Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions

Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions

Old Jul 31st 2020, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

Cheeksusa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions

So I’m also living and working in the USA on an E2 , got stuck in the UK at the beginning of March , I’m navigating my way back now, basically after you been in the UK , you would need to leave the UK and go to somewhere like Turkey , Croatia , Dubai or a Caribbean island for 14 days , whereby after the 14 days you would then be able to return to the USA having not been in an excluded country for a 14 day period.
Old Jul 31st 2020, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

circusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions

Originally Posted by Cheeksusa
So I’m also living and working in the USA on an E2 , got stuck in the UK at the beginning of March , I’m navigating my way back now, basically after you been in the UK , you would need to leave the UK and go to somewhere like Turkey , Croatia , Dubai or a Caribbean island for 14 days , whereby after the 14 days you would then be able to return to the USA having not been in an excluded country for a 14 day period.

And cross your fingers there is no further proclamation to include the country your are spending 14 days layover in

Last edited by circusplaza; Jul 31st 2020 at 7:13 pm.
Old Aug 1st 2020, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

wisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cheeksusa
I have read of other E2 visa holders in a similar situation and they aplied to the embassy for a waiver. Took 3 days for a response and was granted. Take a look at the embassy website.
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

sk_lfc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wisygreen
I have read of other E2 visa holders in a similar situation and they aplied to the embassy for a waiver. Took 3 days for a response and was granted. Take a look at the embassy website.
is that discussion somewhere on the forum I could read about? I couldn’t see anything but something I would consider doing, was the waiver to allow travel between home country and USA?
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

wisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sk_lfc
is that discussion somewhere on the forum I could read about? I couldn’t see anything but something I would consider doing, was the waiver to allow travel between home country and USA?
There are Facebook groups for E2 holders. It is a NIE you need. Email [email protected] and they send a questionnaire to fill out apparently.
Old Aug 5th 2020, 10:38 am
Just Joined

jack5783 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Wondering if someone can help me with their understanding as I am a bit confused about the rules for travelling to the USA and also restrictions on coming back into the UK, including quarantine. I am a USA citizen (dual citizen also with an EU passport) and UK resident. My parent in the USA is very sick and I want to go and visit as soon as possible. Flight London-->Boston, return. The difficulty is both my parents who are there are high risk individuals so I think I'd need to be COVID tested once I got there to ensure their safety. Is there some facility/contact to do this?
From what I can see I am able to travel as I am a US citizen and I don't require any special Visa for this, and there are no presidential restrictions on me. Is there any quarantine period in the USA once I arrive? To come back to the UK, I assume there is a 14 day quarantine period. Are these assumptions correct? Anything else to consider or look into?
Thanks in adavnce
Old Aug 5th 2020, 11:35 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

The difficulty is both my parents who are there are high risk individuals so I think I'd need to be COVID tested once I got there to ensure their safety. Is there some facility/contact to do this?
This is seriously insufficient for you to even think about. If you contract it on the plane there is no way you would test positive for at least a week, this is why you need to quarantine yourself for 10 days before seeing your parents.

That's without even mentioning that a COVID test can take a week to come back when done at somewhere like a county health department. An ER is not going to test you without signs and symptoms, they wont give it to you 'just because' - they have to protect their resources.
Old Aug 5th 2020, 12:14 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jack5783
Hi,
Wondering if someone can help me with their understanding as I am a bit confused about the rules for travelling to the USA and also restrictions on coming back into the UK, including quarantine. I am a USA citizen (dual citizen also with an EU passport) and UK resident. My parent in the USA is very sick and I want to go and visit as soon as possible. Flight London-->Boston, return. The difficulty is both my parents who are there are high risk individuals so I think I'd need to be COVID tested once I got there to ensure their safety. Is there some facility/contact to do this?
From what I can see I am able to travel as I am a US citizen and I don't require any special Visa for this, and there are no presidential restrictions on me. Is there any quarantine period in the USA once I arrive? To come back to the UK, I assume there is a 14 day quarantine period. Are these assumptions correct? Anything else to consider or look into?
Thanks in adavnce
What State is your eventual destination? MA? In terms of US-wide quarantine, it’s just a recommendation that you isolate for 14 days, arriving from Britain.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...countries.html

I flew Heathrow to Boston a month ago, and was exposed on the flight to someone who tested positive to Covid. But the problem was, it was not till four days after my arrival that the contact tracer contacted me, informed me I’d been exposed, and told me I must strictly quarantine for 14 days (voluntarily, otherwise they would get a court order.) Up till that point, obviously I was just voluntarily isolating.

As to testing, that is entirely dependent on state and locality. In NY, where I am, anyone can get a test at any time, free of charge. I believe tests are freely available in MA too. But as Civilservant mentioned, waiting for a result can be anything up to 10+ days...
Old Aug 5th 2020, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

The free tests here in New Jersey required proof of local address/work (i.e. a Driving License) so not everywhere will test anyone for free.
Old Aug 5th 2020, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
What State is your eventual destination? MA? In terms of US-wide quarantine, it’s just a recommendation that you isolate for 14 days, arriving from Britain.
New rules for MA came into effect this week https://www.mass.gov/info-details/covid-19-travel-order
Old Sep 6th 2020, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

We're "stuck" in California with wife and our 1 year old baby (we are all British). L1A-- I-140 and I-485 in progress with USCIS for several months now.

We're desperate to travel back to the UK to see our families but it sounds like we would be unable to come back unless flying back via Mexico or similar (and quarantining there for 2 weeks first prior to US travel).

I've seen news reports that students and business travelers (not L1s) are excepted from the travel ban.

Am I missing a trick here?
Old Sep 6th 2020, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destone
We're "stuck" in California with wife and our 1 year old baby (we are all British). L1A-- I-140 and I-485 in progress with USCIS for several months now.

We're desperate to travel back to the UK to see our families but it sounds like we would be unable to come back unless flying back via Mexico or similar (and quarantining there for 2 weeks).

I've seen news reports that students and business travelers (not L1s) are excepted from the travel ban.

Same here (L-1B) , stuck for the moment in the US due to US entry restrictions. I'm happy to self isolate on both ends as I can work from home. Unfortunately, no end in sight to the relevant presidential proclamations to allow travel.

Surprised the airline lobby hads't made any progress on lifting it...
​​​​
Old Sep 6th 2020, 10:46 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destone

We're desperate to travel back to the UK to see our families but it sounds like we would be unable to come back unless flying back via Mexico or similar (and quarantining there for 2 weeks first prior to US travel).

No you are not missing a trick. Pretty much whatever your status two periods of 2 week quarantine would be necessary, the first after entering the UK, unless you want to put your UK family at risk, and the second after leaving the UK - either within the USA if you are not affected by the presidential proclamation, or in an unrestricted country if you are. Certainly most students have to self isolate before being allowed to start classes on campus, and that applies between states as well as coming in from a foreign country.

I am an LPR and would also love to go back to the UK to see my mum, my daughter and my grandkids, but even though I am able to re-enter the USA "easily" I don't want to risk infecting people at either end of my journey. It really is just a matter of suck it up and be patient
Old Sep 8th 2020, 5:57 am
Just Joined

bylee1216 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all

I wanted to get some clarification/insight on the feasibility of my girlfriend (UK Citizen) coming to visit me (US Citizen) in October.

My girlfriend is currently in Dubai on business and will be there for 2-3 weeks. She has expressed interest in coming to California (via SFO) to celebrate her birthday here with me in October. So we were wondering since she hasn't been in the UK for the past 14 days and people traveling from Dubai aren't barred from entering the US, is she able to enter without any hassle? (She'd obviously have proof she was there for 2-3 weeks i.e hotel folio, boarding passes) Other issue is that there is no direct flight from Dubai to SFO so she has to either connect at LHR or ICN in Korea. If she were to have a connecting flight in LHR or ICN, (more worrisome is LHR) will she be denied entry since she for example had a connecting flight in LHR?

The other option at hand is if I were to visit her in the UK. Is it easier for US citizens to travel to the UK? (I am aware of the 14 day self quarantine)

Thanks
Old Sep 8th 2020, 11:10 am
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bylee1216
Hello all

I wanted to get some clarification/insight on the feasibility of my girlfriend (UK Citizen) coming to visit me (US Citizen) in October.

My girlfriend is currently in Dubai on business and will be there for 2-3 weeks. She has expressed interest in coming to California (via SFO) to celebrate her birthday here with me in October. So we were wondering since she hasn't been in the UK for the past 14 days and people traveling from Dubai aren't barred from entering the US, is she able to enter without any hassle? (She'd obviously have proof she was there for 2-3 weeks i.e hotel folio, boarding passes) Other issue is that there is no direct flight from Dubai to SFO so she has to either connect at LHR or ICN in Korea. If she were to have a connecting flight in LHR or ICN, (more worrisome is LHR) will she be denied entry since she for example had a connecting flight in LHR?

The other option at hand is if I were to visit her in the UK. Is it easier for US citizens to travel to the UK? (I am aware of the 14 day self quarantine)

Thanks
Does she have a current ESTA? And if not when she applies for one can you post the result on here if you would be so gracious. As some of the wording on the travel ban proclamation against UK/Rep Ireland is suggestive in certain respects that ESTA from UK/Ireland may not even be being approved at the moment. At least that is my reading of the wording of certain statements.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.