Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cost of a maintaining a pool and house buying in CA

Cost of a maintaining a pool and house buying in CA

Old Apr 9th 2013, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

mamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of a maintaining a pool and house buying in CA

I'm in GA, and my pool gets opened at the start of May, and gets closed early September.
We have a solar heater for our pool, and in June, the temperature is in excess of 90 deg.
Here's a link... but there are many places that sell them, and they're easy to fit.
http://www.poolsuppliessuperstore.co...stem-1860.html

Also, a 'bubble' plastic cover at night helps keep the heat in.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

judesM is an unknown quantity at this point

Our place came with a pool. When kids were little, they loved it. Teenagers and up not so much. My partner complains about the amount of work to maintain it for no one that really uses it much!!
Old Apr 9th 2013, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

The pool at our new place costs $75 per month for cleaning and maintenance, supplies like salt are extra. We have just moved in so don't know the costs for utilities for the pool yet. The pump and filter are electric and the heating is gas.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by judesM
Our place came with a pool. When kids were little, they loved it. Teenagers and up not so much. My partner complains about the amount of work to maintain it for no one that really uses it much!!
Does it take a lot of work? We are planning to put a pool in, we have had three consultations this week and they all say about an hour a week..and additional costs are minimal blah, blah... not sure whether it is sales pitch, BS or what...
Old Apr 9th 2013, 12:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Orangepants
Does it take a lot of work? We are planning to put a pool in, we have had three consultations this week and they all say about an hour a week..and additional costs are minimal blah, blah... not sure whether it is sales pitch, BS or what...
We had a pool when we lived in TX, the kids were young then and very excited to have a pool. The cleaning (skimming) had to be done daily, getting rid of leaves, bugs etc, we had a few trees around the pool. We only lived in that house for just over 2 years, but we decided that we didn't use it enough to make the maintenance costs and work needed to keep it clean worth having another one.

There are differing opinions on if it attracts or puts off buyers if a house has a pool, unless you are going to use it regularly, have young kids, big family etc, I would talk to others in the neighborhood to see if they think it's worth having and why/why not.

jmho.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 2:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
We had a pool when we lived in TX, the kids were young then and very excited to have a pool. The cleaning (skimming) had to be done daily, getting rid of leaves, bugs etc, we had a few trees around the pool. We only lived in that house for just over 2 years, but we decided that we didn't use it enough to make the maintenance costs and work needed to keep it clean worth having another one.

There are differing opinions on if it attracts or puts off buyers if a house has a pool, unless you are going to use it regularly, have young kids, big family etc, I would talk to others in the neighborhood to see if they think it's worth having and why/why not.

jmho.

We have just had a realtor to value our house. He said 2 out of 10 people buying a house in this area want a pool...3 do not and 5 aren't bothered either way. Of course in this part of the country a pool is used for approx 4 to 5 months of the year. Maybe in warmer states there is more demand for a pool.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

jmho.
Thanks - I just have a big kid of a husband and a lively dog.. - we have about an acre and no trees. It will definitely improve the garden as at the moment there is nothing and no reason to go out there. We just sit on the deck or screened porch so feel that we would spend more time outside if we had a pool. Husband is a water baby and would swim each day and I probably would too. The consultants all say that with modern tech, you don't have to do too much daily. I think I need to read more and not rush into this. Everyone I have spoken to says - Yes put one in..
Old Apr 9th 2013, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

mamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond repute

We're both in our 60's and love our pool!
We're both retired, so we've got lots of free time. Cleaning takes about 15 minutes maximum a day....I've got one of these.....and I love it...
http://watertechcorp.com/products-PBmax.htm
It's a lot easier than hoses that trail around the pool. I've used it for 4 summers, and it's been fantastic.

I take my water sample once a month to Leslie's pools, and they test the water, and tell me what I need to do.

Pool maintenance can be as difficult or easy as you make it....we prefer easy.

There's nothing nicer than floating around the pool in summer, cold drink in hand, on an inflatable longer....or, when I can't be bothered going to the gym, half an out of swimming.

We love our pool!!!

Last edited by mamasue; Apr 9th 2013 at 3:13 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

We're in 92117 ("East La Jolla" ).

We have a guy come do our pool for $95 a month, plus an annual extra service or similar which costs about the same. We also budget an extra $500 for "things" that might go wrong.

We could do it ourselves, but right now the timing isn't right for us as poor hubby is effectively a full-time single dad and bigwig exec.

We have solar heating - it was already installed when we bought our home - and I'm told that the pump & sensor for this have broken in the last week or so and will cost approx $500 to repair including our pool-man's minimal labor charge.

Our pool sits at 94F during summer; we use a cover which has a life of approx four years from what we can tell.

We also use the AC about 3 x a year, and are probably 3 miles from the coast as the crow flies.

Last edited by Ozzidoc; Apr 9th 2013 at 3:34 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 5:22 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

jmho.
I think alot depends on the house. If its a large family house, plenty of bedrooms, you would think kids and then a pool and/or a lawn would be a good idea. I think thats how things roll here in the desert. Smaller houses just have desert landscapings, rocks and few cacti.

I purchased my house with a lawn and a pool, but i actually loved the pool so much the idea of maintenance did not even come into my head. I was bursting with pride about the fact that I had a pool.

I am watching my kids growing up playing in my pool, i taught them to swim myself in my pool. We love playing vollyball in the pool. I enjoy relaxing on a float looking up at the palm trees in my pool. I like grilling by the pool. And i love having sex in the pool.

I do my general pool maintenance myself. I've got it down to a few minutes a week. 10 minutes every 3 months for backwashing.
I've given up doing my own yardwork/landscaping, i hire someone to do that now. $40 a month saves me hours every month.

Last edited by Uncle_Bob; Apr 9th 2013 at 5:25 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 6:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We have just had a realtor to value our house. He said 2 out of 10 people buying a house in this area want a pool...3 do not and 5 aren't bothered either way. Of course in this part of the country a pool is used for approx 4 to 5 months of the year. Maybe in warmer states there is more demand for a pool.
I can only speak from my own experience, we were all happy to be able to buy a house that had a pool, esp' in Texas! The first year was great fun for all of us, but the 2nd year we hardly used it at all. When we were selling, the pool seemed to be a big drawback, people thought it was too much to keep up That was in 1998 though, so things may have changed.

It's a personal choice either way, I would definitely prefer to have my own pool than use a neighborhood one!
Old Apr 9th 2013, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

gad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond repute

When we were house hunting we were in the mind set of we'd rather not have a pool but if the house was right then we wouldn't worry if it had a pool. As it turned out, the day we went house hunting, no houses had a pool.

Someone asked about temps inland. You don't have to go far inland for the temps to rise by 10 degrees. I don't know what difference this makes to air conditioning usage.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
And i love having sex in the pool.
Think I'll stay away from your pool
Old Apr 10th 2013, 12:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gad33
Someone asked about temps inland. You don't have to go far inland for the temps to rise by 10 degrees. I don't know what difference this makes to air conditioning usage.
I am a long way inland.

It has been snowing all day.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

gad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond repute

But I didn't say what the starting point was.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.