Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cost of a maintaining a pool and house buying in CA

Cost of a maintaining a pool and house buying in CA

Old May 25th 2013, 1:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cost of a maintaining a pool and house buying in CA

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Find a local pool store and get friendly, they will help. The local one to us was called Leslies, they would test water you brought in and recommend what chemicals and how much.

They sell the floaty chairs and drinks holders too
Yes, I've heard Leslies is the place to go.

Originally Posted by joto
Try Target, Wallyworld, Tuesday Morning for floaty chairs and other pool toys.
Lovely, thanks.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Congratulations, may the partying begin! ..... But please follow pool safety recommendations, keep the gate secured, never leave children alone, etc.
Will do.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Bought ours from Costco...also get the chlorine from there.
Going to Costco tomorrow to check out what they've got.

Originally Posted by Orangepants
Congrats on the closing. Living the dream definitely - San Diego is one of my favourite cities.
We took the "plunge" and are now building a pool - Just got back from 10 days in the UK...and this is what it looks like so far.. another 3/4 weeks to go. Cant wait to go out shopping for loungers..
Ooh, looks great. Just in time for summer.

Originally Posted by Gillymonkey
That had better be a strawberry daiquiri!
Mmm, strawberry daiquiri, my favourite.

Originally Posted by VJW
Hello
We do all the opening/closing/chemicals too, it tells you how to do it all on Youtube, its really quite easy. We have also invested in a solar cover. Basically its a huge sheet of thick bubble wrap that we pull over the pool at night. It keeps the heat in at night and extends our usage of the pool by a couple of weeks either side of the summer season. (We live in upstate New York, so need all the help we can get from the sun) Good luck, we love the pool, makes our whole summer seem like we're on holiday.
We're thinking of investing in one of those. Need to do some research over the weekend.

Originally Posted by fubar
Pool owners in this thread....I use the BBB method and have not seen it mentioned here. Basically just a bottle of regular old walmart bleach every 4 days and the pool is crystal clear and I've not had a problem in 4 years. Used to have a pool in the UK and was constantly battling against water chemistry issues and it cost me hundreds. Having a pool over here (colorado) heated to 90 has not been a large expense (May thru Oct) for the amount of fun it gives the family and friends. Have a look at this site and if you're spending more than $50/month on chemicals, you may like to read up and give it a try.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/the-bbb-method-f54.html
For anyone that says bleach is not chlorine (this includes Leslies) I'm happy to argue about it. My local pool store gave up on me buying chemicals and have mentioned I don't make a big scene when I'm in there on the poor soul buying hundreds in chems. I still buy everything else I need from there pool cover etc. Just disagree with all the crap they try and sell you when neat bleach and nothing else except CYA is all I've put in the pool for the last four seasons
Interesting. Shall have to do some research on this too.

Originally Posted by Boiler
Chlorox would be best, the only one you can add to drinking water.
Good to know.

Thanks everyone for your helpful advice and suggestions. Can't wait to get in the pool.
Old May 25th 2013, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

fubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
Chlorox would be best, the only one you can add to drinking water.
Any bleach is fine as long as it isn't scented or extra whitening/splashless.
Ingredients should show % chlorine, % other (which is water). Clorox used to have for swimming pools on their labels but I read somewhere they are involved in making the swimming pool chems so profit more from that. Do not use chlorine pucks as they will send your CYA through the roof then chlorine has little effect on controlling algae.

Trust me on this....buy a GOOD testing kit not some shite from Walmart and straight forward bleach...it will look better than you can ever make it with hundreds in Chems from the pool store
Old May 25th 2013, 1:03 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

yuk to your chemical bath

go salt

Last edited by Ray; May 25th 2013 at 1:06 pm.
Old May 25th 2013, 5:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray

go salt

Ditto
Old May 25th 2013, 5:59 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

and only $6 a bag
Old May 26th 2013, 7:12 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
and only $6 a bag
Salt systems cost more than that here. The salt cells need frequent replacement and care. Typically they last 2-3 years max at $500 a pop. And they need cleaning.

Salt is used to generate your chorine chemical bath, but with the additional dissolved solids your water is cloudy from the get go.

You need to run your pump so many hours to generate your chlorine. The pool pump is second only to your a/c in terms of running costs.

$6 a bag. bad advice that.
Old May 29th 2013, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

fubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Ray

go salt
You 'DO' realise SWG generates chlorine .....so no difference except you have to be on top of your pool more to ensure it's clean.
Old May 29th 2013, 7:36 pm
Ray

You 'DO' realise SWG generates chlorine .....so no difference except you have to be on top of your pool more to ensure it's clean.
I have only had my salt pool in operation for
7 years and chlorine for 7 years before that ..
.but you without.... know so much ..

typical know nothings
Old May 29th 2013, 7:42 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
Salt systems cost more than that here. The salt cells need frequent replacement and care. Typically they last 2-3 years max at $500 a pop. And they need cleaning.
still going at 7 year it require 10 mins care every 2 months

Salt is used to generate your chorine chemical bath, but with the additional dissolved solids your water is cloudy from the get go.
complete nonsense and ignorance
You need to run your pump so many hours to generate your chlorine. The pool pump is second only to your a/c in terms of running costs.
run exactly the same length of time as it always has
Old May 29th 2013, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

Holy shit....I'm off to buy an SWG then. OP, get a salt water generator.

Thanks Ray
Old May 29th 2013, 8:11 pm
Ray

Holy shit....I'm off to buy an SWG then. OP, get a salt water generator.

Thanks Ray
and you will love it ...lol
Old May 29th 2013, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold

Took a water sample to Leslies over the weekend - some of the 'not sure what exactly' levels were a bit off. He recommended that we drain the pool once summer is over, when we do that we will look into getting a salt pool as I'm hoping to be in it everyday and want something that isn't going to be so bad for my skin. I want to get fit again! Took my first 6.30am dip this morning. Wasn't too bad after a few mins. Will also be looking into those pool covers over the weekend.
Old May 29th 2013, 10:28 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by Holliver
Took a water sample to Leslies over the weekend - some of the 'not sure what exactly' levels were a bit off. He recommended that we drain the pool once summer is over, when we do that we will look into getting a salt pool as I'm hoping to be in it everyday and want something that isn't going to be so bad for my skin. I want to get fit again! Took my first 6.30am dip this morning. Wasn't too bad after a few mins. Will also be looking into those pool covers over the weekend.
Go salt ..are you mad after what the expert said .. you are mad
mine is 85F to 87f the last 5 days ..but I swim down to 65F
I am really tough ... Ok ..so a few bits fell off
Old May 29th 2013, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Go salt ..are you mad after what the expert said .. you are mad
mine is 85F to 87f the last 5 days ..but I swim down to 65F
I am really tough ... Ok ..so a few bits fell off
And a few bits shriveled up.
Old May 29th 2013, 10:57 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by joto
And a few bits shriveled up.
yup ..then they fell off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.