Reload this Page >

Costs for Health Insurance when we move to US

Costs for Health Insurance when we move to US

Old Feb 7th 2005, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

fishyfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Costs for Health Insurance when we move to US

Hi guys,

My wife (UK) and I (US) have stated the immigration visa process to move from the UK to the states. As I've lived over here for the last 10 years I haven't had to worry too much about the cost of health insurance and I'm afraid I've lost touch with how much it might cost us.

I'm 35 and she's 31 with no kids and no smokers.

I'm hoping someone on the forum is in a similar circumstance and can give us a rough idea of how much we ought to budget each month for health and dental.

I don't expect that either of our jobs initially will include any type of cover so we better start saving.

Also, does anyone have any expiences with having to declare exisiting medical conditions? Do they take our word for it when we apply for insurance or will they check our NHS medical records? I've suffered from an ibs type condition (something they class over here as chronic condition i.e. one that won't ever go away and an insurance company would probably flag as being expensive to insure against) in the past but it has mostly passed so I'm not exacly certain how explicit I'll need to be in my application.

Any similar experiences?

-fishyfish
Old Feb 7th 2005, 12:42 am
Franklin

Default Re: Costs for Health Insurance when we move to US

Originally Posted by fishyfish
Hi guys,

My wife (UK) and I (US) have stated the immigration visa process to move from the UK to the states. As I've lived over here for the last 10 years I haven't had to worry too much about the cost of health insurance and I'm afraid I've lost touch with how much it might cost us.

I'm 35 and she's 31 with no kids and no smokers.

I'm hoping someone on the forum is in a similar circumstance and can give us a rough idea of how much we ought to budget each month for health and dental.

I don't expect that either of our jobs initially will include any type of cover so we better start saving.

Also, does anyone have any expiences with having to declare exisiting medical conditions? Do they take our word for it when we apply for insurance or will they check our NHS medical records? I've suffered from an ibs type condition (something they class over here as chronic condition i.e. one that won't ever go away and an insurance company would probably flag as being expensive to insure against) in the past but it has mostly passed so I'm not exacly certain how explicit I'll need to be in my application.

Any similar experiences?

-fishyfish
You might want to PM Lairdside ... Lairdside has a lot of knowledge about health benefit entitlement in federal jobs ... Lairdside works for the US post office and apparently their benefits system is pretty hot for whole families and on information and belief previous conditions do not always limit entitlement. I am not a medic, but on information and belief IBS is hardly a serious previous condition. But if you are asked what previous conditions you have, then you should reveal them. You are not going to get any advice here to hold back on such information.

Meanwhile, good luck on your move!

Last edited by Franklin; Feb 7th 2005 at 12:50 am.

Old Feb 7th 2005, 12:59 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Also, does anyone have any expiences with having to declare exisiting medical conditions?
I came over with two pre existing conditions, both of which need ongoing maintenance and one of which needs major surgery. Obviously all insurance co's are different, but mine told me that the pre existing clause applied to ones that had been treated *and* claimed for with another insurance company.

As my treatment had been under the NHS and privately in Spain they weren't at all bothered.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 1:02 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sibsie
I came over with two pre existing conditions, both of which need ongoing maintenance and one of which needs major surgery. Obviously all insurance co's are different, but mine told me that the pre existing clause applied to ones that had been treated *and* claimed for with another insurance company.

As my treatment had been under the NHS and privately in Spain they weren't at all bothered.
I too came over with a pre-exisiting condition. I got insurance too.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 1:49 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

600 - 800 USD a month total for both oh you

this comes out of pre tax income

Manc might give you a better idea of premium costs
Old Feb 7th 2005, 6:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
600 - 800 USD a month total for both oh you

this comes out of pre tax income

Manc might give you a better idea of premium costs
also depends where you will be going and the extent of cover you buy.

and then there are the co-pays and exclusions and limitations.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 11:51 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Costs for Health Insurance when we move to US

My friend is self-employed so she doesn't get the benefit of group insurance plans with large employers.

Her insurance coverage costs $300 *per week* to cover herself and two children. Her husband is a stay-at-home dad and he has no health coverage whatsoever. If he is likely to become quite ill eg. cancer, he will return to his native Australia for medical treatment.....
Old Feb 16th 2005, 12:58 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I just ran you this quote with PPOm via Fortis Health.

$6 million lifetime payout
80/20
Maximum out of pocket yearly expenses $3,500.
$500 annual deductible on Rx, then 80/20 (50/50 non-generic)

with a $500 deductible - $233.17 per month
with a $1000 ded - $181.08 per month

This is with vision / dental, but no maternity protection (so don't knock her up eh?).
With the maternity rider, it would cost $520 per month with a $500 annual deductible.

but it gives you a rough idea.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

fishyfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, that was really kind of you. Thanks for taking an interest. I figured it would be a bit more expensive than that. Actually a lot more.

So what would your advice be. When we move to the states (most likely in the fall) how do I go about shopping for health insurance? Is it like shopping for car insuarance and getting out a phone book and getting quotes or are there only a couple of companies to choose from? Are there such thing as health insurance brokers who find you the best deal and take their cut from whatever company you choose?

That was a big differnec with the maternity cover. Glad we don't have plans for kids! I guess if we did couldn't claim the costs!

Thanks for being so helpful.

All the best,
jason

--------------
Originally Posted by Manc
I just ran you this quote with PPOm via Fortis Health.

$6 million lifetime payout
80/20
Maximum out of pocket yearly expenses $3,500.
$500 annual deductible on Rx, then 80/20 (50/50 non-generic)

with a $500 deductible - $233.17 per month
with a $1000 ded - $181.08 per month

This is with vision / dental, but no maternity protection (so don't knock her up eh?).
With the maternity rider, it would cost $520 per month with a $500 annual deductible.

but it gives you a rough idea.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 7:39 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that was really kind of you. Thanks for taking an interest. I figured it would be a bit more expensive than that. Actually a lot more.

So what would your advice be. When we move to the states (most likely in the fall) how do I go about shopping for health insurance? Is it like shopping for car insuarance and getting out a phone book and getting quotes or are there only a couple of companies to choose from? Are there such thing as health insurance brokers who find you the best deal and take their cut from whatever company you choose?

That was a big differnec with the maternity cover. Glad we don't have plans for kids! I guess if we did couldn't claim the costs!

Thanks for being so helpful.

All the best,
jason

--------------
In theory, it's not the health insurance that costs the big bucks.
It's if you get a serious illness the deductibles, co-pays and out of pocket expenses that soon mount up.

The plan I showed you was for a Preferred Provider system Value Plan.

In addition to this I would also advise you get disability insurance (to pay your wages should you get hurt outside work) and a hospital indemnity policy (to help pay deductibles etc)
both are relatively cheap all things considered.

And yes, it really is as simple as walking into any insurance broker/agency and seeing what they can do for you.

I don't want to blow my own trumpet, but the plan I quoted was a typical plan offered via State Farm agents.