Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions

Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions

Old May 11th 2020, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

cautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Andyrebell, I can understand your concern that you might get refused an esta right now and this would mean applying for a visa that you may not get. ...
Just to be pedantic, as folks may know, an ESTA acceptance is not a visa. It is merely an acceptance by the Custom and Border Protection's automated system that determines the eligibility of visitors to travel to the USA under the US Visa Waiver Program (VWP).
Old May 12th 2020, 11:35 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
we paid over $600. Bloody cheek especially as the lockdown is government mandated.
Quick update, might be worth another try - just got the end date of ours extended 90 days, now runs out 1 June 2021. Better than nothing.
Old May 14th 2020, 11:29 am
Just Joined

Cheeksusa is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions

Hi everyone ,

Thank you for taking the time to read this post , my situation is I’m a UK citizen holding a E2 visa , I moved to the USA last year , and was visiting family in March when I got stuck in the UK - luckily we have my wife’s house still in the UK so we have stayed there during the lockdowns. We are very lucky to have this but are desperate to get back to our home in the USA , our dog , and to not to live out of a single suitcase.

Whilst we are aware of the proclamation that precludes us form entering the USA because of the restrictions that exists regards being in the UK for 14 days prior to entry , however my question is if we visit a country that is not restricted for 14 days then make our way to the USA would this be allowed ?

Alternatively if anyone has any other advice or suggestions , I would very much welcome you assistance .

Thank you in advance for your help and please stay safe ,

Cheeks
Old May 14th 2020, 12:33 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, is the short answer.
Do you have anywhere in mind?
The problem is that most countries have entry restrictions of their own - restricting entry to their own citizens and/or having quarantine requirements. Not to mention possible difficulties getting flights.
Sorry about your dog, I would be frantic if my dog were here on her own.

Old May 14th 2020, 12:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have seen Turkey mentioned, you need somewhere with a direct flight to the US.

Talk of Mexico freeing things up.

Obviously a very fluid situation and not without risks.
Old May 14th 2020, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

Thank you , yes the dog is what has proved the most difficult, if he was with us I think we would stay put until it was easier to get back however long it takes. Luckily his with someone who is looking after him extremely well , but we miss him obviously- they are family after all.

You are right though - we can hardly get into anywhere right now - however I heard UAE (Dubai) are planning on opening next week , so we may go there for two weeks and fly onto USA from there . The other options is find someone with a boat , and sail across the Atlantic - takes 14 days then enter !!

Thanks for your help
Old May 14th 2020, 12:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The following from the CDC lists countries that are restricted, also says only USCs and PRs are allowed to enter the US.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...countries.html
Old May 14th 2020, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

Thank you - re Turkey - assuming this is not within Schengen Zone - Thanks for this
Old May 14th 2020, 1:36 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The following from the CDC lists countries that are restricted, also says only USCs and PRs are allowed to enter the US.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...countries.html
the restrictions apply to the countries in the list.

Turkey isn't on it

OP, this plan of yours isn't without risks and considerable expense.
My tuppence -worth? There is so much "opening up" going on here in the USA, not all countries are on the banned list and RUSSIA hasn't been added despite recent very high covid numbers. I was wondering if the US government had decided the diplomatic fallout with Russia over imposing a ban on them wasn't worth it if it was going to be a relatively short term thing?
I think the UK/EU ban may be lifted for visitors in the not too distant future with quarantine arrangements left in place. I was wondering if the UK are having to impose quarantine as part of a deal with the USA to get them off the restricted list.
Old May 14th 2020, 2:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
the restrictions apply to the countries in the list.

Turkey isn't on it

OP, this plan of yours isn't without risks and considerable expense.
My tuppence -worth? There is so much "opening up" going on here in the USA, not all countries are on the banned list and RUSSIA hasn't been added despite recent very high covid numbers. I was wondering if the US government had decided the diplomatic fallout with Russia over imposing a ban on them wasn't worth it if it was going to be a relatively short term thing?
I think the UK/EU ban may be lifted for visitors in the not too distant future with quarantine arrangements left in place. I was wondering if the UK are having to impose quarantine as part of a deal with the USA to get them off the restricted list.
that’s why I said ‘list of countries that are restricted’.
Old May 17th 2020, 12:53 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby and I are on court ordered quarantine for 14 days. We went for testing yesterday. We have been in contact with a former neighbor helping her out with shopping, laundry, etc. She has tested positive.

When you get the test apparently down here the state dept of health is contacted and they in turn called us, completed the questionnaire on the phone and emailed us the court order. Now we wait for the test results to come back.
Old May 17th 2020, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

cautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond repute

Which state are you in Rete?
Old May 17th 2020, 12:56 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by Rete
Hubby and I are on court ordered quarantine for 14 days. We went for testing yesterday. We have been in contact with a former neighbor helping her out with shopping, laundry, etc. She has tested positive.

When you get the test apparently down here the state dept of health is contacted and they in turn called us, completed the questionnaire on the phone and emailed us the court order. Now we wait for the test results to come back.
fingers crossed Rete. Must be stressful waiting - have they given you an idea of how long before you get the results?
Old May 17th 2020, 1:51 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

We are in Mississippi. Got the email this morning that we tested negative for the live virus. Phew! Still under court order not to leave the house until May 21. A few more days to go. If caught outside the home, there is a $5,000 fine.

Hubby still be spending his birthday tomorrow in isolation. I'll make him a chocolate birthday cake and see what's in the freezer for a special dinner.
Old May 17th 2020, 3:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Rete
We are in Mississippi. Got the email this morning that we tested negative for the live virus. Phew! Still under court order not to leave the house until May 21. A few more days to go. If caught outside the home, there is a $5,000 fine.

Hubby still be spending his birthday tomorrow in isolation. I'll make him a chocolate birthday cake and see what's in the freezer for a special dinner.
excellent news Rete, it must be a huge relief.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.