British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Country clubs in Jersey (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/country-clubs-jersey-360146/)

William Shaw Mar 9th 2006 2:59 pm

Country clubs in Jersey

I am planning on moving to the Tri-state area from London and am very interested in New Jersey (particularly Essex County). I have always liked the idea of Golf and country clubs that the whole family can use together (and I can play golf guilt free!).

Are these places all terribly expensive and exclusive, or are some of them accessible?

Englishmum Mar 9th 2006 6:00 pm

Re: Country clubs in Jersey

Originally Posted by William Shaw
I am planning on moving to the Tri-state area from London and am very interested in New Jersey (particularly Essex County). I have always liked the idea of Golf and country clubs that the whole family can use together (and I can play golf guilt free!).

Are these places all terribly expensive and exclusive, or are some of them accessible?

Yes.

When I first moved here (July 2000) I was chatting with an expat about joining a country club on the border of Short Hills & Summit (as it isn't a perk with our company in the US but it is in Asia) and rapidly changed my mind when I discovered what the fees were; at that time the Canoe Brook Golf & Country Club in my neighbourhood in Short Hills charged $36,000 to join, plus monthly dues - and you have to spend a certain minimum amount every quarter on food and beverages. It was only shortly before I arrived that apparently the club opened membership to Jewish members. You also have to know people to nominate and second you and there is often a long wait-list to join.

There are other clubs in the area but not all have golf courses - just tennis courts and open-air pools open between late May and early September - again you need someone to propose and second you. In our township there is a 9 hole course operated by the local recreation dept (you have to sign up with the rec and pay a small fee for each round) and the adjacent East Orange 18 hole golf course - with restaurant and bar - also in Short Hills open to anyone for approx $50 per round.

In nearby Springfield there is also the golf course (Baltusrol) where the PGA championship was held last Summer.....again v. expensive and a long wait list to join.

Jerseygirl Mar 9th 2006 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by William Shaw

Yes. Generally most things are more expensive here than the UK.

Big D Mar 9th 2006 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Yes. Generally most things are more expensive here than the UK.

Sorry - did i read that right? Most things are more expensive in the US than the UK?? Or do you mean NY in particular?

Jerseygirl Mar 9th 2006 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Big D
Sorry - did i read that right? Most things are more expensive in the US than the UK?? Or do you mean NY in particular?

Yes, sorry, I meant to say in the tri-state area. i.e. utilities, insurance, property, property taxes, etc. that's why people move out of the area when they retire.

Englishmum Mar 9th 2006 8:06 pm

Just remembered something - just a mile from our house is the Short Hills Club -a small club private club with a small lake. We hadn't even noticed it for a long time as it is off a side road, but we were curious and one day my husband and I turned up and asked for a tour of the club.

Well, there wasn't much there - just some tennis courts, a nice patio with a pool and a club house with a restaurant. The oddest thing was when we asked the guy at reception what the joining fees were; he completely avoided the question as if it was vulgar to even ask! We assumed it was on a sliding scale according to ones connections because that was all he seemed to be interested in. We explained that as we had moved from overseas we just didn't know anyone who could propose and second us if we applied to join. He then suggested that we get someone from 'our church' to propose us but in any case it could take years to move up the wait list....

We don't go to church.

We didn't bother pursuing it - but I never did find out the cost of joining... :rolleyes:

Jerseygirl Mar 9th 2006 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Just remembered something - just a mile from our house is the Short Hills Club -a small club private club with a small lake. We hadn't even noticed it for a long time as it is off a side road, but we were curious and one day my husband and I turned up and asked for a tour of the club.

Well, there wasn't much there - just some tennis courts, a nice patio with a pool and a club house with a restaurant. The oddest thing was when we asked the guy at reception what the joining fees were; he completely avoided the question as if it was vulgar to even ask! We assumed it was on a sliding scale according to ones connections because that was all he seemed to be interested in. We explained that as we had moved from overseas we just didn't know anyone who could propose and second us if we applied to join. He then suggested that we get someone from 'our church' to propose us but in any case it could take years to move up the wait list....

We don't go to church.

We didn't bother pursuing it - but I never did find out the cost of joining... :rolleyes:

Yes its very much a case of 'if you have to ask you can't afford' around here and I find the church/religion brigade really annoying.

gruffbrown Mar 9th 2006 11:46 pm

Fa Naa, Fa Naa :rolleyes: Oh, the fun I could have with this :D

Jerseygirl Mar 9th 2006 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by gruffbrown

Come on then, do share, I could do with a good laugh. :p

Bob Mar 9th 2006 11:56 pm

innit...out where the folks live, $20 a round of golf, 18 holes, $12 for 9 holes...it's a pretty nice place, and membership if you join really is cheap...but then when you go to the loaf, whole new ball game and it costs an arm and a leg to get a round in, though they do fantastic fathers day deals where a round of golf for two costs $50...usually get charged that for 9 holes a person, at a shite T time...but then BIL usually works there in the summer, works on the greens and get's 4 free T's a week, so not bad :D

clydegirl Mar 10th 2006 3:15 am

Spill the beans please :)

mandpete Mar 10th 2006 3:16 am

We went to a 7 year old's birthday party at Trenton Country Club (yes really)and it was full of old fuddy duddies (to put it mildly). It was like taking a step back into the 50s and I couldn't wait to get out of the place.

My husband plays, or at least tries to play golf at the local municipal courses in Mercer County which are fantastic and it usually costs him around $20.00 a game/round (18 holes). There is also a great club house which puts some of the English clubs to shame. Golf is certainly not an 'elite' game over here. Any Tom, Dick or Harry can turn up and be welcomed to play as long as they have the right shoes and a set of clubs.

PS. The best schools, as of last month, in NJ are in Mercer County, West Windsor to be exact. Plus there is an excellent train service into NY Penn Station which takes about an hour. A lot of people commute into NY or Philadelphia from this area.

Bob Mar 10th 2006 3:41 am

Originally Posted by mandpete
... Golf is certainly not an 'elite' game over here. Any Tom, Dick or Harry can turn up and be welcomed to play as long as they have the right shoes and a set of clubs.

That's very true, schools are big into it, well around here they are, get a lot of kids doing golf to get into college teams because a lot of the schools are shite at basketball, baseball and yank footie, which only leaves hockey and golf.

William Shaw Mar 10th 2006 8:13 am

Thanks all, a lot of good advice even if it seems as though we are going to be living a very quiet life! Either that or I'll have to put the kids to work early.

Do they allow 4 year olds to do paper rounds?

Ben Mar 10th 2006 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
That's very true, schools are big into it, well around here they are, get a lot of kids doing golf to get into college teams because a lot of the schools are shite at basketball, baseball and yank footie, which only leaves hockey and golf.

Yeah, true here too. The kids love playing golf both at the schools and local community colleges. Even the golf club that has the world tornaments much further west from us on Long Island isn't exclusive membership. Our township has some great golf courses at really good prices.

I found the golf clubs in the UK much more exclusive and the only way to be able to join was to put your name on a very long list and wait for someone to die! Or you had to be in the 'in crowd' and be their guest a few times.