British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   CR1 Interview Waiting Times (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/cr1-interview-waiting-times-320092/)

simonjz Aug 15th 2005 4:28 am

CR1 Interview Waiting Times

Hello,

I received a letter from NVC on the 21st July 2005, stating that the NVC had finished processing my case, and had forwarded my file to the American Embassy in London.

Does anybody know how long it takes from the embassy receiving my file to the embassy issuing the interview date? It has been nearly 2 months now, and I am getting a bit worried that they may have lost the file.

Any information would be helpful. My wife (a USC) and live in Charleston SC, however, I am here on a visa waiver which expires in three weeks. I was hoping that this would all be over by tehn and I would have my green card.

Many Thanks
Simon

Oct 2004 - Sent I-130
Dec 2004 - Received Processing receipt and approval
May 2005 - Sent in Afidavit of support and other docs.
June 2005 - File sent to London Embassy

nai_in_av Aug 15th 2005 10:28 am

Re: CR1 Interview Waiting Times

Originally Posted by simonjz
Does anybody know how long it takes from the embassy receiving my file to the embassy issuing the interview date? It has been nearly 2 months now, and I am getting a bit worried that they may have lost the file.

Any information would be helpful. My wife (a USC) and live in Charleston SC, however, I am here on a visa waiver which expires in three weeks. I was hoping that this would all be over by tehn and I would have my green card.

I think that it does take 2 months, but that's to get the interview. You should have heard something by now, do you have a UK address on your application? they may have sent the interview packet there. Have you had your medical yet at one of the 3 Nuffield hospitals? If I were you I would email/call the London embassy.

simonjz Aug 15th 2005 12:16 pm

Hey... ManyThanks.

I actually emailed the embassy last night, and they replied (automated) with links to various FAQ's. One of the questions was ' How long before I get my interview?'. The answer stated that there was a current backlog and it could take up to 3 months before an interview date is arranged.

I suppose I will just have to wait (again again again again again).

What amazes me though.. is that when my Wife went to get her clearance to stay in the UK. all it took was one form, a hefty fee and an interview... all within 1 month. It just goes to show how much the Americans love their papaerwork and red tape.

Simon

nai_in_av Aug 15th 2005 1:10 pm

What amazes me though.. is that when my Wife went to get her clearance to stay in the UK. all it took was one form, a hefty fee and an interview... all within 1 month. It just goes to show how much the Americans love their papaerwork and red tape.

I know exactly what you mean, my wife is currently here in the UK with me and we are waiting on a CR1 visa. To get her UK visa took little more than a week, so far we have been waiting since February on the US visa, and it's looking like we won't even get an interview before October. Very irritating.

Rete Aug 15th 2005 1:38 pm

The USA forum is NOT for immigration issues but for chat and discussion of lifestyles and culture and their various differences. You would be far better served to post this in the marriage-based forum which deals only with immigration issues for USC and foreign fiancees and spouses.

Your file is not lost. Due to summer vacations and the like, the US Consulate handles only a fraction of the cases that it would normally handle during other seasons of the year. You will need to return to the UK before the expiration of your VWP obviously and you will need to start the lengthy process over there for your CR-1. You need to obtain your police clearance and that can take months to obtain. Then you need to schedule your medical with one of the few doctors/centers authorized to do medical exams for the US Consulate. So adding about three months to your timeline once the US Consulate obtains your paperwork from the NVC, you return home to get your package in the mail and start the process rolling makes it a fair guess that you are looking at from 3 to 6 months. You can, of course, have started the police clearance long before now and it is hoped that you did before you came to the US to visit.

Hello,

I received a letter from NVC on the 21st July 2005, stating that the NVC had finished processing my case, and had forwarded my file to the American Embassy in London.

Many Thanks
Simon

Oct 2004 - Sent I-130
Dec 2004 - Received Processing receipt and approval
May 2005 - Sent in Afidavit of support and other docs.
June 2005 - File sent to London Embassy

meauxna Aug 15th 2005 7:09 pm

It just goes to show how much the Americans love their papaerwork and red tape.

Simon

pfft, why make these comparisons? You think the UK doesn't have strange (to me) regulations and different ways of doing things?

ie: Find a priest who knows you and will vouch for your identity in order to renew your passport?

It's all about size. Did you know that the entire UK is the geographic equivilant (almost equal) to the state of Oregon?
The London Consulate is full up this summer; lots of UKCs wanting their services I suppose.

I thought it was the Americans who have the Fast Food attitude? :)

fatbrit Aug 15th 2005 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna
pfft, why make these comparisons?

Er...so that Britishexpats.com can exist? :rolleyes:

simonjz Aug 15th 2005 7:22 pm

Why are Americans so obsessed with size?

It just seems that everything is a lot more difficult over here, and it is something that I will have to get used to.

S

meauxna Aug 15th 2005 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Er...so that Britishexpats.com can exist? :rolleyes:

heheh.. karma worthy!

fatbrit Aug 15th 2005 7:32 pm

heheh.. karma worthy!

I'll forgive you as Mr. Peter Andre has been winding you all up again down below with the "Barge Pole" question. Are you guys going to seek a solution, or am I going to get to enjoy it every time it happens? There's certainly a solution, but you'll all have to get together to sort it out.

meauxna Aug 15th 2005 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I'll forgive you as Mr. Peter Andre has been winding you all up again down below with the "Barge Pole" question. Are you guys going to seek a solution, or am I going to get to enjoy it every time it happens? There's certainly a solution, but you'll all have to get together to sort it out.

Wha? Sorry, didn't hear that. I've been taking some British clerk training. Look what I just learned!

"That's not my job".
Good, innit?

simonjz: When you're used to it, it won't be difficult anymore :)

fatbrit Aug 15th 2005 7:55 pm

"That's not my job".
Good, innit?

You're nearly fluent, lass. Sit yer down and have yerself a cuppa.