Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cost of a maintaining a pool and house buying in CA

Cost of a maintaining a pool and house buying in CA

Old Apr 8th 2013, 9:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of a maintaining a pool and house buying in CA

Originally Posted by Holliver
Darn it. Hmm, I wonder if somewhere sells magical tinfoil looking covers to keep the heat of the pool in. Would that work?

I think I'm getting far to excited about this pool now. Is a swimming pool part of the American Dream? No, well, it's my American Dream.
You can buy covers to keep the heat inside the pool when it's not in use.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 8th 2013 at 9:35 pm. Reason: typo
Old Apr 8th 2013, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You can by covers to keep the heat inside the pool when it's not in use.
Of course, I wouldn't want to drown anyone!
Old Apr 8th 2013, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Holliver
Darn it. Hmm, I wonder if somewhere sells magical tinfoil looking covers to keep the heat of the pool in. Would that work?

I think I'm getting far to excited about this pool now. Is a swimming pool part of the American Dream? No, well, it's my American Dream.
Keep it covered during the week and heat it only on the weekends or whenever you want to use it to keep the cost down.

http://www.wikihow.com/Drastically-R...-Swimming-Pool
Old Apr 8th 2013, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Michael
Keep it covered during the week and heat it only on the weekends or whenever you want to use it to keep the cost down.

http://www.wikihow.com/Drastically-R...-Swimming-Pool
OK, thanks for the info.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Recent unexpected cost, $1400 to put in a childproof fence even though he is stubbornly refusing to crawl right now.
Yes - don't forget the possible child proofing costs and the ongoing homeowners insurance costs.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 10:30 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

try this too...... http://www.green-planet-solar-energy...ol-heater.html
Old Apr 8th 2013, 10:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I see that the OP lives in San Diego.

Don't know how close to the ocean or inland you are but if inland you won't have to worry about heating the pool in late June to probably early September because the pool will quite happily get up to mid 80's without any extra heating if it's in the sun for most of the day.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 10:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
I keep meaning to try something like that but never get round to it.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 10:41 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Recent unexpected cost, $1400 to put in a childproof fence even though he is stubbornly refusing to crawl right now.
A wise move
Old Apr 8th 2013, 10:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a dog or cat...a ramp to help them out of the pool. There was an article on TV a few years ago about the number of pets that drown each year in swimming pools. If they don't know how to get out...they swim around until they are tired...then drown. Something I hadn't thought of before.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 10:48 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
I do my own maintenance. Once a week, check the chemicals and brush the pool. I have a 'crawly which' is an automatic cleaner which works its way around the pool.

I buy 2 x tubs of tablets = $150.00 per annum
Muriatic acid = $40.00 per annum

Frog mineral supplement = $100 per annum

Electricity costs around $120.00 per month. The number of hours filtering the pool goes up in the summer, gets reduced in the winter.

How much you use the pool and how many people regularly use it will affect the amount of chemicals you use.

Plenty of books around for pool maintenance.

Same here except for frog supplement. But instead i spend around $100 on scaletec to keep the white scale build up off the tile.

Many pool stores recommend you maintain a PH of 7.4-7.8 but i found that maintaining a level of 7.2 defeats the algae, its can't grow at 7.2 so that saved buying all the algaecide that other people in Arizona have to do.

I always keep 2-4 tabs in a floating basket (not in the skimmer) to maintain chlorine and stabalizer.

Electricity costs can vary. Conventional pumps are now against code in Arizona. Now you have to fork out $1300+ for the new variable speed pumps (4 times the cost of a conventional pump). But they claim they can save you 90% on electricity.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 10:50 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If you have a dog or cat...a ramp to help them out of the pool. There was an article on TV a few years ago about the number of pets that drown each year in swimming pools. If they don't know how to get out...they swim around until they are tired...then drown. Something I hadn't thought of before.
Good idea.

I've found dead birds in my pool and even a live snake in the skimmer.

TIP : tap on the skimmer lid before you remove cover.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 10:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
I see that the OP lives in San Diego.

Don't know how close to the ocean or inland you are but if inland you won't have to worry about heating the pool in late June to probably early September because the pool will quite happily get up to mid 80's without any extra heating if it's in the sun for most of the day.
How far inland do you have to be in San Diego so that the ocean won't cool the pool overnight enough to allow you to use it during the day? If it is too far inland, then air conditioning bills will skyrocket so it seems like a no win situation.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 10:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
Many pool stores recommend you maintain a PH of 7.4-7.8 but i found that maintaining a level of 7.2 defeats the algae, its can't grow at 7.2 so that saved buying all the algaecide that other people in Arizona have to do.
That's pretty much the main problem with salt pools, the chlorinator is constantly making it more alkaline.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 11:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
How far inland do you have to be in San Diego so that the ocean won't cool the pool overnight enough to allow you to use it during the day? If it is too far inland, then air conditioning bills will skyrocket so it seems like a no win situation.
I'm in Poway - about 15 miles inland from Del Mar. My pool stays warm throughout from late June to early September as said, and I use my airconditioning for the most 5 to 7 days a year.

Last year was very hot in September so air conditioning went up to about 10 days.

My pool is in sun most of the day and it's maximum depth is 5.5ft, which might make a difference. Much deeper pool may not heat up so much?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.