British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Could my usc step daughter apply for a uk passport (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/could-my-usc-step-daughter-apply-uk-passport-702602/)

jaxslad Jan 27th 2011 4:31 pm

Could my usc step daughter apply for a uk passport

Need some input please on a topic of usc step daughter (13 yrs old) on what is the chances on getting a uk passport through myself and wife.

Details..myself born Uk married & living in the us to USC 7 yrs
usc wife was born in the usa, but the wifes parents was both british citizens & became dual uk/usa before they passed away sometime ago...Im not sure that helps but still i thought ill add that in also
The wife has uk/usa pp
I have UK & P.R status in the U.S..but soon to become dual N-400 in progress as i speak..
I have a usc Born son who also has a uk/us Passports.. via myself & my usc wife..(dual pp holder of us/uk

Now my USC step daughter(13+ yrs) has been speaking lately to maybe in the future to go to college in the uk plus spend time with her uk family's

Kinda strange as the wife and my usc step daughter has more family there in the uk than here in the usa...so we thought maybe it would'nt be a bad idea to ask such things before she the step daughter becomes of age..as most things like this is better to do early rather only to find out...we should have done it before she got to 18 yrs old...

But anyways....we was all having a chat about this the other night and we was wondering if she could get a uk Passport at this time through my details i gave above..

I thought ill ask this before i dive into all this....only to find out the answer is no she cant get a uk pp...

Thanks guys..

Sue Jan 27th 2011 5:00 pm

Re: Could my usc step daughter apply for a uk passport

There's a great page about this subject in the BE wiki here.

Probably the bit you want to look at closely is this part:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Britis...or_my_child.3F

A good person to ask about this is JAJ, I'm sure he will pop up in this thread shortly.

Sue

jaxslad Jan 27th 2011 5:17 pm

Ok..Thanks

Ive read that and sounds like we would have to have lived in the uk for at least 3yrs..to apply
am i reading that correctly?

Sue Jan 27th 2011 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by jaxslad (Post 9133250)
Ok..Thanks

Ive read that and sounds like we would have to have lived in the uk for at least 3yrs..to apply
am i reading that correctly?

That's how I read it too, that her mother would have had to. Hopefully JAJ will drop by and give his thoughts. Sometimes he picks up on something that others have missed.

jaxslad Jan 27th 2011 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Sue (Post 9133260)
That's how I read it too, that her mother would have had to. Hopefully JAJ will drop by and give his thoughts. Sometimes he picks up on something that others have missed.

ok thanks a bunch sue..:thumbup:

avanutria Jan 27th 2011 6:11 pm

Is formally adopting your stepdaughter a possibility? That would make her your child rather than stepchild and might open some additional paths - but I don't know if it would.

MarylandNed Jan 27th 2011 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by jaxslad (Post 9133167)
Need some input please on a topic of usc step daughter (13 yrs old) on what is the chances on getting a uk passport through myself and wife.

Details..myself born Uk married & living in the us to USC 7 yrs
usc wife was born in the usa, but the wifes parents was both british citizens & became dual uk/usa before they passed away sometime ago...Im not sure that helps but still i thought ill add that in also
The wife has uk/usa pp
I have UK & P.R status in the U.S..but soon to become dual N-400 in progress as i speak..
I have a usc Born son who also has a uk/us Passports.. via myself & my usc wife..(dual pp holder of us/uk

Now my USC step daughter(13+ yrs) has been speaking lately to maybe in the future to go to college in the uk plus spend time with her uk family's

Kinda strange as the wife and my usc step daughter has more family there in the uk than here in the usa...so we thought maybe it would'nt be a bad idea to ask such things before she the step daughter becomes of age..as most things like this is better to do early rather only to find out...we should have done it before she got to 18 yrs old...

But anyways....we was all having a chat about this the other night and we was wondering if she could get a uk Passport at this time through my details i gave above..

I thought ill ask this before i dive into all this....only to find out the answer is no she cant get a uk pp...

Thanks guys..

Not by descent since she is the 2nd generation born abroad:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br.../bornoverseas/

However, possibly via adoption through you:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...adoptedabroad/

By the way, there are residency requirements to qualify for domestic tuition fees in the UK. So even if she's a UK citizen, she would have to pay the higher international student fees unless she resides in the UK for 3 years prior to going to university.

jaxslad Jan 27th 2011 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 9133373)
Not by descent since she is the 2nd generation born abroad:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br.../bornoverseas/

However, possibly via adoption through you:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...adoptedabroad/

By the way, there are residency requirements to qualify for domestic tuition fees in the UK. So even if she's a UK citizen, she would have to pay the higher international student fees unless she resides in the UK for 3 years prior to going to university.

adoption? would'nt the Bio father have something to say about that one? he's still about....just about but still..

MarylandNed Jan 27th 2011 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by jaxslad (Post 9133457)
adoption? would'nt the Bio father have something to say about that one? he's still about....just about but still..

You didn't say anything about a biological father before and I didn't know if you had adopted her or not. I was simply stating the options. You asked if there was any chance that she could be a UK citizen through you or your wife. It looks like she's not a UK citizen by descent through your wife (because your stepdaughter is 2nd generation born outside the UK). The only other way I can see for her to gain UK citizenship through you or your wife is through adoption by you.

jaxslad Jan 27th 2011 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 9133482)
You didn't say anything about a biological father before and I didn't know if you had adopted her or not. I was simply stating the options. You asked if there was any chance that she could be a UK citizen through you or your wife. It looks like she's not a UK citizen by descent through your wife (because your stepdaughter is 2nd generation born outside the UK). The only other way I can see for her to gain UK citizenship through you or your wife is through adoption by you.

Im sorry no i did'nt mention it..

we just thought it might be worth looking into, being im a ukc, the usc wife has a uk passport, plus the step daughters grand parents was uks/usc but now passed away.
was thinking all that uk connection through myself/wife and grand parents there would be some hope in getting her a uk pp just in case when shes older she would have that option if need be.

Ok oh well....it was worth a ask i guess.

Thanks guys for ya help.

JAJ Feb 1st 2011 1:43 am

Originally Posted by jaxslad (Post 9133557)
we just thought it might be worth looking into, being im a ukc, the usc wife has a uk passport, plus the step daughters grand parents was uks/usc but now passed away.
was thinking all that uk connection through myself/wife and grand parents there would be some hope in getting her a uk pp just in case when shes older she would have that option if need be.

Probably a variety of long shots, but here are some of the options which MIGHT (not necessarily will) provide her with a pathway:

1. If you adopt her and apply for registration as a British citizen before she is 18. Perhaps not an option now - but might it be sometime before age 18? Usually, though, you wouldn't want to adopt solely for this reason and bear in mind that grant of British citizenship in this situation is discretionary, not entitlement.

2. Any chance either of your wife's UK born parents were born in Northern Ireland?

3. Did your wife ever live in the UK or a British territory?

4. Were your wife's parents in UK government service when she was born?

5. Any plans to move to the UK as a family, while your step-daughter is still a child?

jaxslad Feb 1st 2011 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 9142815)
Probably a variety of long shots, but here are some of the options which MIGHT (not necessarily will) provide her with a pathway:

1. If you adopt her and apply for registration as a British citizen before she is 18. Perhaps not an option now - but might it be sometime before age 18? Usually, though, you wouldn't want to adopt solely for this reason and bear in mind that grant of British citizenship in this situation is discretionary, not entitlement.

2. Any chance either of your wife's UK born parents were born in Northern Ireland?

3. Did your wife ever live in the UK or a British territory?

4. Were your wife's parents in UK government service when she was born?

5. Any plans to move to the UK as a family, while your step-daughter is still a child?

Thank you for your options, you have shown here very interesting..

on looking over all 5 number 4 might be the only slim route as my usc wifes father was in the royal navy, as thats how my usc wifes mother met him as her x hubby was also in the navy...OMG that sounds bad dont it? lmao
anyways...im not 100% sure if my usc wifes bio dad was in the navy at the time of her birth or he was already out of service when the wife was born..

No connection with ireland on the wifes parents side...just wales(mum) dad stoke on trent(England)

Thank you again for your hard work..:thumbup: