Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions

Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions

Old May 17th 2020, 3:58 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
excellent news Rete, it must be a huge relief.
Definitely was JG. Huge sigh of relief on our end.
Old May 17th 2020, 5:49 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions

Originally Posted by Rete
We are in Mississippi. Got the email this morning that we tested negative for the live virus. Phew! Still under court order not to leave the house until May 21. A few more days to go. If caught outside the home, there is a $5,000 fine.

Hubby still be spending his birthday tomorrow in isolation. I'll make him a chocolate birthday cake and see what's in the freezer for a special dinner.
That is good news for the two of you. Stay safe and well and I hope your freezer yields a suitable dinner
Old May 27th 2020, 7:54 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

The US Embassy in London today tweeted this link updated on 26th May 2020 https://uk.usembassy.gov/information...d-19-outbreak/

and also this
Old May 28th 2020, 7:14 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
The US Embassy in London today tweeted this link updated on 26th May 2020 https://uk.usembassy.gov/information...d-19-outbreak/

and also this
https://twitter.com/USAinUKConsular/...59472036364290
I looked at that page for US citizens and reading between the lines, it more or less says, “We aren’t working now. You’re on your own.”
Old May 28th 2020, 1:06 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

there was some good information about extension/reissuance of visas and how to go about it.
good catch from LizzyQ!
Old May 28th 2020, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

lriii is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

We finally received our IR1 visa last week, It expires on the the 10th of September.

Husband is the USC (me). My wife is the UKC

The uphill battle we have now is the travel ban and the immigration ban. Our plan is to enter the US in Dallas and get the visa stamped and receive my wife’s LPR. I have searched all through these forums and found some very helpful information. So my question is, once the travel ban is lifted and IF the immigration ban is extended will we be able to travel and be admitted to the US under IR1?
Old May 29th 2020, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lriii
Husband is the USC (me). My wife is the UKC
So my question is, once the travel ban is lifted and IF the immigration ban is extended will we be able to travel and be admitted to the US under IR1?
Are you sure it applies to them?

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...ronavirus.html

"U.S. citizens are not subject to the proclamations."

Also:

"Some exceptions include, but are not limited to: foreign diplomats traveling to the United States on A or G visas and certain family members of U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents including; spouses"
Old May 29th 2020, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

lriii is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply. I have seen this same information in the link you provided. Much appreciated, we have tried to contact the embassy but are not having much luck,

I just wish there was a simple and easy to follow chart to say which visa allow travel during both bans. So confusing.
Old Jun 5th 2020, 10:52 am
Just Joined

bex20 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just as cv-19 was starting off I was supposed to transfer from the UK to the US on an L1 visa. That stalled naturally, but I've now been told to book a visa appointment when available, from some time after mid July. My employer will be using the blanket L1 visa process. As far as I can see there's no way of booking an appointment anywhere, either in the UK or elsewhere. Being a UK citizen I presume I'd have to book the appointment in the UK even if, say, a US embassy elsewhere in Europe opens first? My wife is a dual citizen with US citizenship too which might make entry to the US easier if I could get the visa.

Has there been any indication of when the US embassy might open up for appointments again? Any other advice?

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 5th 2020, 11:34 am
Just Joined

matthews94 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wondering if anyone can clarify whether my newborn daughter and I can enter the USA from London. We're both UKCs but my husband and son (7y) are both USCs and about to travel back without us. I'm staying behind because my daughter still needs routine vaccinations. We have been unable to get my daughter's CRBA and US passport since the embassy shut down but she does have her UK passport. If I wanted to join my husband and son, would I be able to enter without them present at border control with me? What kind of documents would you recommend taking i.e. marriage certificate? This is all based on my understanding that spouses and children of US citizens are exempt from all of the travel restrictions so please correct me if I am wrong. Any advice would be much appreciated!
Old Jun 5th 2020, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bex20
Being a UK citizen I presume I'd have to book the appointment in the UK even if, say, a US embassy elsewhere in Europe opens first?
There's no hard requirement that you book the appointment in your country of citizenship, although a lot of embassies have local policies that they will only offer visa services to those who have legal residency in their country of operation due to local familiarity with documentation requirements, background checks with the authorities and so on.

My wife is a dual citizen with US citizenship too which might make entry to the US easier if I could get the visa.

It currently makes you exempt from some of the travel restrictions, but you'll still need a visa if you want to enter in L-1 status.

I'm not sure what your employer does, but do you have any way of construing your employment in the US as a bona fide emergency or being in the national interest?
Old Jun 5th 2020, 1:48 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

She's a USC spouse and her child is under 21 and parent is a USC spouse. That would exempt them from travel restrictions but would need to show proof I guess. Marriage certificate and birth certificate for baby. Phone airline and ask what documents they would need to see? Get USC husband to email the embassy to ask. ( My USC son has been getting replies to questions from his local US embassy).
I don't know anything about whether the baby would need a US passport to enter the USA. Is the baby a USC yet?
Old Jun 5th 2020, 2:12 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by matthews94
Wondering if anyone can clarify whether my newborn daughter and I can enter the USA from London. We're both UKCs but my husband and son (7y) are both USCs and about to travel back without us. I'm staying behind because my daughter still needs routine vaccinations. We have been unable to get my daughter's CRBA and US passport since the embassy shut down but she does have her UK passport. If I wanted to join my husband and son, would I be able to enter without them present at border control with me? What kind of documents would you recommend taking i.e. marriage certificate? This is all based on my understanding that spouses and children of US citizens are exempt from all of the travel restrictions so please correct me if I am wrong. Any advice would be much appreciated!
Yes, you can enter as long as you have your IR-1 visa in your passport and your daughter has her US Passport. Your marriage certificate, etc. will all be in the large white envelope you are sent with your passport with the visa inside of it. The only requirement is that your USC spouse, husband in your case, has already entered the US prior to your entry.
Old Jun 5th 2020, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

matthews94 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
Yes, you can enter as long as you have your IR-1 visa in your passport and your daughter has her US Passport. Your marriage certificate, etc. will all be in the large white envelope you are sent with your passport with the visa inside of it. The only requirement is that your USC spouse, husband in your case, has already entered the US prior to your entry.
I should probably clarify that my I-130 petition has only just been approved so I can visit the USA with the ESTA. As I explained, my daughter’s US citizenship has not been established yet due to the embassy’s closure so she only has her UK passport. I would need to apply for an ESTA for her as well if we left. We only want to stay a couple of months.
Old Jun 5th 2020, 2:47 pm
Austin. TX.

If you only want to stay a couple of months in any case, I would wait. Your baby's immune system is not yet fully developed and there is still coronavirus circulating. If they were older,perhaps, but not a baby.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.