Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Costs of health care - how much for 3 stitches?

Costs of health care - how much for 3 stitches?

Old Mar 3rd 2009, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Costs of health care - how much for 3 stitches?

So 5 year old son was messing around about a month ago and managed to bang his head on the side of the fireplace resulting in a nice shiner, an egg, 3 stitches and 1/2 hour of time in the ER.

We got a letter from the hospital saying that they had billed our insurance for $475. Ok not so bad I thought.

Yesterday we got another bill, from the doctor, for $2504. Now the doctor attended for all of about 20 seconds, there was no x-ray and a nurse did the stitching! The doctor just looked at him, asked a couple of questions and instructed the nurse.

I think this is a totally unreasonable amount of money for the services rendered. Even with our most expensive company provided health plan, we are on the hook for 20% of this, and I am pissed off. God the health care here drives me crazy, it is so inefficient and bureaucratic.

Anyone have any ideas how I can protest this, I think they are trying to pull a fast one?

Thanks for letting me vent!

- Tim
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 2:30 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Costs of health care - how much for 3 stitches?

You always get billed seperatly for the hospital, and the doctor and also for x-ray services. It sucks, as you never can tell what the costs will be.
We went to the ER when Ds had fallen on his elbow playing hacky sac. One x-ray and one doctor later, it was too swollen inside to see if it was broken. So no treatment, just a sling, and a bill a month later for close to $2,000 that was doc/x-ray/hospital and we had insurance.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 2:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Call up the hospital and ask for a breakdown of the charge. It could be as simple as they used the wrong code on their billing system. I had a claim for $900 rejected after I'd seen a resident in the hospital. Turned out they had accidentally billed it as in patient instead of out patient. The re-bill was for a little under $200 and was paid in full.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

even by US standards that sounds a lot to me...DS's xray for possible broken finger only amounted to $640
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 3:22 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

You can request to have an audit done on the bill.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Call up the hospital and ask for a breakdown of the charge. It could be as simple as they used the wrong code on their billing system. I had a claim for $900 rejected after I'd seen a resident in the hospital. Turned out they had accidentally billed it as in patient instead of out patient. The re-bill was for a little under $200 and was paid in full.
oh the in-patient, out-patient scam. Been there, done that! Bloody amazing. I check every bill I get. I dont have out of pocket expenses persay anymore since the township has now given us a credit card with $4000 which is our deductable. But I still want to know what is going where!!
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 4:12 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain
It's legalized theft.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 4:14 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

When my dog got ran over he had X-rays, which then discovered a cracked hip as well as his hip not being formed correctly so he had to do surgery to make the joint deeper. Grand total was $150. I would imagine x-raying a person is a bit easier than a dog so not sure why the cost is so much more. If I ever get ran over I'm off to the vet.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

Dodgykeeps will become famous soon enoughDodgykeeps will become famous soon enough

So 5 year old son was messing around about a month ago and managed to bang his head on the side of the fireplace resulting in a nice shiner, an egg, 3 stitches and 1/2 hour of time in the ER.
My son did the same thing when we were in Florida a couple of years ago - we took him to a walk-in clinic (as this was before we moved over here) and they charged $240 for exactly what you described there. Got most of it back through our travel insurance

I think you've been fleeced!
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the world of medical billing. Lying deceitful disgrace of an industry, the primary aim of which is to cause as much confusion as possible in order to maximise the lining of their own pockets.

What will most likely be the case with your bill I'd say is that the insurance will dispute it with some mythical "Amount charged exceeds limit for procedure" deal, and how much they will pay. Then the doctor will send you a new adjusted bill for the "correct" amount.

It truly turns my stomach the way they all go about business. I also think its really stupid the amount of contradictory statements you endlessly receive....but thats all part of the game mentioned above - keep everyone guessing and confused, maximise profit.

The whole industry is one giant legalized pyramid multi level marketing scheme.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Welcome to the world of medical billing. Lying deceitful disgrace of an industry, the primary aim of which is to cause as much confusion as possible in order to maximise the lining of their own pockets.
Most of the time that isn't the case. If you see what medical billers have to deal from the government, from their employers, from the insurance companies and from insurance gateways, with you may start to see why things get messed up from time to time. There is a reason why they have degrees in medical billing and coding.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 5:17 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Don't talk to me about errors and misleading info in relation to medical coding.:curse:
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 5:27 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the time that isn't the case.
My experience has been the opposite.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

We got a letter from the hospital saying that they had billed our insurance for $475. Ok not so bad I thought.

Yesterday we got another bill, from the doctor, for $2504. Now the doctor attended for all of about 20 seconds, there was no x-ray and a nurse did the stitching! The doctor just looked at him, asked a couple of questions and instructed the nurse.

I think this is a totally unreasonable amount of money for the services rendered. Even with our most expensive company provided health plan, we are on the hook for 20% of this, and I am pissed off. God the health care here drives me crazy, it is so inefficient and bureaucratic.

Anyone have any ideas how I can protest this, I think they are trying to pull a fast one?

- Tim
that's waaaaay more than we were billed for similar thing/time in the ER with our child, I would query it.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
not sure why the cost is so much more.
In part it is because you are paying for the people who use ER as a doctors office and who can't afford to pay the bill.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.