Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The cost of motor insurance

The cost of motor insurance

Old Oct 28th 2017, 2:11 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The cost of motor insurance

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
..... But do make sure they're all offering appropriate coverage levels.
Good point! Some states have some ridiculously low minimum coverage levels, which as far as I can tell are designed for students, rednecks, and habitual drunks, because nobody with any sense would drive with $25,000 of personal injury liability coverage and no coverage for property damage liability, yet such policies exist!
Old Oct 28th 2017, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

I'm paying just under $600 per car per year with a 16yo on the policy. $500 deductible. Two of the cars are brand new.

Good credit record definitely helps, and being in Maine.
Old Oct 28th 2017, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Russet has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely agree with trying AIG Travelguard. It was significantly cheaper for us and we are still with them 5 years later as even after shopping around we havent been able to find cheaper.
Old Oct 28th 2017, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
And shop around a lot. In my case when I started, one insurer quoted me less than half of any of the others when I had almost given up trying to find something reasonable. In the end, the most expensive quote was six times the least. But do make sure they're all offering appropriate coverage levels.
Yes. AAA and state farm quoted me >$2000 when i first arrived. Progressive chose to accept my driving date from the UK license and charged me ~$90/ month. Do not use an insurance agent - use the websites and enter your UK license date.
Old Oct 28th 2017, 3:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bewildering
.... use the websites and enter your UK license date.
Which is probably fraud and would invalidate your insurance in the event that you need to claim on it.

If you seriously injured or killed a third party you would be heading straight for bankruptcy. Is that worth saving a $1,000 for?
Old Oct 30th 2017, 2:15 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Or is he Australian...?
South African i think mate
Old Oct 30th 2017, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

mbox is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Russet
Definitely agree with trying AIG Travelguard. It was significantly cheaper for us and we are still with them 5 years later as even after shopping around we havent been able to find cheaper.
I looked at the AIG travelguard website and they offer Travel insurance. How do you get discounted car insurance through them?

Thanks!
Old Oct 30th 2017, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by mbox
I looked at the AIG travelguard website and they offer Travel insurance. How do you get discounted car insurance through them? .....
It's the AIG Global Assistance program that includes access to discounted car insurance. It is being discussed over on this thread at the moment.
Old Oct 30th 2017, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Also if you are making a reasonable salary or have assets, very worthwhile looking at umbrella insurance.
Old Nov 1st 2017, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

Jaag is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Good point! Some states have some ridiculously low minimum coverage levels, which as far as I can tell are designed for students, rednecks, and habitual drunks, because nobody with any sense would drive with $25,000 of personal injury liability coverage and no coverage for property damage liability, yet such policies exist!
Originally Posted by mrken30
Also if you are making a reasonable salary or have assets, very worthwhile looking at umbrella insurance.
This is great advice!!!

TL;DR -
* Get the maximum coverage and/or opt for an umbrella policy - you should have coverage for at least as much as you're worth.
* YOU are liable for getting sued for anything more than that amount you're insured for.
* Peace of mind is worth more than the few bucks it costs.
* State Farm were excellent for me.

Take your NCB and importantly the Policyholder info to insurer - point the to the liability coverage in the small print and they should be able to lower it. But credit rating is still king.

My [now ex] wife got into an accident which was only partly her fault, got sued for more than the insurance covered. They insurance company got them to settle out of court for the $100k (because we were able to prove partial fault on the other party) but opened my eyes to how exposed you can be.

State Farm were excellent, paid out instantly, appointed attorney and sorted everything for us. Cannot fault them personally.

Once I found this out, I upped my coverage to the max and included an "Umbrella" policy - it's a pretty cheap add-on.

Also, advice for those not chosen their vehicles, it's worth doing your research and checking insurance rates before committing to a specific car.

I found insuring a Subaru was one of the cheapest, Infiniti & Lexus were also less expensive, at around half the cost of insuring a similar sized & priced Cadillac.

When you're paying $100-$200/month on insurance, it's worth factoring in along with the lease/repayment price to get a total cost.

(Memories of paying just 70 pounds a month to insure a Volvo S80, a Jaguar XKR, and a VW T5 camper van.....the coast & countryside.....the historic buildings....the crappy weather......I do miss plenty about the UK!!!!)
Old Nov 7th 2017, 1:51 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phyzz
I also got quoted ridiculous amounts to start with.

Signed up with AIG travelguard (I think that is the name of it).
Premiums were significantly reduced. If I recall correctly it is in the region of $450 to sign up, but the saving on my car insurance alone more than covered that cost. They also offer additional services included within that fee. Worth a look in my opinion.
https://mvp.travelguard.com/plans

Why would a travel insurance policy effect your car insurance?
Can't see the link there at all.
Old Nov 7th 2017, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

Phyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by excpomea
https://mvp.travelguard.com/plans

Why would a travel insurance policy effect your car insurance?
Can't see the link there at all.
Services - Relocation Services

Travel Guard® Global Expatriate Assistance Program - It is not a travel insurance policy, but a relocation service.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 12:32 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Which is probably fraud and would invalidate your insurance in the event that you need to claim on it.

If you seriously injured or killed a third party you would be heading straight for bankruptcy. Is that worth saving a $1,000 for?
But is it? Because you could live in the UK and simply have a car in the US, so you would never have an American licence.

There's no legal requirement to have a US DL to get US car insurance, plenty of Canadians own cars in the US.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
But is it? Because you could live in the UK and simply have a car in the US, so you would never have an American licence.

There's no legal requirement to have a US DL to get US car insurance, plenty of Canadians own cars in the US.
But the OP does not live in the UK.
There is a requirement to have a US licence when a permanent US resident.

The issue is making a truthful declaration in the insurance application. Make it truthful and you are covered. Make it less than the truth and you run the risk of having a claim denied. Simple really.