Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The countdown...

The countdown...

Old Apr 16th 2014, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

nymeria187 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The countdown...

Hi looking for advice really and a really long post!

My husband accepted a job offer a while ago to move to Illinois, our visas are all in hand(hubby H1B me H4) and we leave in less than a month now! Its always been our dream but its been a long hard struggle!

We're keeping our house in the uk but going to rent it out, just in case we don't like america or it doesn't work out.(I'm a worrier!)

So we've packed up everything that we need to take and we're slowly getting through the rest, I think we're going to just do excess baggage as all that were really taking will only fill a few suitcases extra, don't think we'd fill a container. Then again I'm not sure whether or not to pack light or heavy? I have my sentimental things, i.e. a bits and bobs but I feel like I'm forgetting things as I can easily pack up our lives in a few suitcases!
We don't have any kids as of yet but we are taking our dog, she's dealt with and even comes on the same flight as us, which keeps me happy!

One of my worries is although we have the visas in hand, it doesn't necessary mean we can get through at our point of entry and can still get turned back at immigration, which scares me! Its probably very rare but what happens if it does? And what happens to my dog?!
We've been to america before with no problems but I still like to worry!

I also think my other problem is that the whole move has been taken out of my hands and I didn't have much control over it, the company have arranged a house for us to stay in for a few months, which we can sign a longer lease on if we like it or then move to another if we don't. They've arranged a mobile for hubby, a vehicle, and utilities at the house and then help if we need it if we move. We have our own medical/dental insurance that we will be transferring to an international program that covers us while we stay there, however the company are paying extra money on top of hubby's salary to be used for medical care. The company have practically did everything and I've not did much its still a bit surreal I guess!

I'm also SO nervous! It'll be the first time in my life where I haven't worked and I'm feeling a bit funny relying solely on hubby. I've looked for jobs over there but haven't found any as of yet that will sponsor me. I can't even work for hubbys company as we are in two different fields! Our relocation person thinks it shouldn't be too difficult once I'm over there to find a job and be sponsored as I have a degree but I'm thinking of going to university over there and potential get a phd...

As for travelling, I'm sure I picked this up right but just want to check. Next year its going to be my kid brothers 18th, hubby may or may not get it off we won't know until nearer the time of course, but on the basis he can't come, can I travel outside US to UK without him and be okay to get back in to US?

Sorry for the long post, I just feel so out of control, I have the contact details for the guy dealing with the move with the company, but as its hubbys new company I don't want to bother him as I'm not the employee, silly I know, but the guy is an american and although has dealt with numerous moves hasn't actually moved himself so I'd rather opinions from people who have, and in case I've forgotten silly things expats would miss!
Old Apr 16th 2014, 4:02 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The countdown...

Originally Posted by nymeria187
As for travelling, I'm sure I picked this up right but just want to check. Next year its going to be my kid brothers 18th, hubby may or may not get it off we won't know until nearer the time of course, but on the basis he can't come, can I travel outside US to UK without him and be okay to get back in to US?
Yes.

Rene
Old Apr 16th 2014, 4:08 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

A certain amount of worry is normal and healthy. It's good because it forces one to be thorough and check things carefully.

However, it sounds like you have a great support network with your husband and his employer (who really seem to have their act together).

I would keep on checking things but try to worry less :-) Focus on the positive aspects of this adventure and embrace some of the unknowns that make it exciting!

Good luck and have lots of fun!
Old Apr 16th 2014, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

"We have our own medical/dental insurance that we will be transferring to an international program that covers us while we stay there, however the company are paying extra money on top of hubby's salary to be used for medical care. "

It sounds like you have everything in hand, but the above sounds a bit strange, just make sure the plan covers you as US residents (not visitors), and covers doctors/hospitals that are local to your new location without extra fees. If your husband's employer has a medical plan it might be worthwhile transferring into their plan where you have local points of contact... also you might only be able to do that when you join the company or at certain points of the year, so it would be worth looking into your options straight away.

I understand feeling strange that everything is out of your control, but really it's a good thing, a lot of the things they've arranged for you are hard to get on your own without a credit report, US driver's license etc. They've done you a big favour.

Packing - can you leave a suitcase or two of stuff you might want at a parent or friend's place, and take it back next time you travel? When you go back you'll have been in the US a while and will know how much you need the extra stuff.

We arrived on an H1B/H4. I was happy with a couple of years off, but the greencard process took forever back then (maybe still does) and by the time we got them my skills were pretty dated and I'd kind of skewered my own career. If you want to remain in your field I'd continue looking for an H1 sponsor or do that PhD (which would have a good chance of giving you a network of people who would sponsor you).

Oh and last thing, I wouldn't worry too much about not being let in at the airport. I know you hear stories about it but you have approved H visas, 99% of the time (number made up ) they're just going to smile and say "welcome to America."

Good luck!
Old Apr 16th 2014, 4:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

My husband accepted a job offer a while ago to move to Illinois, our visas are all in hand(hubby H1B me H4) and we leave in less than a month now!
Take it, from last years quota or a not capped position? Other wise, that would be a bit early to move.

The medical insurance sounds like a concern. Will it still be valid if you're resident outside of the UK? Or is it just emergency care? Either way, if you've got to pay up front and get reimbursed, it probably won't help you much.

You won't be finding a job any time soon as this years cap for H1B has been met, so earliest you could apply would be next April, for that following Oct start.

Anyway, welcome to BE and good luck!
Old Apr 16th 2014, 4:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Yes medical can be a bit baffling and it might be worth getting some more concrete info on that.

You won't get turned away and you can travel on your own.

Sensible to keep your house, bloody well wish we had
Old Apr 16th 2014, 5:48 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Sensible to keep your house, bloody well wish we had
Yeah, although renting your UK home isn't a breeze either even assuming you have a good estate agent or manager helping out locally. I found it a significant source of worry

In our case, it worked relatively smoothly for about 5 years at which point we decided to sell the property.

Financially, it proved to be pretty much cash neutral although we did get some tax benefits from the standard depreciation allowance.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

One thing to consider is that if you have capital gains (selling price - expenses - purchase price + expenses) on your home in the UK and you have a green card, you should consider selling it within 3 years. The US has a capital gains exclusion of $500,000 if married filling jointly on your primary residence (lived in the home at least 2 of the past 5 years) otherwise when you sell the home, it will be considered investment property and their isn't any capital gains exclusion.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 7:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malch
.... we did get some tax benefits from the standard depreciation allowance.
Which unless you sold at a loss, are entirely reversed at the point of sale. By holding it beyond three years after you moved out you also lost the opportunity to sell free of capital tax liability, as Michael said above.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 7:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
..you should consider selling it within 3 years. ...
Didn't the UK reduce it down to a much shorter period, meaning capital gains could be due to the inland rev instead?
Old Apr 16th 2014, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

nymeria187 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah we were from last years quota, we needed time to sort as much as we could before we left.
As for the house I have a tenant lined up for a year already which gives us time to decide whether or not we're going to stay, we didn't have time to sell it as we bought it needing work done, which is mostly done now. The missives were concluded hours before we got the job offer which was typical and the market round here has been pretty slow. Either way I'm stuck with the house!
Our medical care covers us as long as we don't have a green card, and covers most things, its pretty much the same cover we have over here, but they only cover a few doctors visits fees a year and a percentage of prescription costs dependant on what drugs it is as well. I'd rather go for the company one as I have researched that some companies won't cover pregnancy until after 12 months which could become a problem in a few years if we decide to switch. It may be that we go over with our own and ask around and see what is best over there. We phoned up to cancel our healthcare and they asked why, which led to their healthcare cover for the US. I'll check again tomorrow I'm just sticking to what I know I guess!
I've also left stuff with my parents which I think I may want, mostly shoes I just feel like I'm not taking enough for a move half way across the world! I think I've packed more for the dog! I'm not taking many clothes as I can buy them out there, I've got fresh bedding as I don't know how I'll feel for going out shopping when we arrive. Clothes wise we're dressing for four seasons, we're used to it!
Also I've always fancied trying my arm at writing a book, if I did, but published it via the UK does that count as working in the US?

Thanks again!
Old Apr 16th 2014, 8:20 pm
in Northern California

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Which unless you sold at a loss, are entirely reversed at the point of sale. By holding it beyond three years after you moved out you also lost the opportunity to sell free of capital tax liability, as Michael said above.
In our case, we didn't pay any taxes on the (small) gain. Those files are buried away so I'm not sure if that was a case of avoidance or evasion :-) I'm pretty sure it was legit but don't recall all of the details.

But I do agree the primary residence rule is a critical issue that folks should consider and plan for.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 9:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Also I've always fancied trying my arm at writing a book, if I did, but published it via the UK does that count as working in the US?
Where the money is paid isn't the problem, it's where the work is carried out.

Saying that, if you had a published book, passive income such as royalties would be fine.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 10:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I'd rather go for the company one as I have researched that some companies won't cover pregnancy until after 12 months which could become a problem in a few years if we decide to switch.
Although the Affordable Care Act (ACA) is not currently fully implemented (some companies don't have to fully implement it for 2 more years) but when it is fully implemented, there shouldn't be any waiting period.