Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

CR-1, I-551 and finance

CR-1, I-551 and finance

Old Oct 24th 2017, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

Chins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CR-1, I-551 and finance

So i am talking to people re car finance. As people point out there are various schemes for people moving over with no credit.

I have already said one company cant deal with me and have now turned to others.

The issue seems to be they want to see a Permanent Residents Card or I-94. See below from VW.

"Copy of Visa with expiration date (with picture blacked out). For applicants who plan to extend their stay beyond the date shown on their Visa, we will accept the length of stay in the U.S. shown on the applicant's employment letter, employment contract, Permanent Resident Card, or I-94 form in order to determine the special finance terms"

Now i enter and get my I-551 valid for one year. So i guess it looks like i am only allowed for one year. When my physical card shows up what expiry date does that have ?

So worry is I need to wait for a card and even then as I'm on a CR-1 what date it shows for finance
Old Oct 24th 2017, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CR-1, I-551 and finance

For a CR-1 the expiry date on your actual green card should be two years from the date you entered the US on your immigrant visa.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

OK. Thanks. Wonder how finance companies will view all this !
Old Oct 24th 2017, 4:25 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought. You have a USC spouse can't the lease be in both your names so that the expiration date of your I-551 and subsequent hard green card will not be an issue?
Old Oct 24th 2017, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

That’s what the VW dealer suggested. Whilst my wife is a USC and has a good credit rating she doesn’t have a job. Therefore we though to use the expats car leasing route.

Expats ride also seem stuck on dealing with marriage visa’s
Old Oct 24th 2017, 9:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chins
That’s what the VW dealer suggested. Whilst my wife is a USC and has a good credit rating she doesn’t have a job. Therefore we though to use the expats car leasing route.

Expats ride also seem stuck on dealing with marriage visa’s
I came in on a CR-1 and my wife didn't have a job. I had a job lined up.

IAS didn't have a problem with my situation, but I was buying not leasing, and this wasn't recently, so I guess the rules could have changed.

FWIW the whole deal was agreed and signed while I was still in the UK, and the car was delivered around the sender time as I received my green card, six weeks after arriving in the US. IAS certainly didn't have the info from my green card before I received the car.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 24th 2017 at 9:36 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 9:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

My work took a copy of my CR-1 visa in the back of my passport. Doesn't the visa say that it acts as a temporary i-551 / evidence of permanent resident?
Old Oct 25th 2017, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mrken30
My work took a copy of my CR-1 visa in the back of my passport. Doesn't the visa say that it acts as a temporary i-551 / evidence of permanent resident?
Yes it does. The issue i guess is that some leases will be tied to the length of the visa and this only shows as one year.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 12:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chins
Yes it does. The issue i guess is that some leases will be tied to the length of the visa and this only shows as one year.
You need to get the message across that you are a permanent resident, not someone on a limited-life visa. If an L-1x expires you have to leave the country, but when your I-551 expires after one year, and your green card (derived from a CR-1) expires after two years, you will still be a permanent resident.

It appears that the people you are dealing with don't understand that, and if you keep on talking about visas and that they expire, you aren't helping yourself. You need to focus on emphasizing "I am a permanent resident .... ".

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 25th 2017 at 1:22 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You need to get the message across that you are a permanent resident, not someone on a limited-life visa. If an L-1x expires you have to leave the country, when your I-551 expires after one year, and your green card (derived from a CR-1) expires after two years, you will still be a permanent resident.

It appears that the people you are dealing with don't understand that, and if you keep on talking about visas and that they expire, you aren't helping yourself. You need to focus on emphasizing "I am a permanent resident .... ".
100% agreed.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

An example might be to say if you have a temporary drivers license does that mean your license will expire and you will no longer be able to drive? This is a temporary i-551 which can be renewed.