Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

counter-signatory for UK passport

counter-signatory for UK passport

Old Oct 20th 2008, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Amandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of light
Default counter-signatory for UK passport

anyone know how long you should know the person who is doing the counter-signing? do you reckon 5 months is enough?

Amanda
Old Oct 20th 2008, 2:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: counter-signatory for UK passport

Originally Posted by Amandabee
anyone know how long you should know the person who is doing the counter-signing? do you reckon 5 months is enough?

Amanda
I presume you are renewing your UK PP.

If so has your appearance changed? If not you do not need to have the photos countersigned.

All the information you require is available on the website of the UK Embassy in DC...take a look at the renewal form and the instructions that go with it.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 2:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Amanda
They need to have known you for two years or more. This page from the UK passport website may help http://www.ips.gov.uk/passport/apply-countersign.asp

Old Oct 20th 2008, 3:03 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

but the second post is correct in that if you are simply renewing an existing passport the photo does NOT need the counter signatory IF you can still tell its the same (but older person). If the appearance has changed a lot then a signature would be required.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 3:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
but the second post is correct in that if you are simply renewing an existing passport the photo does NOT need the counter signatory IF you can still tell its the same (but older person). If the appearance has changed a lot then a signature would be required.
This is confirmation from the British Consul:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...50&postcount=9
Old Oct 20th 2008, 4:00 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't it also depend on how well you know them? I would never have anyone countersign my application unless I'd slept with them at least once.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Amandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the replies, I'm getting a name change (due to getting married) so i am under the impression that I have to apply for a new one.

The problem is I havent lived here for 2 years, so what do I do in that situation?
Old Oct 20th 2008, 4:17 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies, I'm getting a name change (due to getting married) so i am under the impression that I have to apply for a new one.

The problem is I havent lived here for 2 years, so what do I do in that situation?

Just get signatures from whoever is available and conveniently overlook the 2-year bit?
Old Oct 20th 2008, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tonrob
Just get signatures from whoever is available and conveniently overlook the 2-year bit?

I think thats the only option.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Amanda
The rules say two years .................. BUT !

Mine needed renewing after I had been here 10 months and I went to the local DA who I had know about 6 months, she signed and they accepted it. Not because she was a DA but because it actually say's on the forms 2 years or pick someone who has known you a shorter time and state why !

Old Oct 20th 2008, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
The rules say two years .................. BUT !

Mine needed renewing after I had been here 10 months and I went to the local DA who I had know about 6 months, she signed and they accepted it. Not because she was a DA but because it actually say's on the forms 2 years or pick someone who has known you a shorter time and state why !

WOOOHOOO
Old Oct 20th 2008, 6:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I wouldn't have thought that makes any difference...they have all your details on file...including the previous pic.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 6:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

WOOOHOOO
Haven't you looked at the website and read the form for yourself or have you just come straight on here?
Old Oct 20th 2008, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks jerseygirl - this is the one reason that I don't post on here unless it is an absolute emergency.

OF COURSE I WENT TO THE WEBSITE. but the forms do not say how long you have to know someone, otherwise I WOULDNT HAVE POSTED ON HERE!!!!!!!

I really just like wasting other peoples time asking questions I already know the answer to, or just cannot be bothered finding out the answer on my own.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 6:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks jerseygirl - this is the one reason that I don't post on here unless it is an absolute emergency.

OF COURSE I WENT TO THE WEBSITE. but the forms do not say how long you have to know someone, otherwise I WOULDNT HAVE POSTED ON HERE!!!!!!!

I really just like wasting other peoples time asking questions I already know the answer to, or just cannot be bothered finding out the answer on my own.
It is quite clearly stated on the form. Took me about a minute to find this...Note 7 Section 9...2nd paragraph. As I said earlier I found it at the British Embassy's website in DC.

http://centralcontent.fco.gov.uk/res.../form-c1-notes

I still stand by what I said before...if your appearance hasn't changed you need not get the photos countersigned.

BTW there's no need to shout.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 20th 2008 at 7:09 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.