Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Countersign Questions

Countersign Questions

Old Jan 3rd 2014, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

notonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Countersign Questions

Originally Posted by thekettlewitch
That's great, but I think the issue is when the countersignatory does not hold a British or Irish passport. Then they need to send a copy with the application and this information is buried outside of the website you use which holds the app form, guidance notes etc as per Norri's link.
My counter signatory is Puerto Rican with a US passport. I had a quick look at the link I used when I renewed in October https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports and it appears the same with no copy of counter signatory passport required.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...otes_08.13.pdf section 10 on page 11 just an email and contact phone number required

Last edited by notonuksoil; Jan 3rd 2014 at 10:41 pm. Reason: added the link to guidance notes
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

Markie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by notonuksoil
My counter signatory is Puerto Rican with a US passport. I had a quick look at the link I used when I renewed in October https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports and it appears the same with no copy of counter signatory passport required.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...otes_08.13.pdf section 10 on page 11 just an email and contact phone number required
That's why I was confused and didn't do it, that and the notes on the application say email and phone number. The website does say a copy of the passport info page, but I forgot this. Well, they DID require the info page - and the letter requesting it took three weeks to arrive. We'll see how long his response takes to get to them. Anyways, in my case it added 4-5 weeks of delay (at least! I'm not through this stage yet) to my application processing.

It's odd how things can be so inconsistent. I guess that's the concept of randomness in checks, since they can't check everyone so thoroughly, but still...
Old Jan 4th 2014, 1:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

What am I missing? I've never been asked for a counter signatory when renewing my UK passport.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

Markie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hotscot
What am I missing? I've never been asked for a counter signatory when renewing my UK passport.
Renewing an adult passport doesn't require one. Getting a first adult passport or renewing a child passport, however, does.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

pgt5s is an unknown quantity at this point

is www.gov.uk the correct website to use, or is this a 3rd party. I haven't followed the full process on the website yet (wanted to check here first); however it appeared they take some of the information online including payment - does this sound right?

Thanks
Old Jan 30th 2014, 7:48 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pgt5s
is www.gov.uk the correct website to use, or is this a 3rd party. I haven't followed the full process on the website yet (wanted to check here first); however it appeared they take some of the information online including payment - does this sound right?

Thanks
That is correct, seems online payment and other changes came into effect Jan 29th. This URL takes you to the passport pages https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Old Jan 30th 2014, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

pgt5s is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lansbury
That is correct, seems online payment and other changes came into effect Jan 29th. This URL takes you to the passport pages https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Great. Thanks for confirming this.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

sergeyvo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lansbury
I might be the first who used it. I didn't actually know about these changes, but submitted my application yesterday. The procdure was pretty easy and they charged my card immediatelly - there is no risk of application return due to any credit card issues.

I haven't seen any formal request for a countersignatory passport photocopy in the forms, but enclosed a black&white one following BE rumors. Sent everythign today and now I became paranoic after reading this topic about the colour.....

The application was made for my daughter - any chance to "win"?

If they request a colour photocopy of the US passport - how will they contact my countersignatory? He left his address and phone number.... Is any chance to send the photocopy separately by myself?

Last edited by sergeyvo; Jan 30th 2014 at 11:59 pm.