British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Could I Lose US Passport by Renewing UK Passport?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/could-i-lose-us-passport-renewing-uk-passport-850826/)

smallard Jan 15th 2015 4:33 pm

Could I Lose US Passport by Renewing UK Passport??

I was born in the UK and hold a British passport. I moved to the US some 20 years ago and am now a US citizen.

I am now about to renew my UK passport but I see that the process has changed. They now require you to send in a copy of your US passport whereas they did not before.

That's not such a big deal, but my concern is the following words:

"I understand that by voluntarily applying for a British passport, it may result in losing citizenship of another country".

My understanding is that the US does not permit dual nationality - so if I renew my UK passport, am I putting my US citizenship in jeopardy?

Michael Jan 15th 2015 4:39 pm

Re: Could I Lose US Passport by Renewing UK Passport??

Originally Posted by smallard (Post 11534688)
I was born in the UK and hold a British passport. I moved to the US some 20 years ago and am now a US citizen.

I am now about to renew my UK passport but I see that the process has changed. They now require you to send in a copy of your US passport whereas they did not before.

"I understand that by voluntarily applying for a British passport, it may result in losing citizenship of another country".

My understanding is that the US does not permit dual nationality - so if I renew my UK passport, am I putting my US citizenship in jeopardy?

Your understanding is wrong. Many on BE have multiple citizenships and multiple passports and that is 100% ok with the US government.

Hotscot Jan 15th 2015 4:49 pm

Dual Nationality

sir_eccles Jan 15th 2015 4:59 pm

There are a couple of countries where you may automatically lose that citizenship if you apply for another one.

The US and UK are not on that list. It takes forms to be filled out and fees to be paid to lose either of those (short of committing treason).

az2014 Jan 15th 2015 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 11534721)
There are a couple of countries where you may automatically lose that citizenship if you apply for another one.

The US and UK are not on that list. It takes forms to be filled out and fees to be paid to lose either of those (short of committing treason).

Do you know what these countries are or where to find a list?

sir_eccles Jan 15th 2015 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by az2014 (Post 11534835)

Google?

tbm Jan 15th 2015 10:01 pm

One such country is Austria.

Hotscot Jan 15th 2015 10:17 pm

Academic interest or...?

BritInParis Jan 15th 2015 10:23 pm

Many countries prohibit or restrict dual nationality (the Netherlands, Denmark) or do not recognise it (Poland, Iran). Neither the UK and the US fall into either of these categories.

Some people laboured under the misapprehension that the US does not allow dual nationality, and indeed some US born citizens who naturalised as a citizen of another country did have their US citizenship withdrawn before the 1970s, but a series of Supreme Court rulings deemed this unconstitutional and their citizenship was later restored.

Boris Johnson is a prominent example of someone who openly holds both US and British citizenship by virtue of being born in New York to British parents.

Boris's dilemma: relinquish his US passport or pay American tax ยป Spectator Blogs

Steve_ Jan 15th 2015 10:24 pm

They changed it for anti-terrorist reasons but the bit you quote has been there for years and implied renunciation of US citizenship was ruled unconstitutional back around 1976, iirc.

S Folinsky Jan 15th 2015 11:33 pm

Afroyim v Rusk

I've long found Kawakita v United States to be of interest. Mr. Kawakita claimed that his act of obtaining a Japanese passport was an expatriating act. From what I understand, a fact not mentioned in the published decisions is that during World War II, Japan and the US reached a tacit agreement that persons such as Kawakita were free to leave Japan for the USSR for repatriation to the U.S. I'm given to understand that many of these repatriated dual nationals were involved in MSI. But I've seen no published material on this.

Another interesting series of cases involved one Johann Breyer. Mr. Breyer died last year in a German prison awaiting trial. After winning his long battle to keep his sorry ass in the US, Germany sought and obtained extradition.

JAJ Jan 16th 2015 1:49 am

Originally Posted by tbm (Post 11534999)
One such country is Austria.

In Austria, dual citizenship is restricted but there are a number of situations where a person may legally hold dual Austria/other citizenship and a foreign passport alongside an Austrian one.

There are relatively few countries that absolutely prohibit dual citizenship. Even the majority of countries that restrict dual citizenship allow it in certain situations, such as one of their citizens who acquired another citizenship at birth.

LondonSquirrel Jan 16th 2015 4:54 pm

They have always asked you to send in the passports of any other country for which you hold citizenship, though many people just sent copies. The only difference now is that they have recognized that people don't want to send in their foreign passport so now they only ask for a copy.

robin1234 Jan 17th 2015 12:02 am

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel (Post 11535899)
They have always asked you to send in the passports of any other country for which you hold citizenship, though many people just sent copies. The only difference now is that they have recognized that people don't want to send in their foreign passport so now they only ask for a copy.

Just a photocopy? Or does it have to be notarized or similar?

durham_lad Jan 17th 2015 3:22 am

If you read the pages inside your US passport you will see a section on Dual Nationality. Both the US and UK allow dual nationality. I've renewed both my UK and US passports with no problems during the 16 years since I became a US citizen.