Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cost of Living for a young family in LA?

Cost of Living for a young family in LA?

Old Aug 7th 2011, 1:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Living for a young family in LA?

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Some British people just don't 'get' that things are different. They think there must be healthcare provision for those without insurance, or concern for the environment, or easy socializing. That is the purpose of cautionary posts on here.
I understand that.

But, and not saying that the OP isn't genuine, I wonder about some people at times....
Old Aug 7th 2011, 2:14 am
Just Joined

FredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to all

L.A. -- like a lot of places, I suppose -- is what you make of it. If you come here determined to take advantage of all the wonderful things that make it a great city, you should have a blast. If you come looking for something like England except with an endless summer, maybe not.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

mymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nice

ok, am feeling a little ostracised and having assumptions placed on me so will probably start taking my research elsewhere. Am of course doing other research, just thought a british expat forum might be a useful place to start because presumably there are people who have made the same move who can offer their experience.

I have lived abroad before, but in developing countries where I've been able to work and been childless so no I don't have any idea what it's like to live in LA, which is why I'm asking!!

Thankyou for the useful replies, especially concerning things like childcare fees, have done research in other places as to the type of childcare so that really helps.

I know people drive more in LA than London, I also appreciate it will be more expensive and difficult for us to release big capital for things like cars hence seeing if its workable with one car when only one member of the family works and the children are pre-school - also why I'm restricting my research at the moment to Santa Monica because I have heard/read (but was looking for opinions) that compared to a lot of LA it is more of a walkable city.

I've found the tone of some recent posts pretty condescending, I wouldn't be here looking for help if I wasn't trying to get a fair assessment before forking out a lot of money on a recce. Generally when we've lived abroad I've not had to do so much research and we've just gone and done it, but I know myself well and know I am susceptible to post-natal depression, am having a baby in November and might be looking at moving away from my support network shortly afterwards, I know the things I need to look into to make sure I have at least some things in place to make life easier. I'm pretty sure I've never said at any point, LA looks nice because of the sunshine so we're going to move out there, I don't need any other info, thanks very much. Quite the opposite.

I'm also usually the kind of person who just goes for the big adventure without thinking through these kind of details but with two cmall children in tow appreciate I have more than my sense of adventure to consider.

I really appreciate the useful posts and comments, I hadn't thought about a company bus service so will ask my husband to check that with his company (he won't be working for Yahoo themselves but apparently there are a few other companies based in the Yahoo village). Thanks for your time and sharing your experiences, I have a starting point now at least.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mymatemarmite
ok, am feeling a little ostracised and having assumptions placed on me so will probably start taking my research elsewhere. Am of course doing other research, just thought a british expat forum might be a useful place to start because presumably there are people who have made the same move who can offer their experience.

I have lived abroad before, but in developing countries where I've been able to work and been childless so no I don't have any idea what it's like to live in LA, which is why I'm asking!!

Thankyou for the useful replies, especially concerning things like childcare fees, have done research in other places as to the type of childcare so that really helps.

I know people drive more in LA than London, I also appreciate it will be more expensive and difficult for us to release big capital for things like cars hence seeing if its workable with one car when only one member of the family works and the children are pre-school - also why I'm restricting my research at the moment to Santa Monica because I have heard/read (but was looking for opinions) that compared to a lot of LA it is more of a walkable city.

I've found the tone of some recent posts pretty condescending, I wouldn't be here looking for help if I wasn't trying to get a fair assessment before forking out a lot of money on a recce. Generally when we've lived abroad I've not had to do so much research and we've just gone and done it, but I know myself well and know I am susceptible to post-natal depression, am having a baby in November and might be looking at moving away from my support network shortly afterwards, I know the things I need to look into to make sure I have at least some things in place to make life easier. I'm pretty sure I've never said at any point, LA looks nice because of the sunshine so we're going to move out there, I don't need any other info, thanks very much. Quite the opposite.

I'm also usually the kind of person who just goes for the big adventure without thinking through these kind of details but with two cmall children in tow appreciate I have more than my sense of adventure to consider.

I really appreciate the useful posts and comments, I hadn't thought about a company bus service so will ask my husband to check that with his company (he won't be working for Yahoo themselves but apparently there are a few other companies based in the Yahoo village). Thanks for your time and sharing your experiences, I have a starting point now at least.
A little unfair but never mind.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 6:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Please don't take this the wrong way...but if I knew that I was susceptible to post-natal depression...I would not be considering moving to a new country at this time. You will be leaving behind your support system and moving to a country with a totally different culture. IMO with a newborn and small child...that in itself is a big hurdle to climb without post natal depression on top.

Will your husband's company provide healthcare insurance cover from day 1? Many have a 3 month waiting period and you do not want to be here without healthcare insurance...especially with 2 young children. Also if your baby is born in the US...will the cost of the birth etc be covered and how much will your co-pays and deductibles be? Will you have dental/optical/medications insurance?

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 7th 2011 at 7:02 pm. Reason: missed a word out
Old Aug 7th 2011, 6:58 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

... living in LA, having no direct experience of US culture and customs, being of an eco-friendly disposition, with a newborn and a toddler, possibly being able to afford only an apartment....... which probably will be mostly populated by childless professionals who just go there to sleep, with possibly only one car, plus a mindset that includes ideas of living close enough for DH to bus/cycle/walk/carpool...

Just random thoughts popping into my head...... but may be food for thought.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 7:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
... living in LA, having no direct experience of US culture and customs, being of an eco-friendly disposition, with a newborn and a toddler, possibly being able to afford only an apartment....... which probably will be mostly populated by childless professionals who just go there to sleep, with possibly only one car, plus a mindset that includes ideas of living close enough for DH to bus/cycle/walk/carpool...

Just random thoughts popping into my head...... but may be food for thought.
I have to be careful what I say because posters tend to think I am criticizing them, when I just have a genuine concern for a mother of young kids being plonked into this situation...but...exactly. Don't forget she also has to learn to drive in this unfamiliar place with a young baby.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 7:05 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I have to be careful what I say because posters tend to think I am criticizing them, when I just have a genuine concern for a mother of young kids being plonked into this situation...but...exactly. Don't forget she also has to learn to drive in this unfamiliar place with a young baby.
That's a good point. Driving in LA can be scary. And even though my lot are grown I can well remember how distracting a crying baby and/or a whinging toddler can be when you are driving. Plus the distances to be covered in LA can be enormous. And the sheer awfulness of the traffic, and generally poor standard of driving. Or getting on the 405 at the wrong time of day.......... oh boy!
Old Aug 7th 2011, 7:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Elvira
That's a good point. Driving in LA can be scary. And even though my lot are grown I can well remember how distracting a crying baby and/or a whinging toddler can be when you are driving. Plus the distances to be covered in LA can be enormous. And the sheer awfulness of the traffic, and generally poor standard of driving. Or getting on the 405 at the wrong time of day.......... oh boy!
The 405 is going to continue to be extra nightmarish for the next couple of years while they widen it.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 6:09 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

The 405 is going to continue to be extra nightmarish for the next couple of years while they widen it.
The 405 doesn't bother me at all -- I hardly if ever drive on it. [I love Los Feliz].
Old Aug 8th 2011, 7:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't realise you could negotiate holiday allowance, what have other people managed to negotiate? He finds out on Monday if he got the job!
If it hasn't been pointed out, the wiki here covers a lot of things people have asked for and gotten in relocation packages, as well as other things that are worth considering, emergency family flights, holiday allowance, repatriation expenses, basically anything and everything to make it as expensive as possible to fire you, because at will, they can let you go with no notice or severance unless you've got it in writing.

You will want to consider getting two cars. It's bloody miserable without a car here and generally just not practical, especially if you've got kids and want to take them out anywhere in the summer heat.

Other things to consider, what visa, if on a company L1 transfer, you'd be allowed to work, if it's a H1B, then you wouldn't, and no, a theatre wouldn't get you a H1B for short term work and no you'd not be able to do that kind of work on a voluntary basis.

Childcare is more expensive. I'm sure CA isn't much different to MA, where it's $1500 a month in the burbs of Boston for 3 half days a week per month, per kid.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 7:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I think you'll find that one car between you isn't going to be enough. If your children are involved in activities how will you get them there? Unless of course you drive your husband to work and keep the car....
That's what we're doing and the one car life is miserable...and we're in a town where walking around is fairly doable, but pushing a toddler around in a pushchair and carrying a baby around in a stomach pouch whilst it is 80-95F plus humidity is miserable.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 7:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by FredCDobbs
I'm not convinced of that at all.

If you did an objective comparison of prices for food (groceries and restaurant), clothing, cars (new or used), petrol/gas, wine & beer (staples!), electronics (computer stuff, TVs, cameras, phones etc.), services like gardening and house cleaning and so on, I'd bet L.A. would work out significantly cheaper than London. Comparable hotel rooms are twice as expensive in London, although that's probably not a relevant item

Mercer's most recent ranking of cost of living in world cities has London as 18th most expensive with LA down at #77. An on-line comparison called Xpatulator.com has London at #20 and L.A. down at #146. I'm sure there are other rankings too.

I suspect that some of the U.S. residents posting on here might be a bit out-of-date in their assessment of London prices.

Of course for any individual it depends on what you actually need to buy, and fluctuations in exchange rates make a difference too.
LA is huge...you've got places like Compton taking the average way down out of scope. Nothing in London can compare to that level of shit.

The average also means shit, if you're living or wanting to live close to work that is in a part that is expensive such as Santa Monica, because it is expensive.

Young and single, you'd be able to cope with a lot less, but with kids, it's a lot harder bundling up in a shitty apartment and making do.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 7:15 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
LA is huge...you've got places like Compton taking the average way down out of scope. Nothing in London can compare to that level of shit.

The average also means shit, if you're living or wanting to live close to work that is in a part that is expensive such as Santa Monica, because it is expensive.

Young and single, you'd be able to cope with a lot less, but with kids, it's a lot harder bundling up in a shitty apartment and making do.
I don't know Tottenham and Compton could be compared
Old Aug 8th 2011, 9:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by N1cky
I don't know Tottenham and Compton could be compared
After today, that's for sure

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.