Reload this Page >

CR1 Health Insurance

CR1 Health Insurance

Old Nov 18th 2019, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

craig10104 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CR1 Health Insurance

Hi,

I am a UKC and my wife is a USC and we're currently going through the process of the CR1 visa with the London embassy and plan on moving in September 2020. She's currently in the UK studying her for her masters degree so does not have a job in the USA. She's currently under her parents health insurance (we're both 21) and when we move I don't suspect being able to be put under the same insurance but I am not positive on this as I don't yet fully understand the process. I'm currently a software developer of 4 years so I don't suspect to hit too much trouble in getting a job however I am wondering what people do in the interim of getting getting a job with health insurance. It is my understanding that travel insurance is not appropriate for this use and the only thing I figure is going private. If it's any use we'll initially be moving to upstate New York.

I am curious as to how people have approached this without spending a bucket load of money. We have budgeted in a fair amount of money for this purpose but any money saved is a plus!

Many thanks in advance for the responses.
Old Nov 18th 2019, 8:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CR1 Health Insurance

You won't be eligible to be on your in-laws health insurance. She will be able to continue on their plan.

You'll need to research your State's exchange for insurance plans or short term insurance for cover until you get a job.

https://nystateofhealth.ny.gov/
Old Nov 18th 2019, 8:59 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I believe the new requirements also say you have to show proof of being insured in order to get the visa. I don't know if that will be required in Sept 2020, but letting you know just in case.

Rene
Old Nov 18th 2019, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

craig10104 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I believe the new requirements also say you have to show proof of being insured in order to get the visa. I don't know if that will be required in Sept 2020, but letting you know just in case.

Rene
Yeah I did see signs of that in other threads, hopefully it isn't too much of a pain getting insurance before the visa being issued in that case.
Old Nov 19th 2019, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Get your LinkedIn updated, set your location as NY, and start connecting with some recruitment firms. If possible line up some interviews either remote or ASAP after you move. That way you can hopefully land a job soon and get onto a corporate health insurance plan.

​​​​​
Old Nov 19th 2019, 12:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by craig10104
Yeah I did see signs of that in other threads, hopefully it isn't too much of a pain getting insurance before the visa being issued in that case.

You won't get any US based insurance companies providing you with insurance prior to you getting the visa. UK based International companies will though.