Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions

Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions

Old May 9th 2020, 12:03 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions

A word of warning to anyone booking future travel, read the fine print before you purchase travel insurance. Some (many?) insurers who previously issued policies covering travel cancellation/delay/disruption and medical expenses due to a pandemic will no longer provide this cover.
Old May 9th 2020, 12:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions

From the official website

In accordance with Proclamation—Suspension of Entry as Immigrants and Nonimmigrants of Certain Additional Persons Who Pose a Risk of Transmitting Coronavirus effective at 11:59 p.m. eastern daylight time on March 16, 2020, the entry into the United States is suspended for most individuals, other than United States citizens and lawful permanent residents, who have been physically present within the United Kingdom and Ireland within 14 days of travel to the United States. In addition, Proclamation 9993 applicable to the Schengen Area, Proclamation 9992 for travel from Iran, and Proclamation 9984 for travel from the People’s Republic of China all remain in effect. Any traveler with a valid ESTA who attempts to travel the United States in violation of the Proclamations for the Schengen Area, the United Kingdom, and Ireland will have their ESTA canceled. ESTA will not refund applications that are canceled due to this Proclamation. Travelers who are subject to the Proclamations should cancel or postpone any travel until no longer subject to the Proclamations, or the Proclamations are rescinded.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/faq?lang=en

You seem to be asking a lot of What If questions. Just because a Cruise Line is showing potential sailings for late 2021
doesn't mean they will or won't happen. Usually an ESTA application is done within minutes of applying so what is relevant today might not be next month or in 3 months. Why not take a deep breath, relax and wait to see what happens. Making an online application from the UK shouldn't result in application being declined it is merely an application approved for travel to the USA. Many have applied for ESTA and never travelled on it.
Old May 9th 2020, 12:32 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Andyrebell, I can understand your concern that you might get refused an esta right now and this would mean applying for a visa that you may not get. However, Lancastrian's advice is good - sit tight and wait. If all is good for the cruise in 2021, then I'm assuming the entry restrictions to the USA will also have been lifted. I also wouldn't pay a deposit for a cruise in 2021 right now, no matter how good the discount - no-one knows if there will be a widely available vaccine for next year yet and you are just setting yourself up for a year of worrying about whether your cruise will go ahead or not.
Take a tour around scotland and the islands in June. It's absolutely stunningly beautiful. :-)
Old May 9th 2020, 12:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

There are exceptions to the ban, not sure the ESTA application would know if you qualify, I guess not many people are booking as nobody knows what the future holds.
Old May 9th 2020, 1:24 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Andyrebell, I can understand your concern that you might get refused an esta right now and this would mean applying for a visa that you may not get. However, Lancastrian's advice is good - sit tight and wait. If all is good for the cruise in 2021, then I'm assuming the entry restrictions to the USA will also have been lifted. I also wouldn't pay a deposit for a cruise in 2021 right now, no matter how good the discount - no-one knows if there will be a widely available vaccine for next year yet and you are just setting yourself up for a year of worrying about whether your cruise will go ahead or not.
Take a tour around scotland and the islands in June. It's absolutely stunningly beautiful. :-)

We will sit back and wait thanks for the help I think the cruise credit is good till into 2022 to be fair.
Old May 9th 2020, 3:09 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrebell
We will sit back and wait thanks for the help I think the cruise credit is good till into 2022 to be fair.
Good choice
Old May 9th 2020, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
You might even get to enjoy Skye without the throngs of tourists
Old May 9th 2020, 6:02 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TexanScot
You might even get to enjoy Skye without the throngs of tourists
You would never get there would you? Aren't the caledonian mcbrayne ferries not running at the moment? Isn't that the company name
Old May 9th 2020, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

vespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
A word of warning to anyone booking future travel, read the fine print before you purchase travel insurance. Some (many?) insurers who previously issued policies covering travel cancellation/delay/disruption and medical expenses due to a pandemic will no longer provide this cover.
I purchased one before the start of the epidemic for an event that was to take place after the start of the epidemic and they've said that covid-19 is a "known event", an "epidemic" and is not covered. I'll never purchase such insurance again.
Old May 9th 2020, 7:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat096 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by vespucci
I purchased one before the start of the epidemic for an event that was to take place after the start of the epidemic and they've said that covid-19 is a "known event", an "epidemic" and is not covered. I'll never purchase such insurance again.

It's a fairly useless product in terms of getting money back. Mine also was bought back in Oct last year when the holiday was booked.

I've managed to get my airbnbs canceled full refunds with no issues, a 95% refund for car parking charges, BA have offered me a voucher valid for two years, i only paid deposit on flights was waiting until last minute to pay full balance.

Works out far cheaper than triggering the excess on insurance.

Insurance is only useful for medical coverage IMO and even that is not always coat effective. I had some minor treatment in the USA on a holiday some years back and a doctor basically told me not to worry they would just bill the NHS...
Old May 9th 2020, 8:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

We bought annual travel insurance with TD early March. Called them at the end of March to ask if they would defer the insurance because of lockdown. The answer was no. We will not be getting TD insurance in future.
Old May 10th 2020, 4:57 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrebell
You would never get there would you? Aren't the caledonian mcbrayne ferries not running at the moment? Isn't that the company name
According to my map, you can drive there on the A87, no need of a ferry.
Old May 10th 2020, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Correct - there’s the Skye Bridge.
Old May 10th 2020, 8:40 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We bought annual travel insurance with TD early March. Called them at the end of March to ask if they would defer the insurance because of lockdown. The answer was no. We will not be getting TD insurance in future.
Similar - $450 annual policy (for a couple) taken out in February when we had at least 4 international trips planned. Last one finally cancelled on Friday. Going to call Allianz to see if we can defer but not hopeful.
Old May 10th 2020, 8:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kooky.
Similar - $450 annual policy (for a couple) taken out in February when we had at least 4 international trips planned. Last one finally cancelled on Friday. Going to call Allianz to see if we can defer but not hopeful.
we paid over $600. Bloody cheek especially as the lockdown is government mandated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.