Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Could I live in the US?

Could I live in the US?

Old Jun 29th 2013, 11:51 pm
Just Joined

Sallyj123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Could I live in the US?

I am 53 my husband is 52 we have a 16 year old son with high functioning autism, we brought a house in Georgia 6 months ago which is currently rented out. We have been thinking about moving to the US permenantly. My concerns are Heath care how much would that cost approximately, I would be looking to start my own business, my husband would be retired. Is there a way to do this? I did an online quote for Heath care and it came up at £16,000 for one year. That cost would be prohibative. Can anybody give me any experiences they have had and what you did. Many thanks

Last edited by Sallyj123; Jun 30th 2013 at 12:05 am.
Old Jun 29th 2013, 11:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Could I live in the US?

Sally...the first things people will want to know is
1. What visa will you qualify for?
2. What kind of business could you open and how many hundreds of thousands of dollars would you invest?
3. How many U.S. employees will it have?
4. Where would you consider moving to?
5. What's your timescale?

The cost of the healthcare quote you gave is very reasonable in some places, although costs are in a state of flux at the moment, but if you consider that prohibitive you may not be able to afford a move in the first place.

More forum peeps will chime in soon.
Old Jun 30th 2013, 1:04 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sallyj123
I am 53 my husband is 52 we have a 16 year old son with high functioning autism, we brought a house in Georgia 6 months ago which is currently rented out. We have been thinking about moving to the US permenantly. My concerns are Heath care how much would that cost approximately, I would be looking to start my own business, my husband would be retired. Is there a way to do this? I did an online quote for Heath care and it came up at £16,000 for one year. That cost would be prohibative. Can anybody give me any experiences they have had and what you did. Many thanks
Hi Sally,

Welcome to BE!!

I would suggest that you start here: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

Which is an excellent wiki page written by members of BE that will help give you an idea of the ways in which it may be possible to live and work in the US. That way you can see if any of it applies to you, and if so, you will have more of an idea of what type of questions you want to ask other members.
Old Jun 30th 2013, 1:56 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
...... The cost of the healthcare quote you gave is very reasonable in some places, although costs are in a state of flux at the moment, but if you consider that prohibitive you may not be able to afford a move in the first place. ....
For a couple in their 50s and a child with known issues that may require ongoing medical attention, $1,300/mth seems to be in the right ball park. There are ways to reduce the insurance cost, sometimes significantly, but that involves picking up (a lot) more of the regular, low level, and on-going medical costs (see "high deductible" insurance). E.g. you pick up the first $5,000 (or more) of all medical costs in the year, before insurance pays anything.

I am intrigued as to why you bought the house in Georgia, was it only intended as an investment? Did you get any advice from anyone before you bought it, and if so who?

Generally speaking, and assuming that you can (even) get a visa to live in the US (or you or your spouse is a USC), given that you have a son with a disability, I would recommend that you think VERY hard before relocating to the US. The social safety net in the US is very weak compared to the UK, weak to the point of not existing for many people that need assistance and who would get assistance in the UK. In the US, you are commonly on your own, or left to get help from charities, which can be very hit or miss. In short, relocating to the US might condemn your son to a very uncertain future.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 30th 2013 at 2:50 am.
Old Jun 30th 2013, 2:30 am
Just Joined

Sallyj123 is an unknown quantity at this point

The house I have in Georgia is an investment property, and I am extremly pleased with it, my tennants who will be the house for about 3 years, an american lady with an english husband, were also my tennants when they lived in the uk
Old Jun 30th 2013, 3:20 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

As others are mentioning, the visa is going to be your biggest problem. It's likely impossible in less you have a significant amount of money to invest. Have you looked through the list of possible visas? Any of them look promising?

Should you get through that hurdle, you'll need to seriously crunch some numbers on health insurance as that could cripple you financially if you are not properly protected.
Old Jun 30th 2013, 3:48 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
..... It's likely impossible in less you have a significant amount of money to invest. .....
Note: investments in already constructed residential real estate don't count under any circumstances.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

GeorgeLekko is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you tried out in some other hospitals? I think you can get something less than the cost you quoted.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 12:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

And the most pointless post of the day goes to...
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by GeorgeLekko
Have you tried out in some other hospitals? I think you can get something less than the cost you quoted.
What a weird first post!
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 1:18 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeorgeLekko

Ahhh why????????????????????

To the OP

Healthcare can and most likely bankrupt you and you have to note that at age 16 your son will have only a limited time to live in the US. Note sure if it is 18 or 21 that requires him to either have a visa of his own to remain in the US or for you and your and him to find a way to become permanent residents. Is it really worth it to your family to come to the US to live?
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 1:34 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
What a weird first post!
Troll????? in any case the OP hasn't been back for a month, so may have left us..