold a few things, but that was about 3 years ago, it seems to have got worse with the scam emails.
For vehicles I would recommend auto trader / classic car trader and boat trader.

Most of the folks I see on Craig's list are hit and miss, and do not maintain their ads very well.

Good Luck
Old Dec 30th 2012, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest hiding your address and asking for texts or phone calls. We put the phone number in an odd way so that people who seem to harvest numbers from craigslist somehow don't bother you. 757. 555 1234. for example. The suggestion of using a code word in the email title is also a good one.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

redglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I've tried to sell a few things on Craigslist, with no success! My neighbor sells things all the time, so asked her to help me and still no success! I'm going to be selling a couple of dining room sets (bought one before I got rid of the other!!! ) So maybe I'll just give them to her and let her sell them!
Big ticket items are more difficult to sell. I've bought and sold successfully on Craigslist. As a buyer I appreciate good photographs, specific dimensions and a fairly accurate geographic location.("Houston" is no good, I want to know "Memorial" or "Katy".) Also don't ask for so much money I could go out and buy something new for the price - I don't care how much you paid for it. Rule of thumb - about a third of the price new usually gets a quick sale. As a seller I always insist on buyer to collect and payment in cash.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 7:50 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redglade
Big ticket items are more difficult to sell. I've bought and sold successfully on Craigslist. As a buyer I appreciate good photographs, specific dimensions and a fairly accurate geographic location.("Houston" is no good, I want to know "Memorial" or "Katy".) Also don't ask for so much money I could go out and buy something new for the price - I don't care how much you paid for it. Rule of thumb - about a third of the price new usually gets a quick sale. As a seller I always insist on buyer to collect and payment in cash.
Nail on the head I think alot of it does have to do with the location you are selling in for sure, saying that surprised 'mummy in the foothills" has had problems.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot that I got a home gym on Christmas Eve via Craigslist. I found it on the mobile app - which is sometimes better than the main website - listed for $60 plus gas if delivered (and he was local). A bit missing, as per the advert, he turned up a couple of hours later with a gym that needed assembling. Wife wouldn't let me do it until after Christmas! Had to make a trip to Lowes to get some missing bolts, and fashioned the missing weight guides out of PVC pipe (sod the $22++ each x4 for the "proper" parts), and we had a gym delivered for about $80. Not bad at all! Then, talking to the neighbors about it, they gave us a free running machine as well!

No more excuses for my belly now.
Old Dec 31st 2012, 12:51 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
I forgot that I got a home gym on Christmas Eve via Craigslist. I found it on the mobile app - which is sometimes better than the main website - listed for $60 plus gas if delivered (and he was local). A bit missing, as per the advert, he turned up a couple of hours later with a gym that needed assembling. Wife wouldn't let me do it until after Christmas! Had to make a trip to Lowes to get some missing bolts, and fashioned the missing weight guides out of PVC pipe (sod the $22++ each x4 for the "proper" parts), and we had a gym delivered for about $80. Not bad at all! Then, talking to the neighbors about it, they gave us a free running machine as well!

Lucky you. That sounds like a great deal and a free running machine. Save a fortune on gym membership.
Old Dec 31st 2012, 12:52 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM

You'll have to blame the doughnuts next, they made you do it....
Old Dec 31st 2012, 2:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redglade
The few times that I've done it, I've had photos, and haven't priced anything that high, $10 for a plastic toddler bed, including the mattress, can't be that high....
Old Dec 31st 2012, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Lucky you. That sounds like a great deal and a free running machine. Save a fortune on gym membership.
Yeah, just luck! With the house rental and the (lack of) fridge, it's running at about 67:33 at the moment!

Originally Posted by Bob
You'll have to blame the doughnuts next, they made you do it....
Nah, beer. Overcarbonated, that's what it is!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.