British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/covid-19-travel-immigration-usa-please-check-here-ask-questions-932378/)

andyrebell Sep 13th 2020 6:08 pm

Re: Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions

Originally Posted by Mercury39 (Post 12909497)
That's a huge conclusion to jump too, I don't see how it at all suggests that they will get rid of the visa waiver program.

How else will they confirm vaccination of travellers at least for a while until this really goes away? I don't see them simply taking your word for it and a vaccination certificate could be forged. And it would take far too long to test everyone at the border. The delays would be hours long.

And I don't understand what this news update changes? The majority of the persons are still banned?. And people exempt will still have to quarantine upon arrival?

postbox134 Sep 13th 2020 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by andyrebell (Post 12909501)
How else will they confirm vaccination of travellers at least for a while until this really goes away? I don't see them simply taking your word for it and a vaccination certificate could be forged. And it would take far too long to test everyone at the border. The delays would be hours long.

And I don't understand what this news update changes? The majority of the persons are still banned?. And people exempt will still have to quarantine upon arrival?

No need to cancel visas or ESTAs, the current ban is purely on where you've recently been physically located. Although it doesn't make so much sense now considering the US is arguably in worse shape than the banned regions... The change in the above posts merely stops them funneling all these travels through a smaller number of airports. I imagine that was unsustainable practically with slowly increasing travel.

How can a vaccine certificate be required for entry when there's no vaccince available?

andyrebell Sep 13th 2020 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by postbox134 (Post 12909505)
No need to cancel visas or ESTAs, the current ban is purely on where you've recently been physically located. Although it doesn't make so much sense now considering the US is arguably in worse shape than the banned regions... The change in the above posts merely stops them funneling all these travels through a smaller number of airports. I imagine that was unsustainable practically with slowly increasing travel.

How can a vaccine certificate be required for entry when there's no vaccince available?

Wouldn't bigger airports have more sense from the start? Better social distancing and all that?. By the time the borders are reopened to all travellers I suspect that will want some sort of proof of vaccination. Ok there are a few ways you can do it. Maybe at the airport of departure. They can assign the flight gate straight away and do the testing at the gate in the time after check in but before you board. Transmit the information to the CPB in flight with the advance passenger information. Backed up with a ten year ban or life ban for lying about being vaccinated if vaccination is required for entry. That could be one way.

retzie Sep 13th 2020 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by postbox134 (Post 12909505)

You haven't met andyrebell before, have you? :sneaky:

Pontificating about what will happen 17 steps ahead is a complete waste of time, especially when we don't know what the very next step will be. This thread is supposed to be for practical information, so I'm going to suggest Andy keeps these theories in the Trailer Park threads where they belong.

andyrebell Sep 14th 2020 10:32 am

Originally Posted by retzie (Post 12909617)
You haven't met andyrebell before, have you? :sneaky:

Pontificating about what will happen 17 steps ahead is a complete waste of time, especially when we don't know what the very next step will be. This thread is supposed to be for practical information, so I'm going to suggest Andy keeps these theories in the Trailer Park threads where they belong.

The next steps are self explanatory. The borders will remain closed until the vaccine hits the general public no matter who is in the white house. I would say that was pretty obvious. When they reopen the borders they will want some kind of proof of vaccination to admit the traveller?. I don't know how you would show that. I have never in my life been asked to show proof of vaccination. Though I have never travelled to a country that needed it to be fair. And medical records are protected in UK by European GDPR and the doctor patients rules. I doubt they will simply take your word for it.

christmasoompa Sep 14th 2020 10:43 am

Originally Posted by andyrebell (Post 12909750)
The next steps are self explanatory. The borders will remain closed until the vaccine hits the general public no matter who is in the white house. I would say that was pretty obvious. When they reopen the borders they will want some kind of proof of vaccination to admit the traveller?. I don't know how you would show that. I have never in my life been asked to show proof of vaccination. Though I have never travelled to a country that needed it to be fair. And medical records are protected in UK by European GDPR and the doctor patients rules. I doubt they will simply take your word for it.

Proof of vaccination for entry isn't unheard of, many countries do it. You don't need medical records, you just need a vaccination certificate. But as said above, this isn't the place for your random musings, this is a thread for up to date info. Please do keep your theories to The Trailer Park, thx.

robin1234 Sep 14th 2020 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12909753)
Proof of vaccination for entry isn't unheard of, many countries do it. You don't need medical records, you just need a vaccination certificate. But as said above, this isn't the place for your random musings, this is a thread for up to date info. Please do keep your theories to The Trailer Park, thx.

True. I go to my local pharmacy (rural New York State, this is) for a flu shot each fall. The paperwork they give me as part of the transaction include a piece of paper that gives a technical, detailed description of the vaccine used, my name and address, time & date etc. I imagine this is pretty standard for all vaccinations.

andyrebell Sep 14th 2020 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12909753)

I will start a new thread to discuss this then in that section.

jammiie Sep 14th 2020 4:01 pm

So, to clarify, does today's update change anything regarding UK citizens entering the US on ESTAs again?

Tino Sep 15th 2020 3:39 am

Originally Posted by jammiie (Post 12909851)
So, to clarify, does today's update change anything regarding UK citizens entering the US on ESTAs again?

No*

*the impact is anyone that was already eligible to travel can arrive at any airport, not just the previously mandated 15 airports.

bylee1216 Sep 15th 2020 5:17 am

Hello all!

I've done some more digging and came across some helpful info (hopefully helpful to some).
  • So yes that CBP document is to only lift restrictions for those who are eligible to travel to arrive at any US airport rather than the previous 15 airports where health screenings were more strict.
  • The presidential proclamation is still in effect barring some citizens of certain countries from traveling to the US if they were there for the previous 14 days.
Someone did post here a answer to my original question about my girlfriend (UK citizen) being able to travel to the US from Dubai and I'll have supporting facts from the actual ESTA website.
  • Yes she is able to travel to the US with her ESTA if she was outside the UK for 14+ days. However from Dubai to San Francisco, its either a connecting flight from ICN in Korea or LHR. She cannot have a connecting flight in the UK/Schengen area as she'll be considered as "physically present" in that country despite it being a transit.

Does the restriction also apply to passengers who transited through United Kingdom, excluding overseas territories outside of Europe, or the Republic of Ireland, but did not enter it?

Yes. The Proclamation applies to all travelers, except for those who are exempt, who have been physically present within the United Kingdom, excluding overseas territories outside of Europe, or the Republic of Ireland or the Schengen Area within 14 days of travel to the United States. Physical presence includes transiting through the United Kingdom, excluding overseas territories outside of Europe, or the Republic of Ireland.

I initially intended to travel into/through the United States and was prohibited from doing so due to the 212(f) Proclamations and my ESTA was cancelled. I have now been outside of the countries identified in the 212(f) Proclamations (United Kingdom (excluding overseas territories outside of Europe), the Republic of Ireland, the Schengen Zone, Iran, or China) for at least 14 days, what do I do next?

Travelers whose ESTAs were canceled solely because of the Proclamations, and who are no longer subject to the current 212(f) Proclamations (meaning they have been outside one of the designated areas for more than 14-days preceding their travel to the United States or are otherwise exempt), may apply for a new ESTA and seek to enter or transit through the United States.

What if I am a British Citizen (GBR) and/or an Irish passport holder with a valid ESTA but I have not been present in a Schengen country within 14 days of my travel to the United States?

Travelers are now subject to the March 14, 2020 Proclamation if they were physically present within the United Kingdom, excluding overseas territories outside of Europe, or the Republic of Ireland during the 14-day period preceding their entry to the United States. This prohibition necessarily includes direct travel from, and transit through, the United Kingdom, excluding overseas territories outside of Europe, or the Republic of Ireland within the 14 day period. If you have not been in the United Kingdom, excluding overseas territories outside of Europe, or the Republic of Ireland during the 14-day period preceding entry, and you are not departing from or transiting through the United Kingdom, excluding overseas territories outside of Europe, or the Republic of Ireland during your travel to the United States, then you are not subject to the March 14, 2020 Proclamation. However, you may be subject to Proclamation 9993 applicable to the Schengen Area if you have been physically present in the Schengen Area within 14 days of travel to the United States.

Directly from the CBP/DHS/ESTA website.

andyrebell Sep 16th 2020 10:46 am

https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/1268...l-corridor-us/

According to the sun statements made by Virgin Atlantic's COO seem to imply that New York is being considered as the first so called "air bridge with USA". Make of that statement by Virgin what you will but according to the telegraph discussions are going on at a very senior level. We shall see.

petitefrancaise Sep 16th 2020 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by andyrebell (Post 12910671)
https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/1268...l-corridor-us/

According to the sun statements made by Virgin Atlantic's COO seem to imply that New York is being considered as the first so called "air bridge with USA". Make of that statement by Virgin what you will but according to the telegraph discussions are going on at a very senior level. We shall see.

Please can you restrict your utter nonsense to one thread? This thread was supposed to be a place where people who needed good solid reliable information could come and get it. Nobody wants to see your regurgitated tripe about what might happen.

Lion in Winter Sep 17th 2020 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12910832)
Please can you restrict your utter nonsense to one thread? This thread was supposed to be a place where people who needed good solid reliable information could come and get it. Nobody wants to see your regurgitated tripe about what might happen.

+1.

I'm looking for actual info, not gossip.

Jerseygirl Sep 17th 2020 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12910832)

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12911199)
+1.

I'm looking for actual info, not gossip.

He has now left the room.

nikkif99uk Oct 21st 2020 7:47 pm

Anyone seen any updates in regard to K1 visas. I know some filers have a lawsuit going against the State department I could not afford the $1000 fee to join

brocioli Jan 12th 2021 12:48 pm

Hi all. New to this forum, seems like you are a very helpful bunch so wondering if anyone has written to the US embassy recently and successfully requested a "national interest exception" to enter the US right now? Here's my situation:

I'm British but currently living and working in the US on an O1-B visa. I work full-time for a company in New York that are the sponsor of my O1.

I had to travel back to UK over the Christmas break for family/personal reasons, and I am presently in UK (on first arrival in UK I quarantined alone for 14 days before seeing anyone).
I now have to return to NYC for my job and according to Presidential Proclamation 9666, the O1 visa is also not allowed entry into US right now! I need to write to the US embassy and "request a National Interest consideration", and then hope that they are able to grant that to me.

So my questions are:
a) has anyone successfully requested this recently? and
b) if yes, is there anything specific you need to write in your request / any tips for success?
c) did you encounter any difficulties on arrival in US airport with the border control officers, despite you having been granted the National Interest waiver?
d) any general info on the process you experienced would be great to hear

Any and all help is appreciated!

jammiie Jan 12th 2021 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by brocioli (Post 12957595)
Hi all. New to this forum, seems like you are a very helpful bunch so wondering if anyone has written to the US embassy recently and successfully requested a "national interest exception" to enter the US right now? Here's my situation:

I'm British but currently living and working in the US on an O1-B visa. I work full-time for a company in New York that are the sponsor of my O1.

I had to travel back to UK over the Christmas break for family/personal reasons, and I am presently in UK (on first arrival in UK I quarantined alone for 14 days before seeing anyone).
I now have to return to NYC for my job and according to Presidential Proclamation 9666, the O1 visa is also not allowed entry into US right now! I need to write to the US embassy and "request a National Interest consideration", and then hope that they are able to grant that to me.

So my questions are:
b) if yes, is there anything specific you need to write in your request / any tips for success?
c) did you encounter any difficulties on arrival in US airport with the border control officers, despite you having been granted the National Interest waiver?

I don't know about the exemption so I can't help there but worst-case scenario you could go elsewhere for two weeks and then enter the US from there.

Did you not check if you'd be allowed back in before you left?

tht Jan 12th 2021 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by brocioli (Post 12957595)

So my questions are:

How do you aid the US national interest? Asking for others who have been approved won’t help you much if your role is not considered to fall in to that. e.g. vaccine development, it seems like you are in motion pictures and television?

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 12th 2021 5:51 pm

I would seek advice from your Company Lawyer as they are the ones who will be most familiar with your situation.

I know someone on a L1 but with a US Spouse who recently travelled back now he had to show his marriage Certificate on check in and also arrival, had a quick trip to Secondary. I would expect the same with a NIW.

karenkaren1 Jan 12th 2021 10:25 pm

my friend and her family on 01 visas were in UK over xmas. They had a few issues getting back but her husbands work backed up their request for NI waiver by writing a letter stating his duties, which have nothing to do with Covid just that he does manage a lot of USCs

petitefrancaise Jan 13th 2021 2:59 am

Will add to pinned thread in immi forum as well
Negative covid test will be required to enter the USA from January 26th. No surprises there except that it took them so long.
https://www.reuters.com/article/heal...-idINKBN29I095

destone Jan 13th 2021 4:28 am

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12957997)
Will add to pinned thread in immi forum as well
Negative covid test will be required to enter the USA from January 26th. No surprises there except that it took them so long.
https://www.reuters.com/article/heal...-idINKBN29I095

The anticipated next step on this front may be that the new administration will revoke the blanket travel-ban as it pertains to Brazil, Schengen/EU, UK.

jammiie Jan 13th 2021 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12957778)
I would seek advice from your Company Lawyer as they are the ones who will be most familiar with your situation.

I know someone on a L1 but with a US Spouse who recently travelled back now he had to show his marriage Certificate on check in and also arrival, had a quick trip to Secondary. I would expect the same with a NIW.

I came back in on L1 last week with my USC child and had to show their birth certificate and had a 45 min wait in secondary while they checked something.

destone Jan 13th 2021 6:05 pm

I traveled on L-1A with a NIW issued by the US Embassy in London. It took 30 mins to check in at the First Wing at Heathrow. There was a DHS employee who got called over by BA staff to check if my NIW was indeed valid. He had a portable device in his hand and took a picture of my passport. Then he asked a series of questions as to why I was eligible for the NIW. I explained that I work in a critical infrastructure, I am an executive, named my employer and the nature of my role. He then told the BA staff that I am good to go.

Wh431 Jan 14th 2021 3:01 am

I travelled from LHR to Chicago (on a Green card) and back last week and there were no issues whatsoever.

The only new requirement is to have a negative covid test in the UK, which is to be done within 72 hrs before the departure. It was 50£ same day test results at Luton airport.

The plane was only 40% occupied and there were no questions asked whatsoever at Chicago Ohare airport. All in all an easy and straightforward trip.

TamW20 Jan 15th 2021 11:43 am

Originally Posted by destone (Post 12958319)
I traveled on L-1A with a NIW issued by the US Embassy in London. It took 30 mins to check in at the First Wing at Heathrow. There was a DHS employee who got called over by BA staff to check if my NIW was indeed valid. He had a portable device in his hand and took a picture of my passport. Then he asked a series of questions as to why I was eligible for the NIW. I explained that I work in a critical infrastructure, I am an executive, named my employer and the nature of my role. He then told the BA staff that I am good to go.

quick question. When you applied for your embassy appointment (under the NIW) how far off was the appointment date you were given? My husband will be doing this but we're unsure when to apply for the interview as we're just waiting for our house sale to complete. Just wondered if I could get a general idea of how near or far the date might be. Thanks.

destone Jan 15th 2021 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by TamW20 (Post 12959312)
quick question. When you applied for your embassy appointment (under the NIW) how far off was the appointment date you were given? My husband will be doing this but we're unsure when to apply for the interview as we're just waiting for our house sale to complete. Just wondered if I could get a general idea of how near or far the date might be. Thanks.

I requested on 8 Dec and it got approved 18 Dec, so for me it was 9 business days. The waiver is valid for one-time travel only, and mine was valid until 16 Jan. In the end, I flew on 10 Jan. Once I landed there were no questions from CBP, they just wanted to see the negative Covid-19 test result. My L-1A was issued in 2019 (and still valid) so I didn’t need an Embassy appointment.

TamW20 Jan 17th 2021 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by destone (Post 12959620)
I requested on 8 Dec and it got approved 18 Dec, so for me it was 9 business days. The waiver is valid for one-time travel only, and mine was valid until 16 Jan. In the end, I flew on 10 Jan. Once I landed there were no questions from CBP, they just wanted to see the negative Covid-19 test result. My L-1A was issued in 2019 (and still valid) so I didn’t need an Embassy appointment.

Thanks for that! So did the embassy give you an appointment date for interview or did you get to choose once the national exemption was granted? I'm guessing they give you the date but just wanted to check. Thanks for your help! Are you enjoying yourself over there?

destone Jan 19th 2021 3:30 am

Originally Posted by TamW20 (Post 12960214)
Thanks for that! So did the embassy give you an appointment date for interview or did you get to choose once the national exemption was granted? I'm guessing they give you the date but just wanted to check. Thanks for your help! Are you enjoying yourself over there?

As my visa was (is) still valid, I didn't need an in-person appointment. I merely emailed the Embassy regarding my travel plans (including dates), and they issued the waiver accordingly (valid for 2 weeks after my requested travel dates).

The current administration announced today that they are revoking the travel ban, however, the new administration vowed to restore it (?). For one, I hope it won't be in its current form, as it's questionable why F visa-holders can travel back-and-forth but not L1 visa-holders.

tht Jan 19th 2021 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by destone (Post 12960888)
As my visa was (is) still valid, I didn't need an in-person appointment. I merely emailed the Embassy regarding my travel plans (including dates), and they issued the waiver accordingly (valid for 2 weeks after my requested travel dates).

The current administration announced today that they are revoking the travel ban, however, the new administration vowed to restore it (?). For one, I hope it won't be in its current form, as it's questionable why F visa-holders can travel back-and-forth but not L1 visa-holders.

Agreed it does not seem like anyone non essential should be allowed to travel here without a combination of testing and adequate/supervised isolation (at the travelers own cost to a void a burden on US tax payers) on arrival to ensure someone negative is not a carrier who has not developed enough viral load to test positive. The NZ model despite the odd issue seems to have worked well and would be a good model. Arbitrary discrimination based on visa type seems un-equitable.

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 19th 2021 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by tht (Post 12961128)
Agreed it does not seem like anyone non essential should be allowed to travel here without a combination of testing and adequate/supervised isolation (at the travelers own cost to a void a burden on US tax payers) on arrival to ensure someone negative is not a carrier who has not developed enough viral load to test positive. The NZ model despite the odd issue seems to have worked well and would be a good model. Arbitrary discrimination based on visa type seems un-equitable.

How could that be done in a US context, NZ has obvious geographic advantages.

postbox134 Jan 19th 2021 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12961187)

Considering that both the northern and southern land borders are closed, everyone will be arriving by air or sea. In that case, it wouldn't be impossible to enforce testing at boarding and is what they are intending to do on the 26th anyway for US Citizens and LPRs.

tht Jan 19th 2021 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12961187)

You scale it out. For every POE you identify and establish sites. So if NZ has maybe 3 international airport... you x that by 20 or so for the US, or designate say 10 international airports and maybe a handful of land or sea POE’s and deploy a similar set-up. You would likely see travel reduced so the task would become easier anyway. If NZ can do it and the US can’t with all our resources there is something very wrong...my understanding was the laws needed are already there and were used for things like Ebola so it should be pretty straightforward.

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 19th 2021 3:52 pm

US has never been able to control its Borders, and as far as I am aware the incoming Administration is not going to want to move in that direction.

tht Jan 19th 2021 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12961197)
US has never been able to control its Borders, and as far as I am aware the incoming Administration is not going to want to move in that direction.

Well they control the official ones... agree if people don’t present at a POE it wound be harder. But doable at POE and most people arriving by air are unlikely to try an illegal crossing...

destone Feb 16th 2021 12:52 am

Quick update:
I traveled back to LAX on Sun 14 Feb (L-1A with valid National Interest Exception provided by the US Embassy in London), attempted entry via Global Entry (have been a member for years). This worked fine when I traveled to LAX on Sun 10 Jan; I just had to show my negative Covid-19 test result, and I was on my way. (I already got grilled at LHR at check-in if I had an NIE etc., a process that takes 30 mins)

However, this time, the CBP officer asked me why I am traveling, to which I responded "I work here". He didn't say a thing but called over a colleague of his. Said colleague, with my passport in his hand, walked me to the CBP "Admissibility Review Office" (private room, special CBP card entry only). I was seated down, and in a few minutes was asked to attend one of the booths within this room. The CBP officer (new person) asked who I worked for, and how long I spent outside the US (to which I replied three weeks). He then stamped my passport, and I was on my way.

What I found strange is that I was not asked for the Covid-19 test result, nor if I had a National Interest Exception (though they must see this on their end on the computer). I would have assumed the primary CBP officer (by the GE kiosk) could have pulled up the NIE information on his computer.

Has anyone encountered a similar situation?

lme30005 Feb 18th 2021 1:51 pm

I have searched and googled everywhere for the answer to this question but can't find anything that specifically answers it. My husbands parents are US citizens and live in the US but we are UK citizens and passport holders. Is he exempt under the proclamations exemption for being a 'child' of a US citizen? Or is there an age limit of the child ie under 21? I can't find an age limit anywhere and can't seem to get hold of the embassy to ask. His mother is quite ill with cancer and going through some pretty nasty treatment. We are desperately trying to find a way to visit (we will quarantine and test when we get there) as we don't know whether we will see her again at this rate. Thanks

Tino Feb 18th 2021 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by lme30005 (Post 12974909)
I have searched and googled everywhere for the answer to this question but can't find anything that specifically answers it. My husbands parents are US citizens and live in the US but we are UK citizens and passport holders. Is he exempt under the proclamations exemption for being a 'child' of a US citizen? Or is there an age limit of the child ie under 21? I can't find an age limit anywhere and can't seem to get hold of the embassy to ask. His mother is quite ill with cancer and going through some pretty nasty treatment. We are desperately trying to find a way to visit (we will quarantine and test when we get there) as we don't know whether we will see her again at this rate. Thanks

*edit* misread child and parent travel. The proclamation does not appear to apply any further restriction on the child of a USC per https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/fi...20Guidance.pdf

The suspension of entry under the proclamation does not apply to: ... v. any alien who is the child, foster child, or ward of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, or who is a prospective adoptee seeking to enter the United States pursuant to the IR-4 or IH-4 visa classifications;
Based on this it would allow your husband to travel but not you.

lme30005 Feb 18th 2021 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Tino (Post 12974915)
The USC or PR must be under 21 and unmarried, yes. Per https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/fi...20Guidance.pdf

That info suggested the parent alien must have a USC child under 21. What about the other way round, where the child is the alien but the parent is a USC? Or am I just getting confused?!