British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   countersignatory for passport (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/countersignatory-passport-697207/)

Snowdogg Dec 16th 2010 4:20 pm

countersignatory for passport

Hi,
I need to apply for a new passport, my old one has been expired since 98...apparantely I need to apply for a first time passport now and need a countersignatory on the forms....I'm having a heart attack as I don't know anyone British here who could sign, I have no one in the UK either except my mum who has Alzheimer's so I can't ask her.

I'm getting so upset as I need to visit my mum very soon, she's going to get to the point of not even knowing who I am and it's breaking my heart, I have to get over there, usually she comes over here to visit....anyone have any advice about what I can do????

Thank you for any help!

Nutmegger Dec 16th 2010 4:23 pm

Re: countersignatory for passport

They don't have to be British. Use your doctor, lawyer, bank manager -- anyone you know who has some kind of professional standing. I used my dogs' vet!

Sally Redux Dec 16th 2010 4:25 pm

Yes they don't have to be British. We used one of my husband's work colleagues.

robin1234 Dec 16th 2010 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9044381)
Yes they don't have to be British. We used one of my husband's work colleagues.

I used a Library Director..

Ozzidoc Dec 16th 2010 4:50 pm

How long were you planning on being back in the UK? You can use your US passport if it's for a short visit.

Giantaxe Dec 16th 2010 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 9044377)
They don't have to be British. Use your doctor, lawyer, bank manager -- anyone you know who has some kind of professional standing. I used my dogs' vet!

As though people in "professional" jobs are more trustworthy than everyone else. A piece a classist snobbery that ought to have been done away with a long time ago.

robin1234 Dec 16th 2010 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 9044692)
As though people in "professional" jobs are more trustworthy than everyone else. A piece a classist snobbery that ought to have been done away with a long time ago.

It is definitely an anachronism. Aren't they simply trying (somewhat ineffectually) to get at what in the US is achieved by getting a document notarized?

Ridski Dec 16th 2010 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 9044696)
It is definitely an anachronism. Aren't they simply trying (somewhat ineffectually) to get at what in the US is achieved by getting a document notarized?

Yep. It was always a strange thing to me. My first passport renewal I had the photos signed by a friend who was a University lecturer. The second time I just asked my boss. I've always stayed away from lawyers and doctors... ;)

lansbury Dec 16th 2010 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 9044692)

Oh do I notice a touch of jealously over those of us deemed worthy enough to countersign passports. :p

Bob Dec 16th 2010 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 9044802)
Oh do I notice a touch of jealously over those of us deemed worthy enough to countersign passports. :p

You'd have to be a regular of the clink to go ask your local copper though :D

robin1234 Dec 17th 2010 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 9044802)

Oh come on! This is America, land of opportunity! I can purchase a Doctor of Divinity diploma, establish a "church", and I'm good to go!!

lansbury Dec 17th 2010 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 9045896)
Oh come on! This is America, land of opportunity! I can purchase a Doctor of Divinity diploma, establish a "church", and I'm good to go!!

I believe Ian Paisley did that and I wouldn't let him countersign anything of mine.