Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions

Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions

Old Jul 17th 2020, 8:50 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stuarta.../#55792d2f287f
Old Jul 24th 2020, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

circusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions

Hi folks!
Did anyone from the community fly back to the US since President Trump's proclamation with a H or L visa already stamped?
I read and read and I get zero clarity whether I am able to fly back from UK to US with my visa, L1A...

Stay safe!!
Cheers!
Old Jul 24th 2020, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

Tino is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by circusplaza
Hi folks!
Did anyone from the community fly back to the US since President Trump's proclamation with a H or L visa already stamped?
I read and read and I get zero clarity whether I am able to fly back from UK to US with my visa, L1A...

Stay safe!!
Cheers!
On the assumption you don't quality for exception (see WH link below) then no, you cannot fly directly from UK or any Schengen Area country (including transit), or indeed Ireland, China, Brazil, Iran... See https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...countries.html.

Don't be confused between Covid related restrictions (Proclamation 9984) and the visa issuance suspension through the rest of the year (Proclamation 10052). If you already have L visa stamped then you can enter the US provided you have not been in the aforementioned countries within the past 14 days. I have colleagues and friends that have returned either from Croatia (via Turkey) or Serbia (direct).

It's pretty clear cut here:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/president...l-coronavirus/

Section 1. Suspension and Limitation on Entry. The entry into the United States, as immigrants or nonimmigrants, of all aliens who were physically present within the Schengen Area during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States is hereby suspended and limited subject to section 2 of this proclamation.
Old Jul 24th 2020, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

circusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tino
On the assumption you don't quality for exception (see WH link below) then no, you cannot fly directly from UK or any Schengen Area country (including transit), or indeed Ireland, China, Brazil, Iran... See https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...countries.html.

Don't be confused between Covid related restrictions (Proclamation 9984) and the visa issuance suspension through the rest of the year (Proclamation 10052). If you already have L visa stamped then you can enter the US provided you have not been in the aforementioned countries within the past 14 days. I have colleagues and friends that have returned either from Croatia (via Turkey) or Serbia (direct).

It's pretty clear cut here:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/president...l-coronavirus/

Section 1. Suspension and Limitation on Entry. The entry into the United States, as immigrants or nonimmigrants, of all aliens who were physically present within the Schengen Area during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States is hereby suspended and limited subject to section 2 of this proclamation.
Thanks Tino - Somehow I mixed both of the proclamations... hopefully the Schengen one will be gone shortly.

cheers!
Old Jul 24th 2020, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

Tino is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by circusplaza
Thanks Tino - Somehow I mixed both of the proclamations... hopefully the Schengen one will be gone shortly.

cheers!
How much of it is guesswork I don't know, but the immigration counsel for my employer estimated some time in September for easing of restrictions IF US embassies started re-opening and issuing visas by August. I fear now though there may be [even more] political hurdles while US remains on EU's barred list.
Old Jul 24th 2020, 11:26 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Don't count on immigration restrictions being lifted before the November election. Immigration is always an election year hot potato issue in the US, and this President is hip deep in it and hip deep in trouble.
Old Jul 24th 2020, 12:24 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tino
How much of it is guesswork I don't know, but the immigration counsel for my employer estimated some time in September for easing of restrictions IF US embassies started re-opening and issuing visas by August. I fear now though there may be [even more] political hurdles while US remains on EU's barred list.
Maybe, but I can’t see foreign countries (such as EU) allowing US people in anytime soon. After all, the infection is completely out of control in the US. Some regions are worse than others, but unfortunately, there’s no effective control over travel within the US.
Old Jul 25th 2020, 2:21 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

more exceptions have been added to the list - most notably the families of H1 visa holders already here in the USA.
https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-recovery.html

and in the preceding news item - sounds like some movement may take place. Although not really affecting general population yet :
Granting national interest exceptions for this travel to the United States from the Schengen area, UK, and Ireland, will assist with the economic recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic and bolster key components of our transatlantic relationship.We appreciate the transparency and concerted efforts of our European partners and allies to combat this pandemic and welcome the EU’s reciprocal action to allow key categories of essential travel to continue.
Old Jul 25th 2020, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
more exceptions have been added to the list - most notably the families of H1 visa holders already here in the USA.
https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-recovery.html

and in the preceding news item - sounds like some movement may take place. Although not really affecting general population yet :

Hopefully they open up soon; currently there is way more risk for people here to fly back to UK than the other way around.
Old Jul 25th 2020, 4:18 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

I have family traveling out from the UK in a month or two. They are essential workers, are required to be in the US at this time and have Visas issued just a few days ago. They qualify as exempt from the travel ban and are being asked to get here as soon as they can, so no discussion required as to whether or not they should or should not be traveling at this time. Can't comment on their personal details any more than that. My question relates to the quarantine requirements when they get here. I could not find a definitive answer to these questions.

1. Is the 14 day quarantine mandatory, or just advice from the CDC? Is it absolute meaning that they cannot go out anywhere for any reason during that time? (Asking not because they want to put anyone at risk, but because they at least need to get basic supplies when they get here. I live a long way away from where they will be, and have my own commitments. so it is not easy for me to help then out).
2. Are quarantine requirements state specific, or country wide?
3. Other than temperature testing and answering questions regarding COVID symptoms on arrival, are there any additional requirements to fill in paperwork above and beyond what is normal pre-Covid)?

I want to stress that they are very, very responsible people and are here to help. The goal is to find out if they can at least go out once or twice in the first 14 days to get essential supplies. Although I am sure we can find a way to get things delivered, it would be helpful for them to be able to go out and get some basic supplies independently.
Old Jul 25th 2020, 4:38 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I flew in, Heathrow to Boston, a month ago. There’s a simple health related form to fill in, given out on the plane. It’s basically just the travelers contact information. Then, there’s a health department screening to go through after immigration but before customs. In Boston, it was a trestle table set up in a passageway. Passenger’s temperature is taken and the usual symptoms questions asked. They took your health questionnaire from you. AFAIK, that was the only extra entry requirement travelers were subject to.

i believe the quarantine is fully state managed, as to whether it’s a federal requirement I’m not sure. Boston must have forwarded my details to New York. I was contacted four days after arrival by the NYS health dept and put under very strict quarantine (court order etc.) but may just have been because, in my case, they said I’d been exposed to someone who tested positive for COVID 19.
Old Jul 30th 2020, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

sk_lfc is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I am on working e-2 visa living is USA and been advised by work immigration attorney I could go back to uk (then quarantine) but not back to USA as on trump list on barred countries.

what is the general feeling around when this might change? I have a desperately homesick wife and wondered if anyone has any advice? I know not right group potentially but also any tips on homesickness, thanks guys!
Old Jul 30th 2020, 10:35 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Any answer would be pure speculation.
Old Jul 30th 2020, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by civilservant
Any answer would be pure speculation.
couldn’t agree more
Old Jul 31st 2020, 12:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sk_lfc
Hi

I am on working e-2 visa living is USA and been advised by work immigration attorney I could go back to uk (then quarantine) but not back to USA as on trump list on barred countries.

what is the general feeling around when this might change? I have a desperately homesick wife and wondered if anyone has any advice? I know not right group potentially but also any tips on homesickness, thanks guys!
Welcome to BE.

if you wish to discuss homesickness (many of us have/do suffer from it), please open a new thread. Thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.