Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Costco or Sams Club?

Wikiposts

Costco or Sams Club?

Old Oct 5th 2005, 8:01 am

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future
Default Re: Costco or Sams Club?

Originally Posted by NJ_Dave
More importantly, how does a thread about wholesalers end up being about politics? Is it a slow news day, or is this just the next thing on your long list of gripes?
Nicely done Dave, you scared 'em off!
Old Oct 5th 2005, 8:10 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britdrinker
Snowbunny may know more about that.
Yes, they call me, and I tell them to ***** off.

They have said they will not build a Wal-Mart in a community that does not want one, and we definitely DO NOT want one anywhere near us. They called again just the other day and I said, gee, nothing has changed.

(I am involved, marginally, in local politics.)
Old Oct 5th 2005, 8:20 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Because I'm an asshole and the right-wing capitalist pig side of me is all about me, I don't care that much about the non-union approach of wal mart.

maybe the fact that i haven't been around to see the death of small shops in my area is why i don't give a crap

what i do like is that walmart has given competition to my shitty local supermarket - kroger.

so now I have a nice clean new walmart neighbourhood market 2 mins drive at the end of my street

things i don't like is that the stuff they sell seems to be targeted at a specific demographic/racial profile. i.e. there is a whole wall of fried chicken in freezers

what i will also say about employment it that I am sure that for some of the new employees, this has been their first occupation other than sitting on a porch whilst on welfare [flame suit: ON]
Old Oct 5th 2005, 8:26 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
maybe the fact that i haven't been around to see the death of small shops in my area is why i don't give a crap
There are no more mom-and-pop shops in the small towns around here due to Wal-Mart. Bit hard to be an entrepreneur if you're competing with a monolith. If Kroger can't give Wal-Mart a run for their money, then who can?

I've watched the death of small shops and it's painful. I *****ing hate going to Wal-Mart (so I don't), and I'm very happy that I live in a city that has dedicated itself to favouring local businesses over "big box" businesses because the latter pay their staff less and put less back into the local economy.

Wal-Mart also censors the music it sells by editing CDs to take out offensive language. However, they do not warn a customer that they are getting the "family friendly" version. Then they sell guns two aisles over from the CDs.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 9:02 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Because I'm an asshole...
Perhaps you can explain to the neocon twins why Wal-Mart isn't any good for them in the long run, then? They'll probably take it better from you than from me.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
We just got Sams Club cards after being with Costco for the last two years. Haven't had time to go in yet, so whats the difference if any?
Well, I use both and I find that the prices will vary on many of the same items. In the two I shop at I find things like water, toilet rolls etc are cheaper in Sams Club, sometimes by as much as $1 and that can make a big difference over time.

But, I prefer the quality of the meat at Costco to the meat at Sams, I prefer Costco's Pizza's and they tend to have better cheese than Sams.

If I am going to purchase something big, I generally look at both stores before buying and go with whoever has the best deal.

I stick with both memberships as both stores have enough to offer to make the memberships worthwhile in my opinion but there are six of us in our house, so I do a lot of shopping
Old Oct 5th 2005, 9:34 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NJ_Dave
More importantly, how does a thread about wholesalers end up being about politics? Is it a slow news day, or is this just the next thing on your long list of gripes?

Some care about the world they live in, some don't! Can't help that.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 9:47 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Perhaps you can explain to the neocon twins why Wal-Mart isn't any good for them in the long run, then? They'll probably take it better from you than from me.

well the way i see it it have several choices/thoughts on the matter

wal-mart enables poor people to eke out an existence by providing the ability to subsist on a very small amount of money whilst still enabling the ability to buy crack/beer/cigarettes/whiskey with their minimum wage salary/welfare.

wal-mart also enables people to fill up their houses with cheap shit made in china, causing two problems. it ****s up the trade deficit. it helps twatty brits on holiday perpetuate the myth that 'everything in america is cheap'

i like competition - competition like in the UK where you have a number of companies fighting for supremacy - e.g. tescos/sainsburys/asda/morrisons
wal-mart style competition will probably result in the closure of my three local krogers over the next 5 years.

this works at two levels - poor people in my area (white trash & afro americans) love walmart for cheapness. people like me who hate kroger because their produce is poor quality, rotten and gross will go to wal-mart becasue of the higher turnover and subsequent freshness of food.

in the short term krogers down-fall is corporate complcency in providing a good experience and quality products. over the long terms, wal-marts pricinig will gradually strangle them by reducing trade

when it gets to a certain point, wal-mart will have a virtual monopoly. with that level of power people start to lose options/choices and then can be further exploited, both as customers and employees.

even companies like KB toys and toys 'r' us are living under the continual threat of bankruptcy

Target is only doing well becuase their stores concentrate on providing a more pleasant experience - something that much of the mass market does not care about but is keeping them going well right now

however, bottom line is that as far as food (and only food) I continue to go to walmart as it is the most convenient and highest quality grocery store locally, and Kroger have not stepped upto the plate
Old Oct 5th 2005, 9:55 am
Septicity

well the way i see it it have several choices/thoughts on the matter...
Think you summed it up wonderfully. Thank you. Hope the twins were both awake and concentrating.

To your excellent points, I might add the fact that we basically pay for WalMart employees' healthcare, food stamps and general assistance through our taxes since their own company refuses to pay them a living wage.

I too believe in the free market and competition making everything better for everybody. But even though it has been shown to produce the best results, it is not an exact and perfect science. And, regardless, that is not what we have with WalMart, anymore.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=BritGuyTN]

it helps twatty brits on holiday perpetuate the myth that 'everything in america is cheap'

Everything in America is cheapER - and its not a myth, the vast majority of things over here are cheaper than in the UK - I say majority as I know there are exceptions - this is largely due to the exchange rate.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 3:45 pm

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Wal-Mart also censors the music it sells by editing CDs to take out offensive language. However, they do not warn a customer that they are getting the "family friendly" version. Then they sell guns two aisles over from the CDs.
I agree that selling edited CDs is kind of goofy, since no one makes you by the darn things, but you make it sound like selling shotguns and hunting rifles is like they have crack for sale. The majority of people buy those and use them responcibly for target shooting and hunting or for keeping some lowlife from robbing their home or worse.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 4:18 pm
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit

Sam's Club, yes.
Costco, I don't think so!

Besides, they have different political allegiances: Costco is blue and Wally World (with Sam's Club) is staunchly red.
The explains why the book section at the local Sam's is full of books with titles like Why All Liberals Are Evil and Far-Right Conservatism For Dummies .
Old Oct 5th 2005, 4:23 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by dgsyd1
The explains why the book section at the local Sam's is full of books with titles like Why All Liberals Are Evil and Far-Right Conservatism For Dummies .
Yes -- they still sell books at the moment before one of them remembers the best thing to do is burn them. Wouldn't want people thinking, would we?
Old Oct 5th 2005, 4:50 pm
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Call me shallow but I got a great deal on my huge plasma tv in
Sams....and the beers are cheap.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 4:53 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by evoal2003
Call me shallow but I got a great deal on my huge plasma tv in
Sams....and the beers are cheap.

Shallow...but honest!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.