Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

COVID-19 GC/Visa Implications

COVID-19 GC/Visa Implications

Old Mar 25th 2020, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

Bushers is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation COVID-19 GC/Visa Implications

Been some time since I was on the forum - moved back to the UK in 2014 but am now in full transfer back to the US amid the turmoil of the Coronavirus situation.

I'm a LPR and have maintained GC status since leaving with re-entry permits, thing is with the transition I am in, we had planned a house hunting trip next Friday (3rd Apr) as our re-entry permits expire the end of April - need to reset the clock while we are in transition before the final move in July/August.
Clearly this is now very contentious as although the flights are still operating, we will have to self-quarantine in a hotel that may or may not be open for 14 days, then go about our business if there is any place open to visit!
Its a tough dilemma that I am hoping the USCIS will grant some level of flexible waiver extension for people in my situation, I know I am not alone in this as there are many scenarios like mine.
I'm not necessarily looking for an answer, our company lawyers are waiting until next week to see if anything is released that changes the landscape but wanted to see if anyone else is in this boat?
Old Mar 25th 2020, 3:14 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: COVID-19 GC/Visa Implications

Originally Posted by Bushers
Been some time since I was on the forum - moved back to the UK in 2014 but am now in full transfer back to the US amid the turmoil of the Coronavirus situation.

I'm a LPR and have maintained GC status since leaving with re-entry permits, thing is with the transition I am in, we had planned a house hunting trip next Friday (3rd Apr) as our re-entry permits expire the end of April - need to reset the clock while we are in transition before the final move in July/August.
Clearly this is now very contentious as although the flights are still operating, we will have to self-quarantine in a hotel that may or may not be open for 14 days, then go about our business if there is any place open to visit!
Its a tough dilemma that I am hoping the USCIS will grant some level of flexible waiver extension for people in my situation, I know I am not alone in this as there are many scenarios like mine.
I'm not necessarily looking for an answer, our company lawyers are waiting until next week to see if anything is released that changes the landscape but wanted to see if anyone else is in this boat?
A holiday rental from somewhere like VRBO would probably be more useful than a hotel room. I would 100% want to be so where with a yard (garden). But you would also have to figure out getting groceries. Your first checklist item should be local health insurance being in place before you even get on a plane.
Old Mar 25th 2020, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tht
A holiday rental from somewhere like VRBO would probably be more useful than a hotel room. I would 100% want to be so where with a yard (garden). But you would also have to figure out getting groceries. Your first checklist item should be local health insurance being in place before you even get on a plane.
I have insurance through company travel policy so not an issue there - defo a good idea on the VRBO idea, have used several times in the past so will look into that, thanks!
Old Mar 25th 2020, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

we had planned a house hunting trip next Friday (3rd Apr)
I do not like your chances of getting any house hunting done right now. Even after you are done with self-isolation, how many realtors will be conducting business, much less tours??

Since the practical part of the trip is off the table, you are left with immigration logistics. I imagine that "global pandemic" is a pretty compelling reason for not having met the timeline of your re-entry permit. Be sure to document your current tickets before you change them, so you can substantiate your intent to return on time.

On the flip side, I think "global pandemic" is in the exclusions of just about every travel insurance policy. So I wouldn't make any assumptions about being covered.
Old Mar 25th 2020, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

retzie, you make a good point - I'm just wary of the USCIS policy and how black and white they can be at certain ports - I have sent the current evidences and flight bookings etc to our lawyers for record, I would expect that we wont travel until Easter - I'm hearing it will all be cleared up by then according to the POTUS?

In seriousness- late summer is my guess before any type of change is made to lockdown policies.
Old Mar 25th 2020, 4:50 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

If your re-entry permits expire, all is not lost. You can apply for a returning resident entry document from the US Consulate in London, when it reopens if it closes.
Old Mar 25th 2020, 5:04 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I am a retired immigration lawyer. As a general matter I don’t give individual advice. But I do feel free to relate my experience in a case similar to yours. Client had inadvertently made a calendar error and allowed his reentry permit to expire. The “company lawyers” had laid out what he had to do. (A firm partner referred the later litigation part to me, but I digress). The Consular Officer informally told client “don’t waste your time” suggesting he talk to the local INS officer. The INS officer was quite practical and gave advice which was not exactly legally kosher but it was possible to board the plane and resolve the issues in LA. (If a lawyer was to give that express advice, their bar card would’ve been at risk, but I again digress.)

Not only did we win the removal case, the Immigration Judge was mad at former INS for wasting HIS time.

Furthermore deponent sayeth not.

Last edited by S Folinsky; Mar 25th 2020 at 5:09 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2020, 5:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have insurance through company travel policy so not an issue there - defo a good idea on the VRBO idea, have used several times in the past so will look into that, thanks!
That sounds odd, most unlikely a UK policy would cover a US resident whilst they are in the US.
Old Mar 25th 2020, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
That sounds odd, most unlikely a UK policy would cover a US resident whilst they are in the US.
I work for a US employer and have been on assignment in the UK..
Old Mar 25th 2020, 5:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I work for a US employer and have been on assignment in the UK..
Ahh, so the travel Insurance you have is provided by your US Employer whilst you are in the UK, and you have the regular US Health Insurance in the US, that makes much more sense.
Old Mar 25th 2020, 9:51 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Out of idle curiosity during “stay at home” I looked up the regulations governing OP’s situation. They hadn’t changed all that much since I handled that case I mentioned. However, I now tend to think that an attorney can ethically advise how to do it.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Is yours an essential field?