Reload this Page >

Costs for Insulin?

Costs for Insulin?

Old Mar 16th 2014, 7:21 am
Just Joined

BikerBear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Costs for Insulin?

Hi Folks,

My spouse is insulin-dependent diabetic. As part of our due diligence for moving to the States, we're trying to find out what people with the same requirement spend (on average) for their insulin (NovoRapid & Levemir)?

I'm making the assumption that medical insurance would most likely not cover the cost of the insulin, but would have to purchase it as part of a top-up premium? Or, even out right?

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 16th 2014, 12:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Costs for Insulin?

It all depends on the insurance. Some cover it completely, some you'd pay the prescription co-pay which could be anything from $5-50.

Some pharmacies sell certain generic drugs for $5-10 for a 30-90 day supply.

Diabetic costs have come up a fair bit though, so you might get lucky finding some threads if the search is working again.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 1:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Use the following link to determine the retail price for those drugs. I believe NovoRapid is marketed as Novolog in the US. Unfortunately both are brand name drugs (no generic version) so will be expensive.

GoodRx
Old Mar 16th 2014, 2:04 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

As Bob said it will depend on your insurance, if only there was one price and you knew what to expect!

We would be paying the full price until our deductible was met and then 20% until our out of pocket maximum was met and then nothing. But our deductible is $1500 per person and our out of pocket max is $10,000.

I have paid $7 for a generic antibiotic and $130 for a brand name nasal spray and each time went into the transaction blind - just handed over my debit card and braced myself.

Our prescription plan pushes getting your regular medication by mail to save costs but we don't have anything regular so can't tell you if the savings are worth much.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 2:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz View Post
As Bob said it will depend on your insurance, if only there was one price and you knew what to expect!

We would be paying the full price until our deductible was met and then 20% until our out of pocket maximum was met and then nothing. But our deductible is $1500 per person and our out of pocket max is $10,000.

I have paid $7 for a generic antibiotic and $130 for a brand name nasal spray
and each time went into the transaction blind - just handed over my debit card and braced myself.

Our prescription plan pushes getting your regular medication by mail to save costs but we don't have anything regular so can't tell you if the savings are worth much.
I have had that problem as well. Until we have met our deductible (last year was first time because I had surgery) all of our prescriptions are charged at whatever rate. I take one tablet that is free and yet I have another that I just recently filled this new year and the pharmacist said "you do realize how much this costs, right?" Thinking it was going to be what it was the last time, I said "well sure" Yeah, it was $440, with discounts! Thankfully we have an HSA and I paid for it that way, but omg!
Old Mar 16th 2014, 4:11 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa View Post
I have had that problem as well. Until we have met our deductible (last year was first time because I had surgery) all of our prescriptions are charged at whatever rate. I take one tablet that is free and yet I have another that I just recently filled this new year and the pharmacist said "you do realize how much this costs, right?" Thinking it was going to be what it was the last time, I said "well sure" Yeah, it was $440, with discounts! Thankfully we have an HSA and I paid for it that way, but omg!
$440!!! that's a whopper AmerLisa.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 4:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz View Post
$440!!! that's a whopper AmerLisa.
Yes it was.....
Old Mar 16th 2014, 7:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

As said, the insurance you get will dictate what the price is. NovoRapid is called Novolog here, both that and Levemir run around the $120 a vial mark, $200 per box of pens, retail price. You may also find that it would be cheaper to switch brands depending on insurance. Humalog and Apidra for the NovoRapid and Lantus for the Levemir.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 5:46 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BikerBear View Post
Hi Folks,

My spouse is insulin-dependent diabetic. As part of our due diligence for moving to the States, we're trying to find out what people with the same requirement spend (on average) for their insulin (NovoRapid & Levemir)?

I'm making the assumption that medical insurance would most likely not cover the cost of the insulin, but would have to purchase it as part of a top-up premium? Or, even out right?
You would have to get a plan under the ACA from the sounds of it, at least to begin with, so go and have a look at www.healthcare.gov

Over the counter prices are over $100 for a 10ml vial. One touch test strips are also around $120 for 100 but Wal-Mart has their own brand "ReliOn" meter and the strips for those are $9 for 50.

But health insurance plans do usually cover diabetic supplies (at least to some extent) and you can't be denied for pre-existing conditions anymore.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 5:35 am
Just Joined

BikerBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Steve, I'll check out the healthcare website.

We just want to get some sort of estimate of what this could potentially cost us..... so that should provide some sort of barometer.

Does anyone know if the healthcare.gov provides premiums for insurance that will actually pay out if required???

Many thanks again!
Old Mar 18th 2014, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

As other have said, it depends on your insurance. My doctor just put me on injections, I get this Byetta pen with premeasured doses. My insurance covers it, with a $25 deductible for the pen (60 doses), and a $25 deductible for a box of needles.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

limeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud of

I use Lantus and Humalog Solostar pens. I use a mail-in pharmacy that gives me 3 months at a time (usually you end up paying 2 months for the 3 month supply) I also have a $150 deductible on Brand drugs (insulin, needles, syringes always seem to be Brand). So if I were to order now, since I've not paid my $150 deductible, my costs would be:

Humalog $220
Lantus $220
Needles for the pens - $125.44

(Notice how the needles for the pens is a separate prescrption) My next 3 month order should be less since I now have paid my $150 deductible.

As an FYI I have United Healthcare HMO, I've always been told that HMOs are better for people with chronic ongoing conditions as many of the extras always seem to be covered 100%!

HTH

Dawn
Old Mar 18th 2014, 5:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by limeynus View Post
Needles for the pens - $125.44
Or you could get some samples from your doctor and reuse the same one for months!
Old Mar 18th 2014, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

limeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts View Post
Or you could get some samples from your doctor and reuse the same one for months!
That cost is for 300 needles,(100 a month) supposedly the needles are one-use only - although I do stretch them out. Trying to get samples is like trying to get blood out of a stone, I'm always asking for samples but rarely do I get any!!

But good point, and I will keep trying!
Old Mar 18th 2014, 6:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think a box if 100 lasted me over 2 years and was still about 2/3 full when I stopped using pens.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.