Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A couple of questions-BritAmerican baby & passport

Wikiposts

A couple of questions-BritAmerican baby & passport

Old Sep 19th 2010, 12:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A couple of questions-BritAmerican baby & passport

Originally Posted by lonestargirl
Congrats tonrob, I am also expecting a dual-citizen baby in the New Year.

In terms of annecdotal vs actual experiences of one parent bringing a child through immigration my friend was questioned for 1.5 hours in secondary in Houston last year. She is a Norweigan citizen, LPR through marriage to a USC (for 5+ years at this time) and was bringing her 6-month old USC child back to Houston following a visit to her parents. She did not change her name when she got married and was asked how she could prove that the child was hers, she didn't have a letter of consent or the birth cert with her and was unable to do so. They let her through eventually.
Interesting. and bizarre.

I (LPR) brought our USC infant back whose last name differs to mine into the USA. No dramas and only one customs form required despite the diferen last names.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

SEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to behold

Just to add to the anecdotal evidence...

I am a here on a GC, wife is USC, we have two girls (currently US passports only, I keep meaning to get them their UK passports but haven't got 'round to it), my wife has a different last name than me and the girls.

I have flown back and forth Washington DC to LHR many times with one or other daughter, and the missus has flown with one or both girls alone even more often, and there has never been even the slightest hint of a mention of permission letters being needed.

I'm not saying it's impossible, just giving my experience...
Old Sep 29th 2010, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

sorry i keep thinking of questions!

which card do i fill out on the flight back to the US, do i even need to fill one out? Im a permenant resident, and will i ned to fill out a form for the baby who is a Us citizen?
Old Sep 29th 2010, 12:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PepsiChic
sorry i keep thinking of questions!

which card do i fill out on the flight back to the US, do i even need to fill one out? Im a permenant resident, and will i ned to fill out a form for the baby who is a Us citizen?
One green card covers both of you.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 3:18 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
One green card covers both of you.
You must mean one customs card, not the green I94W card.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 3:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by JAJ
You must mean one customs card, not the green I94W card.
Yes. I thought that the customs card is green. Hmmm. Maybe it's white. I actually attempted to post three times, my crackberry kept crashing, hence the brevity of my post.