Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions

Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions

Old Jan 12th 2021, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions

my friend and her family on 01 visas were in UK over xmas. They had a few issues getting back but her husbands work backed up their request for NI waiver by writing a letter stating his duties, which have nothing to do with Covid just that he does manage a lot of USCs
Old Jan 13th 2021, 2:59 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions

Will add to pinned thread in immi forum as well
Negative covid test will be required to enter the USA from January 26th. No surprises there except that it took them so long.
https://www.reuters.com/article/heal...-idINKBN29I095
Old Jan 13th 2021, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Will add to pinned thread in immi forum as well
Negative covid test will be required to enter the USA from January 26th. No surprises there except that it took them so long.
https://www.reuters.com/article/heal...-idINKBN29I095
The anticipated next step on this front may be that the new administration will revoke the blanket travel-ban as it pertains to Brazil, Schengen/EU, UK.
Old Jan 13th 2021, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

jammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I would seek advice from your Company Lawyer as they are the ones who will be most familiar with your situation.

I know someone on a L1 but with a US Spouse who recently travelled back now he had to show his marriage Certificate on check in and also arrival, had a quick trip to Secondary. I would expect the same with a NIW.
I came back in on L1 last week with my USC child and had to show their birth certificate and had a 45 min wait in secondary while they checked something.
Old Jan 13th 2021, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

I traveled on L-1A with a NIW issued by the US Embassy in London. It took 30 mins to check in at the First Wing at Heathrow. There was a DHS employee who got called over by BA staff to check if my NIW was indeed valid. He had a portable device in his hand and took a picture of my passport. Then he asked a series of questions as to why I was eligible for the NIW. I explained that I work in a critical infrastructure, I am an executive, named my employer and the nature of my role. He then told the BA staff that I am good to go.

Last edited by destone; Jan 13th 2021 at 6:10 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2021, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

Wh431 is an unknown quantity at this point

I travelled from LHR to Chicago (on a Green card) and back last week and there were no issues whatsoever.

The only new requirement is to have a negative covid test in the UK, which is to be done within 72 hrs before the departure. It was 50£ same day test results at Luton airport.

The plane was only 40% occupied and there were no questions asked whatsoever at Chicago Ohare airport. All in all an easy and straightforward trip.
Old Jan 15th 2021, 11:43 am
Just Joined

TamW20 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by destone
I traveled on L-1A with a NIW issued by the US Embassy in London. It took 30 mins to check in at the First Wing at Heathrow. There was a DHS employee who got called over by BA staff to check if my NIW was indeed valid. He had a portable device in his hand and took a picture of my passport. Then he asked a series of questions as to why I was eligible for the NIW. I explained that I work in a critical infrastructure, I am an executive, named my employer and the nature of my role. He then told the BA staff that I am good to go.
quick question. When you applied for your embassy appointment (under the NIW) how far off was the appointment date you were given? My husband will be doing this but we're unsure when to apply for the interview as we're just waiting for our house sale to complete. Just wondered if I could get a general idea of how near or far the date might be. Thanks.
Old Jan 15th 2021, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TamW20
quick question. When you applied for your embassy appointment (under the NIW) how far off was the appointment date you were given? My husband will be doing this but we're unsure when to apply for the interview as we're just waiting for our house sale to complete. Just wondered if I could get a general idea of how near or far the date might be. Thanks.
I requested on 8 Dec and it got approved 18 Dec, so for me it was 9 business days. The waiver is valid for one-time travel only, and mine was valid until 16 Jan. In the end, I flew on 10 Jan. Once I landed there were no questions from CBP, they just wanted to see the negative Covid-19 test result. My L-1A was issued in 2019 (and still valid) so I didn’t need an Embassy appointment.

Last edited by destone; Jan 15th 2021 at 11:37 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2021, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

TamW20 is an unknown quantity at this point

I requested on 8 Dec and it got approved 18 Dec, so for me it was 9 business days. The waiver is valid for one-time travel only, and mine was valid until 16 Jan. In the end, I flew on 10 Jan. Once I landed there were no questions from CBP, they just wanted to see the negative Covid-19 test result. My L-1A was issued in 2019 (and still valid) so I didn’t need an Embassy appointment.
Thanks for that! So did the embassy give you an appointment date for interview or did you get to choose once the national exemption was granted? I'm guessing they give you the date but just wanted to check. Thanks for your help! Are you enjoying yourself over there?
Old Jan 19th 2021, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TamW20
Thanks for that! So did the embassy give you an appointment date for interview or did you get to choose once the national exemption was granted? I'm guessing they give you the date but just wanted to check. Thanks for your help! Are you enjoying yourself over there?
As my visa was (is) still valid, I didn't need an in-person appointment. I merely emailed the Embassy regarding my travel plans (including dates), and they issued the waiver accordingly (valid for 2 weeks after my requested travel dates).

The current administration announced today that they are revoking the travel ban, however, the new administration vowed to restore it (?). For one, I hope it won't be in its current form, as it's questionable why F visa-holders can travel back-and-forth but not L1 visa-holders.
Old Jan 19th 2021, 2:25 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

As my visa was (is) still valid, I didn't need an in-person appointment. I merely emailed the Embassy regarding my travel plans (including dates), and they issued the waiver accordingly (valid for 2 weeks after my requested travel dates).

The current administration announced today that they are revoking the travel ban, however, the new administration vowed to restore it (?). For one, I hope it won't be in its current form, as it's questionable why F visa-holders can travel back-and-forth but not L1 visa-holders.
Agreed it does not seem like anyone non essential should be allowed to travel here without a combination of testing and adequate/supervised isolation (at the travelers own cost to a void a burden on US tax payers) on arrival to ensure someone negative is not a carrier who has not developed enough viral load to test positive. The NZ model despite the odd issue seems to have worked well and would be a good model. Arbitrary discrimination based on visa type seems un-equitable.
Old Jan 19th 2021, 3:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tht
Agreed it does not seem like anyone non essential should be allowed to travel here without a combination of testing and adequate/supervised isolation (at the travelers own cost to a void a burden on US tax payers) on arrival to ensure someone negative is not a carrier who has not developed enough viral load to test positive. The NZ model despite the odd issue seems to have worked well and would be a good model. Arbitrary discrimination based on visa type seems un-equitable.
How could that be done in a US context, NZ has obvious geographic advantages.
Old Jan 19th 2021, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

Considering that both the northern and southern land borders are closed, everyone will be arriving by air or sea. In that case, it wouldn't be impossible to enforce testing at boarding and is what they are intending to do on the 26th anyway for US Citizens and LPRs.
Old Jan 19th 2021, 3:44 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

You scale it out. For every POE you identify and establish sites. So if NZ has maybe 3 international airport... you x that by 20 or so for the US, or designate say 10 international airports and maybe a handful of land or sea POE’s and deploy a similar set-up. You would likely see travel reduced so the task would become easier anyway. If NZ can do it and the US can’t with all our resources there is something very wrong...my understanding was the laws needed are already there and were used for things like Ebola so it should be pretty straightforward.
Old Jan 19th 2021, 3:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

US has never been able to control its Borders, and as far as I am aware the incoming Administration is not going to want to move in that direction.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.