Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A couple of K1 questions

A couple of K1 questions

Old Nov 1st 2009, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

claire-and-garrett is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A couple of K1 questions

Hello folks! This is a fantastic forum with tonnes of helpful info and very friendly people so I thought it was about time I signed up and got stuck in

I have been diligently following this forum for several weeks now and have spent quite some time investigating the various options for myself and lovely American gentleman to be together. We want to get married so it seems like the best option for us is the K1 visa.

I'm aware that my US counterpart will have to send an I-129 petition (complete with G-325A for both of us and passport photos). Once he gets the thumbs up then everything looks like it'll be up to me.

I've been looking at the K1 visa process and it seems fiddly, but I've already had to deal with the London embassy for a J-1 in the past so I'm not totally and completely baffled by this whole thing. However, I do have some questions that I thought you guys might be able to help me with!

1. What constitutes as proof of engagement? Something like ring receipts are all I can think of - but what if you don't have an engagement ring? Can anyone shed some light on this?

2. I'm aware an I-134 form will have to be submitted along with other documentation for my visa interview in London. However, my US fiance is a student and does not have massive amounts of cash. I am the primary bread winner at the moment. Can my assets be used as evidence for financial support or are assets valid from my sponsor only?

I'm not even THINKING about the paperwork for permanent residency yet, too many questions and nonsense for this K-1 stuff!

In a non-visa related question, how do British expats find living in the USA? Is it difficult to adjust to the US way of life? I know this sounds like a silly question, but I bet it must be quite hard to leave everything and everyone you know behind.

Thanks very much for any help people can give!
Old Nov 1st 2009, 9:17 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A couple of K1 questions

Originally Posted by claire-and-garrett
I'm aware that my US counterpart will have to send an I-129 petition...
An I-129F, yes!

What constitutes as proof of engagement?
You don't need proof of engagement, other than your word indicating that you intend to wed.

Can my assets be used as evidence for financial support or are assets valid from my sponsor only?
Yes, your assets can be used. Quite common for UK folks... although less common for non-UK folks.

Is it difficult to adjust to the US way of life?
I guess that depends on what you're expecting once you get here! Most make the adjustment well... some, not so well. If you like marmite or good chocolate, stock up before you come over!

Ian
Old Nov 1st 2009, 9:35 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

1. What constitutes as proof of engagement? Something like ring receipts are all I can think of - but what if you don't have an engagement ring? Can anyone shed some light on this?
Hi Claire, Welcome to BE.

You don't really need to prove your engagement. Rather, you need to prove you met in person at least once during the past two years. Items such as photos together, airline ticket stubs, passport stamps, etc.

Also make sure you include everything needed to submit with the I-129F (you left out the original statements of intent from both of you).

2. I'm aware an I-134 form will have to be submitted along with other documentation for my visa interview in London. However, my US fiance is a student and does not have massive amounts of cash. I am the primary bread winner at the moment. Can my assets be used as evidence for financial support or are assets valid from my sponsor only?
Depending on how much you have in assets, you could even "self-sponsor" instead of having him do an I-134. There is no set amount for this, it's up to the ConOff to determine whether you qualify, based on the amount you show at the visa interview. Savings of a significant amount is the best asset to have. Property is not so great because of the bad market right now on selling property.

When the time comes for your AOS, you will need a joint sponsor for the I-864 if your husband is not earning enough by that time.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Nov 1st 2009, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

Ian, thanks very much for your help. That pesky "f" got away from me! There are so many similar forms - why they have to be all numbers is beyond me... Why couldn't they call the forms after foodstuffs or something? A sausage form would be way easier to remember than an I-129F...

One more question I'm afraid. If my assets can be used (hooray!), I take it this only needs to be confirmed at the visa interview with the consular officer in London when I present the I-134, where I could explain to them the financial circumstances and present evidence (bank statements etc)?

Renee, thanks for the welcome! With respect to property, I currently have quite a considerable sum of equity locked up in my house, which I am considering selling. Being sensible, I'm assuming the CO wouldn't accept that as evidence of assets unless the equity was unlocked by selling the house, rather than owning it as you previously mentioned.

And yes, the I-129F (sausage form) does need a tonne of stuff to go away with it. My poor other half! Although, to be fair, it'll be me with the headache if we get the tumbs up to proceed with the K-1 process
Old Nov 1st 2009, 9:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

In a non-visa related question, how do British expats find living in the USA? Is it difficult to adjust to the US way of life? I know this sounds like a silly question, but I bet it must be quite hard to leave everything and everyone you know behind.
The others have answered your other questions....but this...well, search the forums to get an idea as there's a wide range of reactions.

Most aren't to bad, but certain things great, which you whinge about and folk understand where your coming from without having to annoy those local to you, which sometimes comes across that one doesn't like life here, but it's usually not the case.

Anyway, how one adjusts, depends on personal circumstances, where they are moving from, where they are moving too, if they have a job, family and all that stuff.

Oh and welcome to BE!
Old Nov 1st 2009, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
Anyway, how one adjusts, depends on personal circumstances, where they are moving from, where they are moving too, if they have a job, family and all that stuff.
Thanks Bob, it'll be interesting to see the different reactions to moving to the US. I'm a Scot through and through and although I loved NC when I visited, I did find things so incredibly different that I wonder if I'd have trouble adjusting. Silly things like the lack of public transport and little consideration for vegetarian food bothered me, so I'm hoping that these daft things wouldn't be a problem if I ended up moving there But big things have made me think too - like paying for medical insurance and the prevalence of guns compared to back home (they scare me quite a lot). Fingers crossed I'd take like a duck to water though!
Old Nov 1st 2009, 10:59 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a Scot through and through and although I loved NC when I visited, I did find things so incredibly different that I wonder if I'd have trouble adjusting.
I was born in Glasgow, but I absolutely love Edinburgh. When Sheila and I arranged a holiday to Scotland last summer we went to Edinburgh and didn't even both going to Glasgow! Thoroughly enjoyed it! Saw Nessie in the Loch... true story; I have a photo!

North Carolina is lovely! It's about a 5 hour drive southeast of me - and I think you'll be fine once you settle in with your guy. Remember... it's an adventure. Read some Robert Frost before you go! I recommend "The Road Not Taken". It's been a source of tremendous comfort for me!

Ian
Old Nov 1st 2009, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

My mum is from Glasgow, and now my sister lives up there! but im from the south-west of england in um...o-er combine har'vesterrr land with tra'ters etc

As for how im finding it, I moved to Missouri on K1 visa. Once the wedding was over with, the AOS delt with Ive begun to notice more and more differences. Im still loving it here. I am however beginning to miss the simpler things, like being able to walk to the town, not having a beach to enjoy anymore and struggling to find food i like to eat. Still its a learning process, and has its ups and downs. More ups then downs
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

a) A sausage form would be way easier to remember than an I-129F...

b) If my assets can be used (hooray!), I take it this only needs to be confirmed at the visa interview with the consular officer in London when I present the I-134, where I could explain to them the financial circumstances and present evidence (bank statements etc)?

c) I currently have quite a considerable sum of equity locked up in my house, which I am considering selling. Being sensible, I'm assuming the CO wouldn't accept that as evidence of assets unless the equity was unlocked by selling the house, rather than owning it as you previously mentioned.
a) Funny you should mention sausage.....that's another thing you'll need to get used to, you can't get decent ones here.

b) Yes. Bank statements is fine. Take two or three months worth so it can be shown that you didn't borrow GBP20k last month for the purpose of getting approval at the interview.

c) They actually used to accept equity in property....until the housing market crashed. Now it needs to be liquid. I got approval with house equity just in time (June 2008) before it all went mammaries skyward.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

Jade84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
An I-129F, yes!

If you like marmite or good chocolate, stock up before you come over!

Ian
You mean you don't think Hershey's is the BEST CHOCOLATE EVER??!
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 11:37 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jade84
You mean you don't think Hershey's is the BEST CHOCOLATE EVER??!
Ugh... gag! Gi'us a good Cadbury's bar any day!

Ian
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

Jade84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Ugh... gag! Gi'us a good Cadbury's bar any day!

Ian
Too right. I think I could possibly qualify as an official importer of Cadbury's chocolate. I bring loads of it back to the US from every trip. Soooo delicious!
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 3:52 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

There is a short statement you both include with the petition stating that you're aware of the requirement to marry within 90 days of the K-1 entry and that you are willing and intend to do so.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 3:55 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hello folks! This is a fantastic forum with tonnes of helpful info and very friendly people so I thought it was about time I signed up and got stuck in
Welcome to the adventure.

Please start with the K-1 wiki http://britishexpats.com/wiki/K1_ and when you're ready, move on to the London specific entry there too.

If you click through to the London Embassy website, you'll find an entire page devoted just to the topic of 'meeting the public charge' and the evidence (incl of your own funds) that can be presented at the interview.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna

If you click through to the London Embassy website, you'll find an entire page devoted just to the topic of 'meeting the public charge' and the evidence (incl of your own funds) that can be presented at the interview.
Hi Meauxna, thanks v. much for the info - I've had a look at the wiki and the London embassy page and this helps clear a lot of questions up for me.

With respect to chocolate, I'm all for the Cadbury's!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.