Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

COVID-19 GC/Visa Implications

COVID-19 GC/Visa Implications

Old Mar 25th 2020, 3:00 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 14
Bushers is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation COVID-19 GC/Visa Implications

Been some time since I was on the forum - moved back to the UK in 2014 but am now in full transfer back to the US amid the turmoil of the Coronavirus situation.

I'm a LPR and have maintained GC status since leaving with re-entry permits, thing is with the transition I am in, we had planned a house hunting trip next Friday (3rd Apr) as our re-entry permits expire the end of April - need to reset the clock while we are in transition before the final move in July/August.
Clearly this is now very contentious as although the flights are still operating, we will have to self-quarantine in a hotel that may or may not be open for 14 days, then go about our business if there is any place open to visit!
Its a tough dilemma that I am hoping the USCIS will grant some level of flexible waiver extension for people in my situation, I know I am not alone in this as there are many scenarios like mine.
I'm not necessarily looking for an answer, our company lawyers are waiting until next week to see if anything is released that changes the landscape but wanted to see if anyone else is in this boat?
Bushers is offline  
Old Mar 25th 2020, 3:14 pm
  #2  
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,336
tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: COVID-19 GC/Visa Implications

Originally Posted by Bushers View Post
Been some time since I was on the forum - moved back to the UK in 2014 but am now in full transfer back to the US amid the turmoil of the Coronavirus situation.

I'm a LPR and have maintained GC status since leaving with re-entry permits, thing is with the transition I am in, we had planned a house hunting trip next Friday (3rd Apr) as our re-entry permits expire the end of April - need to reset the clock while we are in transition before the final move in July/August.
Clearly this is now very contentious as although the flights are still operating, we will have to self-quarantine in a hotel that may or may not be open for 14 days, then go about our business if there is any place open to visit!
Its a tough dilemma that I am hoping the USCIS will grant some level of flexible waiver extension for people in my situation, I know I am not alone in this as there are many scenarios like mine.
I'm not necessarily looking for an answer, our company lawyers are waiting until next week to see if anything is released that changes the landscape but wanted to see if anyone else is in this boat?
A holiday rental from somewhere like VRBO would probably be more useful than a hotel room. I would 100% want to be so where with a yard (garden). But you would also have to figure out getting groceries. Your first checklist item should be local health insurance being in place before you even get on a plane.
tht is offline  
Old Mar 25th 2020, 3:47 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 14
Bushers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: COVID-19 GC/Visa Implications

Originally Posted by tht View Post
A holiday rental from somewhere like VRBO would probably be more useful than a hotel room. I would 100% want to be so where with a yard (garden). But you would also have to figure out getting groceries. Your first checklist item should be local health insurance being in place before you even get on a plane.
I have insurance through company travel policy so not an issue there - defo a good idea on the VRBO idea, have used several times in the past so will look into that, thanks!
Bushers is offline  
Old Mar 25th 2020, 3:53 pm
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,044
retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: COVID-19 GC/Visa Implications

Originally Posted by Bushers View Post
we had planned a house hunting trip next Friday (3rd Apr)
I do not like your chances of getting any house hunting done right now. Even after you are done with self-isolation, how many realtors will be conducting business, much less tours??

Since the practical part of the trip is off the table, you are left with immigration logistics. I imagine that "global pandemic" is a pretty compelling reason for not having met the timeline of your re-entry permit. Be sure to document your current tickets before you change them, so you can substantiate your intent to return on time.

On the flip side, I think "global pandemic" is in the exclusions of just about every travel insurance policy. So I wouldn't make any assumptions about being covered.
retzie is offline  
Old Mar 25th 2020, 4:02 pm
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 14
Bushers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: COVID-19 GC/Visa Implications

retzie, you make a good point - I'm just wary of the USCIS policy and how black and white they can be at certain ports - I have sent the current evidences and flight bookings etc to our lawyers for record, I would expect that we wont travel until Easter - I'm hearing it will all be cleared up by then according to the POTUS?

In seriousness- late summer is my guess before any type of change is made to lockdown policies.
Bushers is offline  
Old Mar 25th 2020, 4:50 pm
  #6  
Concierge
 
Rete's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 44,047
Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: COVID-19 GC/Visa Implications

If your re-entry permits expire, all is not lost. You can apply for a returning resident entry document from the US Consulate in London, when it reopens if it closes.
Rete is offline  
Old Mar 25th 2020, 5:04 pm
  #7  
BE Commentator
 
S Folinsky's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 7,375
S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: COVID-19 GC/Visa Implications

Originally Posted by Bushers View Post
Been some time since I was on the forum - moved back to the UK in 2014 but am now in full transfer back to the US amid the turmoil of the Coronavirus situation.

I'm a LPR and have maintained GC status since leaving with re-entry permits, thing is with the transition I am in, we had planned a house hunting trip next Friday (3rd Apr) as our re-entry permits expire the end of April - need to reset the clock while we are in transition before the final move in July/August.
Clearly this is now very contentious as although the flights are still operating, we will have to self-quarantine in a hotel that may or may not be open for 14 days, then go about our business if there is any place open to visit!
Its a tough dilemma that I am hoping the USCIS will grant some level of flexible waiver extension for people in my situation, I know I am not alone in this as there are many scenarios like mine.
I'm not necessarily looking for an answer, our company lawyers are waiting until next week to see if anything is released that changes the landscape but wanted to see if anyone else is in this boat?
I am a retired immigration lawyer. As a general matter I don’t give individual advice. But I do feel free to relate my experience in a case similar to yours. Client had inadvertently made a calendar error and allowed his reentry permit to expire. The “company lawyers” had laid out what he had to do. (A firm partner referred the later litigation part to me, but I digress). The Consular Officer informally told client “don’t waste your time” suggesting he talk to the local INS officer. The INS officer was quite practical and gave advice which was not exactly legally kosher but it was possible to board the plane and resolve the issues in LA. (If a lawyer was to give that express advice, their bar card would’ve been at risk, but I again digress.)

Not only did we win the removal case, the Immigration Judge was mad at former INS for wasting HIS time.

Furthermore deponent sayeth not.

Last edited by S Folinsky; Mar 25th 2020 at 5:09 pm.
S Folinsky is offline  
Old Mar 25th 2020, 5:16 pm
  #8  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Boiler's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 33,401
Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: COVID-19 GC/Visa Implications

Originally Posted by Bushers View Post
I have insurance through company travel policy so not an issue there - defo a good idea on the VRBO idea, have used several times in the past so will look into that, thanks!
That sounds odd, most unlikely a UK policy would cover a US resident whilst they are in the US.
Boiler is offline  
Old Mar 25th 2020, 5:37 pm
  #9  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 14
Bushers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: COVID-19 GC/Visa Implications

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
That sounds odd, most unlikely a UK policy would cover a US resident whilst they are in the US.
I work for a US employer and have been on assignment in the UK..
Bushers is offline  
Old Mar 25th 2020, 5:50 pm
  #10  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Boiler's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 33,401
Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: COVID-19 GC/Visa Implications

Originally Posted by Bushers View Post
I work for a US employer and have been on assignment in the UK..
Ahh, so the travel Insurance you have is provided by your US Employer whilst you are in the UK, and you have the regular US Health Insurance in the US, that makes much more sense.
Boiler is offline  
Old Mar 25th 2020, 9:51 pm
  #11  
BE Commentator
 
S Folinsky's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 7,375
S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: COVID-19 GC/Visa Implications

Out of idle curiosity during “stay at home” I looked up the regulations governing OP’s situation. They hadn’t changed all that much since I handled that case I mentioned. However, I now tend to think that an attorney can ethically advise how to do it.
S Folinsky is offline  
Old Mar 31st 2020, 10:26 pm
  #12  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,966
augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: COVID-19 GC/Visa Implications

Is yours an essential field?
augigi is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.