Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Countersign Questions

Countersign Questions

Old Jan 3rd 2014, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

mp04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Countersign Questions

Hey, I know this has been answered a few times, but I think things may have changed, or something, but... We submitted our application for renewal and even though we do not need to use a countersign form (according to their rules guidelines), the UK Passport renewal company is requiring we fill one out, but not just fill one out... along with the sign on the form and picture, they also want the counter signer's US or British passport number AND a color photocopy of the informational page.

Does this sound right to anyone else? I can get my local bank manager who we have know for a long time to sign it, but don't think people are going to willing hand over a copy of their passport to send to the UK government.

any thoughts?
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Countersign Questions

Are you sure you need to send off the actual passport, and not just the number? Or you could get a notarized copy at a UPS shop.

Are you using an agent to submit the renewal instead of just sending it direct to the UK Passport agency?
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply, sorry if I typed that wrong, but they don't want the actual passport... they want a color photocopy of it

Email reply from them:
Thank you for your response to my e-mail. You may have a USA passport holder as your coutersignatory so long as they meet our requirements. We will require their passport number and also a colour photocopy of their
bio details page from their passport. If you can provide this at the same time this will speed up the application process for you. The reason we have requested a coutersignatory from you is due to our policy of establishing your identification. We have electronic records which would have confirmed this. However, because your passport was issued before our electronic records began we have to confirm your identity with your
countersignatory. This is part of our process of checks.

Yours sincerely
Guy Atkins
OVS Team 3
Nope, no third party agent used. Sent to the London Address that was on the webpage where you download all the forms and everything from.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

The information differs depending on what page you check

"If you’re applying from outside the UK, they must have a current British, Irish or other EU, US or Commonwealth passport - your application will be processed quicker if they have a British or Irish passport.

When they hold a US, Commonwealth or other EU (not British or Irish) passport, they must provide a colour photocopy of the page with their photograph on it. This must be included with the countersigned application."

This is from here - https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications

I just did mine and included a copy just to be sure.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

Norri, so just to confirm, this is normal then?
Its strange cause last year January, I did my passport (this is my mum's and sister's passport), and when I did mine they didn't ask for anything. No countersign either and all of us looked similar (other then aging) to the pictures in the old red passports. so wasn't really sure what the problem was, but if this is the norm, then maybe what happen to mine was a fluke.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Markie is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't include the colour photocopy of my counter-signatory's information page, and it has severely delayed my passport application. It took over three weeks for their letter requesting it to reach my counter-signatory, and now it's on it's way back to them - so I imagine a total delay of at least 4-6 weeks caused by this oversight. What's worse is I KNEW THIS, but the application FORM didn't state it - just the guidance notes. I assumed (wrongly) the form was more current.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 5:45 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mp04

Nope, no third party agent used. Sent to the London Address that was on the webpage where you download all the forms and everything from.
Who did you actually send it to? The address on the instructions is:-

Her Majesty's Passport Office
OVS-D
Millburngate House
Millburngate
Durham
DH97 1PA

You haven't inadvertently sent it to a third party by any chance. I have just filled my form out and have the envelope address ready to courier to the UK.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lansbury
Who did you actually send it to? The address on the instructions is:-

Her Majesty's Passport Office
OVS-D
Millburngate House
Millburngate
Durham
DH97 1PA

You haven't inadvertently sent it to a third party by any chance. I have just filled my form out and have the envelope address ready to courier to the UK.
He made it pretty clear that he did use a third party agent.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 5:56 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markuhde
He made it pretty clear that he did use a third party agent.
No, he said "Nope, no third party agent used. Sent to the London Address that was on the webpage where you download all the forms and everything from."

But I just wondered if he mistook a third party web site for the official one. Easy enough done if you don't look to carefully, and it wouldn't be the first time or the last it has happened. But the email he quotes looks to be from an official source.

Last edited by lansbury; Jan 3rd 2014 at 5:58 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lansbury
No, he said "Nope, no third party agent used. Sent to the London Address that was on the webpage where you download all the forms and everything from."

But I just wondered if he mistook a third party web site for the official one. Easy enough done if you don't look to carefully, and it wouldn't be the first time or the last it has happened. But the email he quotes looks to be from an official source.
I don't know how I read that and took it as "Yes, third party agent used" - I'm blind today!
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mp04
Norri, so just to confirm, this is normal then?
If you go to the instructions for applying from outside the UK it doesn't mention a passport copy for the countersignatory, the page I linked to does so I just included it to cover all the bases.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

And what if the counter-signatory doesn't have a US passport (assuming its a USC you are using)? Or they refuse to hand over a copy of it. I know I would hesitate handing over a copy.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Norri
If you go to the instructions for applying from outside the UK it doesn't mention a passport copy for the countersignatory, the page I linked to does so I just included it to cover all the bases.
And this discrepancy has already delayed my British passport application by over a month. You MUST include this copy, or they will request it by letter to your counter-signatory. Don't make the mistake I made. If they won't provide it, you will need to find another counter-signatory who will!
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

notonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond repute

I renewed my kids passports in October and did not need any copies of the counter-signatorys passport. He was just required to write his passport number in the area on the form.

Sent everything to the new place in Durham that deals with new passports for people overseas (in the US) and got new passports back in less than 2 weeks.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

thekettlewitch will become famous soon enough

That's great, but I think the issue is when the countersignatory does not hold a British or Irish passport. Then they need to send a copy with the application and this information is buried outside of the website you use which holds the app form, guidance notes etc as per Norri's link.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.