Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Costco or Sams Club?

Wikiposts

Costco or Sams Club?

Old Oct 5th 2005, 7:02 am

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future
Default Re: Costco or Sams Club?

Costco is a publicly-traded company based out of the Seattle area.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 7:04 am

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

http://www.hipmama.com/node/9271

Very interesting article!
Old Oct 5th 2005, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celsius
Shouldn't you have thought about this before you bought the membership or can you get a refund within a fixed period?
For $30 bucks, we thought what the hell. We may even renew our Costco cards in November.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

Britdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud of

It's not that easy, especially in semi-rural areas. By the time Wal-Mart has closed down all the 'competition', there's nowhere else to go and work. Wal-Mart may represent the biggest bang for the buck, but it's at the expense of suppliers (who have to cut costs and increase quality constantly to avoid losing their contract) and poorly paid employees, who earn minimum wage and aren't offered affordable health insurance.

Here in liberal Austin a couple of Wal-Marts have not been allowed to open due to the forecast negative impact on the local watershed. Snowbunny may know more about that.

Originally Posted by Pigtails
Then work somewhere else for gawd's sake. Sheesh!
Old Oct 5th 2005, 7:15 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.hipmama.com/node/9271

Very interesting article!

It's about being fleeced by the pharmaceutical companies, not about Wally World fleecing America.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by fatbrit

It's about being fleeced by the pharmaceutical companies, not about Wally World fleecing America.

Have you seen the title of the thread my dear? If I was deciding between the two, this article would swing my vote.

Now stop trying to pick a fight. Be a good boy for once.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 7:23 am

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Britdrinker
It's not that easy, especially in semi-rural areas. By the time Wal-Mart has closed down all the 'competition', there's nowhere else to go and work. Wal-Mart may represent the biggest bang for the buck, but it's at the expense of suppliers (who have to cut costs and increase quality constantly to avoid losing their contract) and poorly paid employees, who earn minimum wage and aren't offered affordable health insurance.

Here in liberal Austin a couple of Wal-Marts have not been allowed to open due to the forecast negative impact on the local watershed. Snowbunny may know more about that.
I can't see how people are going to do worse if Wal-Mart comes to town and they lose their job at Bob's Hardware. You do have the opportunity to move up the ladder at Wal-Mart, where are you going at Bob's Hardware?

Why are you against Wal-Mart forcing suppliers to cut costs and increase quality. Is Wal-Mart supposed to sell overpriced crap, so that employees at XYZ company can keep their jobs?
Old Oct 5th 2005, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by mdyoung
I can't see how people are going to do worse if Wal-Mart comes to town and they lose their job at Bob's Hardware. You do have the opportunity to move up the ladder at Wal-Mart, where are you going at Bob's Hardware?

Why are you against Wal-Mart forcing suppliers to cut costs and increase quality. Is Wal-Mart supposed to sell overpriced crap, so that employees at XYZ company can keep their jobs?
And I'm sure Bob's Hardware has affordable health insurance too don't you think
Old Oct 5th 2005, 7:31 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

And I'm sure Bob's Hardware has affordable health insurance too don't you think
Costco v. Wal-Mart: How They Stack Up
Global Workforce
Wal-Mart: 1.6 million associates
Costco: 113,000 employees

U.S. Workforce
Wal-Mart: 1.2 million
Costco: 83,600

U.S. Union Members
Wal-Mart: 0
Costco: 15,000

U.S. Stores
Wal-Mart: 3,600
Costco: 336

Net Profits (2004)
Wal-Mart: $10.5 billion
Costco: $882 million

CEO Salary + Bonus (2004)
Wal-Mart: $5.3 million
Costco: $350,000

Average Pay
Wal-Mart: $9.68/hour
Costco: $16/hour

Health Plan Costs
Wal-Mart: Associates pay 34% of premiums + deductible ($350-$1,000)
Costco: Comprehensive; employees pay 5-8% of premiums

Employees Covered By Company Health Insurance
Wal-Mart: 48%
Costco: 82%

Employee Turnover (estimate)
Wal-Mart: 50%
Costco: 24%

Sources: Wal-Mart, Costco, Business Week, Forbes.com
Old Oct 5th 2005, 7:33 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

a couple of female friends are drug reps

they are never happy when I tell them they have a completely pointless job and they are just perpetuating the broke US healthcare system

they started off with guff like 'i think I really make a difference to patients lives, making sure doctors know what drugs are out there'

bOllOcks

I am NOT liberal and I beleive that people should stand on their own two feet, but when I see my wifes grandmother having to decide between heating fuel and paying for prescription drugs it makes me sick

sorry

bit O/T
Old Oct 5th 2005, 7:35 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
a couple of female friends are drug reps

they are never happy when I tell them they have a completely pointless job and they are just perpetuating the broke US healthcare system

they started off with guff like 'i think I really make a difference to patients lives, making sure doctors know what drugs are out there'

bOllOcks

I am NOT liberal and I beleive that people should stand on their own two feet, but when I see my wifes grandmother having to decide between heating fuel and paying for prescription drugs it makes me sick

sorry

bit O/T
No, it's not OT at all.
We have in this one thread the acceptable and the unacceptable face of capitalism. One is red and the other is blue. And it is as clear as daylight to me.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 7:37 am

Costco v. Wal-Mart: How They Stack Up
Global Workforce
Wal-Mart: 1.6 million associates
Costco: 113,000 employees

U.S. Workforce
Wal-Mart: 1.2 million
Costco: 83,600

U.S. Union Members
Wal-Mart: 0
Costco: 15,000

U.S. Stores
Wal-Mart: 3,600
Costco: 336

Net Profits (2004)
Wal-Mart: $10.5 billion
Costco: $882 million

CEO Salary + Bonus (2004)
Wal-Mart: $5.3 million
Costco: $350,000

Average Pay
Wal-Mart: $9.68/hour
Costco: $16/hour

Health Plan Costs
Wal-Mart: Associates pay 34% of premiums + deductible ($350-$1,000)
Costco: Comprehensive; employees pay 5-8% of premiums

Employees Covered By Company Health Insurance
Wal-Mart: 48%
Costco: 82%

Employee Turnover (estimate)
Wal-Mart: 50%
Costco: 24%

Sources: Wal-Mart, Costco, Business Week, Forbes.com

But how do they stack up to Bob's Hardware??
Old Oct 5th 2005, 7:39 am
Septicity

But how do they stack up to Bob's Hardware??
How do they stack up to slavery or the Victorian workhouse would be more to the point!
Old Oct 5th 2005, 7:45 am

How do they stack up to slavery or the Victorian workhouse would be more to the point!

HUH??

Walmart is a PRIVATE company and can pay people whatever they want. PRIVATE citizens can chose to shop there, work there or boycott it.

Personally,after seeing that they have NO union employees, I'm even more tempted to shop there.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 7:48 am
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute

More importantly, how does a thread about wholesalers end up being about politics? Is it a slow news day, or is this just the next thing on your long list of gripes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.