Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Could someone break this down for me?

Could someone break this down for me?

Old Dec 29th 2012, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

JBrindle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Could someone break this down for me?

I currently live in England but I am planning to move to NYC when I'm older.

I work out that I will have around $85,000 per year before taxes in my first few years.

Could someone give me the breakdown of costs for living in NYC? What I would need to spend and how much each thing would be roughly.

Also, where would be the best place to live at first? I don't really want to be far out in the suburbs. I'd like to be close to main NYC.

Thanks so much to anyone that helps me .
Old Dec 29th 2012, 2:23 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Could someone break this down for me?

Originally Posted by JBrindle

I work out that I will have around $85,000 per year before taxes in my first few years.

Could someone give me the breakdown of costs for living in NYC? What I would need to spend and how much each thing would be roughly.

Also, where would be the best place to live at first? I don't really want to be far out in the suburbs. I'd like to be close to main NYC.

What visa are you going to apply for!!
Old Dec 29th 2012, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

JBrindle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
What visa are you going to apply for!!
Well that's the other thing I was going to ask about?
Old Dec 29th 2012, 2:29 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA
Old Dec 29th 2012, 2:32 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I love a good thought experiment in the morning.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I love a good thought experiment in the morning.
how bored does it make me as well!
Old Dec 29th 2012, 2:54 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Folks are asking about the visa because if that isn't possible the rest is just sort of irrelevant. The visa issue stops 99% of the people who want to move to the USA. Take a look at the link provided and if you have a path or questions about the process we can offer some suggestions.

If you are just curious but don't have a realistic chance at a visa, just search the dozens of "moving to New York" threads for some more details. We get this question every month or so and there is some pretty good estimates for folks who have their jobs and visas sorted.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 3:32 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

How old are you now? How old will you be when you want to move? Between now and then, work on improving yourself sufficiently (either education or skill set) to get a visa. Without a prospect for a visa, the rest is irrelevant.

Ian
Old Dec 29th 2012, 3:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE. As the others have said, the visa needs to be your first issue - no point worrying about cost of living in NYC if you've got no chance of getting there anyway.

What do you do? You obviously have a specific role in mind as you mention a salary of $85k. Hopefully you have at least a degree (ideally a masters), the job also requires a degree, and you have several years of experience behind you to stand a chance of convincing a company to go to the hassle and expense of sponsoring your visa.

If you can give a bit more info, then the kind folks here will be happy to point you in the right direction visa wise, and then once they know it's a possibility can also help with your life in NYC questions.

Best of luck.

Old Dec 29th 2012, 4:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

How long is "when I'm older?" If it's 25 years, 85k could be close to the poverty line. If it's 5 years then maybe it would be OK. But any question you have about salary and places to live are pretty much irrelevant until you have a way to live and work in the US.