Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Could I Lose US Passport by Renewing UK Passport??

Could I Lose US Passport by Renewing UK Passport??

Old Jan 15th 2015, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

smallard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Could I Lose US Passport by Renewing UK Passport??

I was born in the UK and hold a British passport. I moved to the US some 20 years ago and am now a US citizen.

I am now about to renew my UK passport but I see that the process has changed. They now require you to send in a copy of your US passport whereas they did not before.

That's not such a big deal, but my concern is the following words:

"I understand that by voluntarily applying for a British passport, it may result in losing citizenship of another country".

My understanding is that the US does not permit dual nationality - so if I renew my UK passport, am I putting my US citizenship in jeopardy?
Old Jan 15th 2015, 4:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Could I Lose US Passport by Renewing UK Passport??

Originally Posted by smallard View Post
I was born in the UK and hold a British passport. I moved to the US some 20 years ago and am now a US citizen.

I am now about to renew my UK passport but I see that the process has changed. They now require you to send in a copy of your US passport whereas they did not before.

"I understand that by voluntarily applying for a British passport, it may result in losing citizenship of another country".

My understanding is that the US does not permit dual nationality - so if I renew my UK passport, am I putting my US citizenship in jeopardy?
Your understanding is wrong. Many on BE have multiple citizenships and multiple passports and that is 100% ok with the US government.
Old Jan 15th 2015, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Dual Nationality
Old Jan 15th 2015, 4:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

There are a couple of countries where you may automatically lose that citizenship if you apply for another one.

The US and UK are not on that list. It takes forms to be filled out and fees to be paid to lose either of those (short of committing treason).
Old Jan 15th 2015, 6:43 pm
Banned

az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles View Post
There are a couple of countries where you may automatically lose that citizenship if you apply for another one.

The US and UK are not on that list. It takes forms to be filled out and fees to be paid to lose either of those (short of committing treason).
Do you know what these countries are or where to find a list?
Old Jan 15th 2015, 6:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by az2014 View Post
Google?
Old Jan 15th 2015, 10:01 pm
tbm
Forum Regular

tbm is an unknown quantity at this point

One such country is Austria.
Old Jan 15th 2015, 10:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Academic interest or...?
Old Jan 15th 2015, 10:23 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Many countries prohibit or restrict dual nationality (the Netherlands, Denmark) or do not recognise it (Poland, Iran). Neither the UK and the US fall into either of these categories.

Some people laboured under the misapprehension that the US does not allow dual nationality, and indeed some US born citizens who naturalised as a citizen of another country did have their US citizenship withdrawn before the 1970s, but a series of Supreme Court rulings deemed this unconstitutional and their citizenship was later restored.

Boris Johnson is a prominent example of someone who openly holds both US and British citizenship by virtue of being born in New York to British parents.

Boris's dilemma: relinquish his US passport or pay American tax » Spectator Blogs
Old Jan 15th 2015, 10:24 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

They changed it for anti-terrorist reasons but the bit you quote has been there for years and implied renunciation of US citizenship was ruled unconstitutional back around 1976, iirc.
Old Jan 15th 2015, 11:33 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Afroyim v Rusk

I've long found Kawakita v United States to be of interest. Mr. Kawakita claimed that his act of obtaining a Japanese passport was an expatriating act. From what I understand, a fact not mentioned in the published decisions is that during World War II, Japan and the US reached a tacit agreement that persons such as Kawakita were free to leave Japan for the USSR for repatriation to the U.S. I'm given to understand that many of these repatriated dual nationals were involved in MSI. But I've seen no published material on this.

Another interesting series of cases involved one Johann Breyer. Mr. Breyer died last year in a German prison awaiting trial. After winning his long battle to keep his sorry ass in the US, Germany sought and obtained extradition.

Last edited by S Folinsky; Jan 15th 2015 at 11:37 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 1:49 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tbm View Post
One such country is Austria.
In Austria, dual citizenship is restricted but there are a number of situations where a person may legally hold dual Austria/other citizenship and a foreign passport alongside an Austrian one.

There are relatively few countries that absolutely prohibit dual citizenship. Even the majority of countries that restrict dual citizenship allow it in certain situations, such as one of their citizens who acquired another citizenship at birth.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

They have always asked you to send in the passports of any other country for which you hold citizenship, though many people just sent copies. The only difference now is that they have recognized that people don't want to send in their foreign passport so now they only ask for a copy.
Old Jan 17th 2015, 12:02 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel View Post
They have always asked you to send in the passports of any other country for which you hold citizenship, though many people just sent copies. The only difference now is that they have recognized that people don't want to send in their foreign passport so now they only ask for a copy.
Just a photocopy? Or does it have to be notarized or similar?
Old Jan 17th 2015, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

If you read the pages inside your US passport you will see a section on Dual Nationality. Both the US and UK allow dual nationality. I've renewed both my UK and US passports with no problems during the 16 years since I became a US citizen.