British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/covid-19-travel-immigration-usa-please-check-here-ask-questions-932378/)

Rete May 17th 2020 12:53 am

Re: Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions

Hubby and I are on court ordered quarantine for 14 days. We went for testing yesterday. We have been in contact with a former neighbor helping her out with shopping, laundry, etc. She has tested positive.

When you get the test apparently down here the state dept of health is contacted and they in turn called us, completed the questionnaire on the phone and emailed us the court order. Now we wait for the test results to come back.

cautiousjon May 17th 2020 6:13 am

Which state are you in Rete?

petitefrancaise May 17th 2020 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12854146)
Hubby and I are on court ordered quarantine for 14 days. We went for testing yesterday. We have been in contact with a former neighbor helping her out with shopping, laundry, etc. She has tested positive.

When you get the test apparently down here the state dept of health is contacted and they in turn called us, completed the questionnaire on the phone and emailed us the court order. Now we wait for the test results to come back.

fingers crossed Rete. Must be stressful waiting - have they given you an idea of how long before you get the results?

Rete May 17th 2020 1:51 pm

We are in Mississippi. Got the email this morning that we tested negative for the live virus. Phew! Still under court order not to leave the house until May 21. A few more days to go. If caught outside the home, there is a $5,000 fine.

Hubby still be spending his birthday tomorrow in isolation. I'll make him a chocolate birthday cake and see what's in the freezer for a special dinner.

Jerseygirl May 17th 2020 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12854294)
We are in Mississippi. Got the email this morning that we tested negative for the live virus. Phew! Still under court order not to leave the house until May 21. A few more days to go. If caught outside the home, there is a $5,000 fine.

Hubby still be spending his birthday tomorrow in isolation. I'll make him a chocolate birthday cake and see what's in the freezer for a special dinner.

excellent news Rete, it must be a huge relief. :thumbsup:

Rete May 17th 2020 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12854322)
excellent news Rete, it must be a huge relief. :thumbsup:

Definitely was JG. Huge sigh of relief on our end.

lizzyq May 17th 2020 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12854294)

That is good news for the two of you. Stay safe and well and I hope your freezer yields a suitable dinner :)

lizzyq May 27th 2020 7:54 pm

The US Embassy in London today tweeted this link updated on 26th May 2020 https://uk.usembassy.gov/information...d-19-outbreak/

and also this

robin1234 May 28th 2020 7:14 am

Originally Posted by lizzyq (Post 12858667)
The US Embassy in London today tweeted this link updated on 26th May 2020 https://uk.usembassy.gov/information...d-19-outbreak/

and also this
https://twitter.com/USAinUKConsular/...59472036364290

I looked at that page for US citizens and reading between the lines, it more or less says, “We aren’t working now. You’re on your own.”
:lol:

petitefrancaise May 28th 2020 1:06 pm

there was some good information about extension/reissuance of visas and how to go about it.
good catch from LizzyQ!

lriii May 28th 2020 8:26 pm

Hello

We finally received our IR1 visa last week, It expires on the the 10th of September.

Husband is the USC (me). My wife is the UKC

The uphill battle we have now is the travel ban and the immigration ban. Our plan is to enter the US in Dallas and get the visa stamped and receive my wife’s LPR. I have searched all through these forums and found some very helpful information. So my question is, once the travel ban is lifted and IF the immigration ban is extended will we be able to travel and be admitted to the US under IR1?

TexanScot May 29th 2020 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by lriii (Post 12859129)
Husband is the USC (me). My wife is the UKC

So my question is, once the travel ban is lifted and IF the immigration ban is extended will we be able to travel and be admitted to the US under IR1?
Are you sure it applies to them?

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...ronavirus.html

"U.S. citizens are not subject to the proclamations."

Also:

"Some exceptions include, but are not limited to: foreign diplomats traveling to the United States on A or G visas and certain family members of U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents including; spouses"

lriii May 29th 2020 10:05 pm

Thanks for your reply. I have seen this same information in the link you provided. Much appreciated, we have tried to contact the embassy but are not having much luck,

I just wish there was a simple and easy to follow chart to say which visa allow travel during both bans. So confusing.

bex20 Jun 5th 2020 10:52 am

Just as cv-19 was starting off I was supposed to transfer from the UK to the US on an L1 visa. That stalled naturally, but I've now been told to book a visa appointment when available, from some time after mid July. My employer will be using the blanket L1 visa process. As far as I can see there's no way of booking an appointment anywhere, either in the UK or elsewhere. Being a UK citizen I presume I'd have to book the appointment in the UK even if, say, a US embassy elsewhere in Europe opens first? My wife is a dual citizen with US citizenship too which might make entry to the US easier if I could get the visa.

Has there been any indication of when the US embassy might open up for appointments again? Any other advice?

Thanks in advance

matthews94 Jun 5th 2020 11:34 am

Wondering if anyone can clarify whether my newborn daughter and I can enter the USA from London. We're both UKCs but my husband and son (7y) are both USCs and about to travel back without us. I'm staying behind because my daughter still needs routine vaccinations. We have been unable to get my daughter's CRBA and US passport since the embassy shut down but she does have her UK passport. If I wanted to join my husband and son, would I be able to enter without them present at border control with me? What kind of documents would you recommend taking i.e. marriage certificate? This is all based on my understanding that spouses and children of US citizens are exempt from all of the travel restrictions so please correct me if I am wrong. Any advice would be much appreciated!

TexanScot Jun 5th 2020 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by bex20 (Post 12862319)
Being a UK citizen I presume I'd have to book the appointment in the UK even if, say, a US embassy elsewhere in Europe opens first?

There's no hard requirement that you book the appointment in your country of citizenship, although a lot of embassies have local policies that they will only offer visa services to those who have legal residency in their country of operation due to local familiarity with documentation requirements, background checks with the authorities and so on.

My wife is a dual citizen with US citizenship too which might make entry to the US easier if I could get the visa.

It currently makes you exempt from some of the travel restrictions, but you'll still need a visa if you want to enter in L-1 status.

I'm not sure what your employer does, but do you have any way of construing your employment in the US as a bona fide emergency or being in the national interest?

petitefrancaise Jun 5th 2020 1:48 pm

She's a USC spouse and her child is under 21 and parent is a USC spouse. That would exempt them from travel restrictions but would need to show proof I guess. Marriage certificate and birth certificate for baby. Phone airline and ask what documents they would need to see? Get USC husband to email the embassy to ask. ( My USC son has been getting replies to questions from his local US embassy).
I don't know anything about whether the baby would need a US passport to enter the USA. Is the baby a USC yet?

Rete Jun 5th 2020 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by matthews94 (Post 12862337)
Wondering if anyone can clarify whether my newborn daughter and I can enter the USA from London. We're both UKCs but my husband and son (7y) are both USCs and about to travel back without us. I'm staying behind because my daughter still needs routine vaccinations. We have been unable to get my daughter's CRBA and US passport since the embassy shut down but she does have her UK passport. If I wanted to join my husband and son, would I be able to enter without them present at border control with me? What kind of documents would you recommend taking i.e. marriage certificate? This is all based on my understanding that spouses and children of US citizens are exempt from all of the travel restrictions so please correct me if I am wrong. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Yes, you can enter as long as you have your IR-1 visa in your passport and your daughter has her US Passport. Your marriage certificate, etc. will all be in the large white envelope you are sent with your passport with the visa inside of it. The only requirement is that your USC spouse, husband in your case, has already entered the US prior to your entry.

matthews94 Jun 5th 2020 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12862387)
Yes, you can enter as long as you have your IR-1 visa in your passport and your daughter has her US Passport. Your marriage certificate, etc. will all be in the large white envelope you are sent with your passport with the visa inside of it. The only requirement is that your USC spouse, husband in your case, has already entered the US prior to your entry.

I should probably clarify that my I-130 petition has only just been approved so I can visit the USA with the ESTA. As I explained, my daughter’s US citizenship has not been established yet due to the embassy’s closure so she only has her UK passport. I would need to apply for an ESTA for her as well if we left. We only want to stay a couple of months.

petitefrancaise Jun 5th 2020 2:47 pm

If you only want to stay a couple of months in any case, I would wait. Your baby's immune system is not yet fully developed and there is still coronavirus circulating. If they were older,perhaps, but not a baby.

matthews94 Jun 5th 2020 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12862397)
If you only want to stay a couple of months in any case, I would wait. Your baby's immune system is not yet fully developed and there is still coronavirus circulating. If they were older,perhaps, but not a baby.

I really appreciate your view but I’d feel safer living on our rural family property in the US then in our city right now. There are also other circumstances why I want to go over, I’m just asking to see if I can reasonably enter without my husband being with us. Thank you though.

bex20 Jun 5th 2020 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by TexanScot (Post 12862378)
I'm not sure what your employer does, but do you have any way of construing your employment in the US as a bona fide emergency or being in the national interest?

I'm in IT and really don't think I can justify that, but thanks for the info.

lizzyq Jun 6th 2020 3:38 pm

Most recent tweet from US Embassy Consular

Relevant for non-students too.

Rete Jun 6th 2020 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by matthews94 (Post 12862389)
I should probably clarify that my I-130 petition has only just been approved so I can visit the USA with the ESTA. As I explained, my daughter’s US citizenship has not been established yet due to the embassy’s closure so she only has her UK passport. I would need to apply for an ESTA for her as well if we left. We only want to stay a couple of months.

You cannot apply for an ESTA for a US Citizen. Coming to visit instead of emigrating is not a good idea. Bide your time and do it when you can entry the US with your approved visa.

bc2015 Jun 10th 2020 2:21 am

Seems like Trump is going to issue another EO which will ban entry for those with L-1, HB-1 and J-1 visas.

petitefrancaise Jun 10th 2020 2:41 am

Originally Posted by bc2015 (Post 12864428)
Seems like Trump is going to issue another EO which will ban entry for those with L-1, HB-1 and J-1 visas.

where are you getting this from?
In the last executive order he said that there would be reviews but as far as I know there has been no definitive announcement, a little bit about H1b being limited to higher salary levels but form what I read, that wouldn't make much difference. I can't see him banning these visas tbh - they're not lower salary positiions and not in sufficient numbers to make a difference to the unemployment situation.

bc2015 Jun 10th 2020 2:53 am

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12864436)
where are you getting this from?
In the last executive order he said that there would be reviews but as far as I know there has been no definitive announcement, a little bit about H1b being limited to higher salary levels but form what I read, that wouldn't make much difference. I can't see him banning these visas tbh - they're not lower salary positiions and not in sufficient numbers to make a difference to the unemployment situation.

It's been reported on CNN and various immigration lawyers say they have been put on notice that this is coming

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/09/polit...rus/index.html

I agree it doesn't make sense but it's Stephen Miller dictating this policy and he would be totally fine with no legal immigration.

petitefrancaise Jun 10th 2020 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by bc2015 (Post 12864439)
It's been reported on CNN and various immigration lawyers say they have been put on notice that this is coming

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/09/polit...rus/index.html

https://twitter.com/gsiskind/status/1270064149763108864

I agree it doesn't make sense but it's Stephen Miller dictating this policy and he would be totally fine with no legal immigration.

What this lawyer is writing doesn't make sense. If you are currently outside the USA and in EU/UK etc then you CANNOT currently re-enter the US quickly. I'm calling BS on this guy.

postbox134 Jun 10th 2020 1:43 pm

Why affect people who are currently in the US? I really don't appreicate being trapped in the US for fear of not being able to come back.

Surely no new visas are being issued right now achieves the protect jobs for US citizens objective? Unless they want even more people to lose their jobs.

lriii Jun 10th 2020 1:47 pm

So can we travel to the US on IR1 right now??

TexanScot Jun 10th 2020 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by postbox134 (Post 12864601)
Surely no new visas are being issued right now achieves the protect jobs for US citizens objective? Unless they want even more people to lose their jobs.

It doesn't matter if well paid, imported coastal elite foreign tech workers lose their jobs, at least not as far as those whom this policy is aimed at pleasing are concerned.

It's well known that visa nationals aren't competing in the same labor pool and for the same jobs as those who are unemployed thanks to COVID-19, but this is an election year...

matthews94 Jun 10th 2020 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12862857)
You cannot apply for an ESTA for a US Citizen. Coming to visit instead of emigrating is not a good idea. Bide your time and do it when you can entry the US with your approved visa.

My daughter’s American citizenship hasn’t been established yet so she’s only a British citizen right now, thus she’s eligible for an ESTA. I’m thankful for your advice but I wasn’t looking for an opinion on if I should travel, just whether it was possible. I have good reason to come for personal circumstances, it’s not a decision I’m considering lightly .

tht Jun 10th 2020 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by matthews94 (Post 12864889)
My daughter’s American citizenship hasn’t been established yet so she’s only a British citizen right now, thus she’s eligible for an ESTA. I’m thankful for your advice but I wasn’t looking for an opinion on if I should travel, just whether it was possible. I have good reason to come for personal circumstances, it’s not a decision I’m considering lightly .

what do you mean by established, in most cases she will either already be a US Citizen if she is eligible by birth or won’t be eligible... the fact you have not informed the US of her birth does not mean she is not a USC. There may be some corner cases where this does not apply but that’s less likely.

matthews94 Jun 11th 2020 6:30 am

Originally Posted by tht (Post 12864893)
what do you mean by established, in most cases she will either already be a US Citizen if she is eligible by birth or won’t be eligible... the fact you have not informed the US of her birth does not mean she is not a USC. There may be some corner cases where this does not apply but that’s less likely.

Thank you for your reply, I’ve looked up the laws granting automatic citizenship at birth and I falsely believed my daughter wasn’t included. Slightly complicates getting back but we have a legitimate reason to travel so I’ll be in touch with the embassy today. Again, I appreciate your help.

christmasoompa Jun 11th 2020 6:52 am

Originally Posted by matthews94 (Post 12865025)
Thank you for your reply, I’ve looked up the laws granting automatic citizenship at birth and I falsely believed my daughter wasn’t included. Slightly complicates getting back but we have a legitimate reason to travel so I’ll be in touch with the embassy today. Again, I appreciate your help.

No point in contacting the Embassy tbh, if your daughter was born a USC then you simply have to apply for her US passport.

Good luck.

tht Jun 11th 2020 10:49 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12865034)
No point in contacting the Embassy tbh, if your daughter was born a USC then you simply have to apply for her US passport.

Good luck.

Why is there no point? The US Embassy is primarily there to help USC abroad. My AOS happened when I was on a business trip and and my GC was sent to my apt in NYC. I emailed with the London embassy about what I should use to come back home. They (CBP) responded the same day, they debated issuing a travel letter but ultimately advised to use my L1a, which I did without issue. Since the OP’s daughter is a USC why would he not contact them, worst they can tell the OP is to apply for a passport and may be able to expedite it.

OP please report back here to let others know what happens incase they are in a similar situation.

matthews94 Jun 11th 2020 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12865034)

Good luck.

Originally Posted by tht (Post 12865128)
Why is there no point? The US Embassy is primarily there to help USC abroad. My AOS happened when I was on a business trip and and my GC was sent to my apt in NYC. I emailed with the London embassy about what I should use to come back home. They (CBP) responded the same day, they debated issuing a travel letter but ultimately advised to use my L1a, which I did without issue. Since the OP’s daughter is a USC why would he not contact them, worst they can tell the OP is to apply for a passport and may be able to expedite it.

OP please report back here to let others know what happens incase they are in a similar situation.

Exactly, US Citizenship services are currently suspended so there’s no possibility of simply getting a passport right now. They will take emergency appointments though so I’ll see what they can do for us. I’ll do my best to update you, thank you.

petitefrancaise Jun 11th 2020 12:11 pm

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...#39;s%20birth.

For birth on or after November 14, 1986, the U.S. citizen parent must have been physically present in the United States or one of its outlying possessions for five years prior to the person’s birth, at least two of which were after the age of 14.
if your husband fulfils this requirement then your daughter is already a USC - doesn't sound complicated to me. You need to apply for a passport for her. However, they are currently only handing out emergency passports at this time https://uk.usembassy.gov/information...d-19-outbreak/

Don't forget to check that you have medical insurance for when you arrive and what the coverage is if you're going to get travel insurance.

destone Jun 13th 2020 11:45 pm

My wife and I are in the US (L1 + L2 visas – we are both British).

My wife (L2 visa) urgently needs to travel to the UK for family reasons. She would be there for two weeks (compliant with UK quarantine rules).

She would then travel from the UK to Mexico City (via Amsterdam), and spend two weeks there in quarantine in a hotel.

Can she then board a flight from Mexico City back to the US on L2 visa? At that point in time she wouldn't have been present in Europe in the preceding 14 days (her Mexican visa stamp would serve as proof).

petitefrancaise Jun 13th 2020 11:56 pm

In other threads on the forum, what you propose has been suggested as a possibility to other posters.

However, a few days ago another poster mentioned further restrictions were being proposed concerning L1/H1b/J1 visa holders. At the time I wasn't convinced but there is enough noise now and enough people recommending that companies get all their L1 etc employees back into the USA asap that I think there might just be something coming next week.
https://www.immigration.net/2020/06/...on-immigrants/