Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cost of a maintaining a pool and house buying in CA

Cost of a maintaining a pool and house buying in CA

Old Apr 10th 2013, 3:18 am
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of a maintaining a pool and house buying in CA

Originally Posted by Holliver
Think I'll stay away from your pool
People let their dogs swim in their pools. At least I can wipe my own ass.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
People let their dogs swim in their pools. At least I can wipe my own ass.
I'd stay away from theirs too.
Old May 17th 2013, 4:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold

Just a quick update - We closed on the house with the pool on Tuesday. Very exciting. Now we need to work out all the pool maintenance malarky. Can't wait until summer, lounging in the pool with a daiquiri
Old May 17th 2013, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget to get the floating chair or lounger with a cup holder and the plastic glasses. Enjoy!
Old May 17th 2013, 8:30 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick update - We closed on the house with the pool on Tuesday. Very exciting. Now we need to work out all the pool maintenance malarky. Can't wait until summer, lounging in the pool with a daiquiri
Find a local pool store and get friendly, they will help. The local one to us was called Leslies, they would test water you brought in and recommend what chemicals and how much.

They sell the floaty chairs and drinks holders too
Old May 17th 2013, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

Havnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Find a local pool store and get friendly, they will help. The local one to us was called Leslies, they would test water you brought in and recommend what chemicals and how much.

They sell the floaty chairs and drinks holders too
We love Leslies too, they are really helpful. Their pricing for floaty chairs and other pool toys are really high though. I found them much cheaper at the Sporting Goods stores or even Target.
Old May 17th 2013, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Try Target, Wallyworld, Tuesday Morning for floaty chairs and other pool toys.
Old May 17th 2013, 9:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, may the partying begin! ..... But please follow pool safety recommendations, keep the gate secured, never leave children alone, etc.
Old May 17th 2013, 9:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto
Try Target, Wallyworld, Tuesday Morning for floaty chairs and other pool toys.
Bought ours from Costco...also get the chlorine from there.
Old May 21st 2013, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the closing. Living the dream definitely - San Diego is one of my favourite cities.
We took the "plunge" and are now building a pool - Just got back from 10 days in the UK...and this is what it looks like so far.. another 3/4 weeks to go. Cant wait to go out shopping for loungers..
Attached Thumbnails Cost of a maintaining a pool and house buying in CA-img_0503.jpg  
Old May 21st 2013, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute

That had better be a strawberry daiquiri!
Old May 23rd 2013, 9:06 pm
VJW
Forum Regular

VJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really nice

Hello
We do all the opening/closing/chemicals too, it tells you how to do it all on Youtube, its really quite easy. We have also invested in a solar cover. Basically its a huge sheet of thick bubble wrap that we pull over the pool at night. It keeps the heat in at night and extends our usage of the pool by a couple of weeks either side of the summer season. (We live in upstate New York, so need all the help we can get from the sun) Good luck, we love the pool, makes our whole summer seem like we're on holiday.
Old May 23rd 2013, 10:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Home Power this month has an article on heating pools.
Old May 24th 2013, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

fubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant future

Pool owners in this thread....I use the BBB method and have not seen it mentioned here. Basically just a bottle of regular old walmart bleach every 4 days and the pool is crystal clear and I've not had a problem in 4 years. Used to have a pool in the UK and was constantly battling against water chemistry issues and it cost me hundreds. Having a pool over here (colorado) heated to 90 has not been a large expense (May thru Oct) for the amount of fun it gives the family and friends. Have a look at this site and if you're spending more than $50/month on chemicals, you may like to read up and give it a try.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/the-bbb-method-f54.html
For anyone that says bleach is not chlorine (this includes Leslies) I'm happy to argue about it. My local pool store gave up on me buying chemicals and have mentioned I don't make a big scene when I'm in there on the poor soul buying hundreds in chems. I still buy everything else I need from there pool cover etc. Just disagree with all the crap they try and sell you when neat bleach and nothing else except CYA is all I've put in the pool for the last four seasons
Old May 24th 2013, 5:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Chlorox would be best, the only one you can add to drinking water.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.