Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cost of Living for a young family in LA?

Cost of Living for a young family in LA?

Old Aug 6th 2011, 8:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Living for a young family in LA?

The question was not 'How cheaply can I live in LA?' but 'Can I achieve a standard of living which makes it worth moving from a comfortable lifestyle in London?'

One of the biggest differences is going to be non-availability of public transport in this poster's case.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 8:47 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I think you'll find that one car between you isn't going to be enough. If your children are involved in activities how will you get them there? Unless of course you drive your husband to work and keep the car....

You don't have to buy a brand new car, a used car for you or your husband will work just fine. Maybe I'm looking at this differently.
This was where we made the biggest mistake when we moved to LA, we only had 1 car while I wasn't working. We would all get up in the morning, drive daughter to school, drive to hubby's work and then I would drive home. By that time I had been out of the house for 2 hours, for a 20 mile each way commute. I would then go pick daughter up from school, so out of the house for 3, if the traffic was bad (around 3 times a week) I would drive straight over to hubbys work as it wasn't worth going home, and we would go to the park for a couple of hours, pick hubby up around 5.30 and get home between 6.30-7.00, and I wondered why I was depressed and hated LA life.

Being without a car is even worse though, with 2 kids that young you will never leave the house, lots of neighborhoods don't even have pavements, so you can't even go for a walk around the block.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

mymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nice

yup, I want to make sure we can afford a comfortable enough lifestyle if we're going to move halfway across the world! I would say our life in London is comfortable, others might not...after paying our mortgage each month we have £1,300 to spend on everything else (including bills). But I'm aware that LA is a hell of a lot more expensive than London. If my husband doesn't take this job, he's been offered another in London which would bring in an extra £500/month, which is life changing for us.

So can we seriously not do with just one car? My children aren't old enough for school, surely not EVERYONE drives to work? One person in every car? Seriously? Don't people carpool, I know the public transport isn't up to much, I guess one of the reasons we're looking to live near to Santa Monica so his commute is short and easy. Would I really need to drive everywhere? Maybe I'm being really naive about this but seriously the environmental responsibility will already be through the roof with travelling back to the UK once a year!
Old Aug 6th 2011, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mymatemarmite
yup, I want to make sure we can afford a comfortable enough lifestyle if we're going to move halfway across the world! I would say our life in London is comfortable, others might not...after paying our mortgage each month we have £1,300 to spend on everything else (including bills). But I'm aware that LA is a hell of a lot more expensive than London. If my husband doesn't take this job, he's been offered another in London which would bring in an extra £500/month, which is life changing for us.

So can we seriously not do with just one car? My children aren't old enough for school, surely not EVERYONE drives to work? One person in every car? Seriously? Don't people carpool, I know the public transport isn't up to much, I guess one of the reasons we're looking to live near to Santa Monica so his commute is short and easy. Would I really need to drive everywhere? Maybe I'm being really naive about this but seriously the environmental responsibility will already be through the roof with travelling back to the UK once a year!
"LA is a great big freeway".

To be blunt about it, most white/middle class Americans are terrified of buses. "Speed" had to have a storyline about Sandra Bullock having her licence suspended to explain why she would ever consider getting on a bus.

Last edited by Sally Redux; Aug 6th 2011 at 9:05 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

mymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nice

good point...ok, where do we need to live close enough for DH to bus/cycle/walk/carpoole to Santa Monica (the Yahoo Village apparently) but also a walkable neighbourhood for me and the kids
Old Aug 6th 2011, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

good point...ok, where do we need to live close enough for DH to bus/cycle/walk/carpoole to Santa Monica (the Yahoo Village apparently) but also a walkable neighbourhood for me and the kids
"Santa Monica' covers a fairly large area.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

well, that's as much as I know at the moment!
Old Aug 6th 2011, 9:10 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

If he is going to be working for Yahoo get him to find out if they offer a work commute bus, both them and Google do in Silicon Valley, they have work bus stops all over the area.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

well, that's as much as I know at the moment!
Originally Posted by N1cky
If he is going to be working for Yahoo get him to find out if they offer a work commute bus, both them and Google do in Silicon Valley, they have work bus stops all over the area.
Oh sorry I didn't know what Yahoo Village meant. Where is that?

OK looked it up, it's fairly central so possibly it could be doable if the budget stretches to Santa Monica itself or maybe Culver City

Santa Monica buses: http://www.bigbluebus.com/busroutes/index.asp

Last edited by Sally Redux; Aug 6th 2011 at 9:18 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 9:23 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I don't think you get how different it is here.
It's a whole new world, nothing like UK. All the kids activities cost a bundle, where we are public transportation is non existent, We have one cab company in the whole county and that has two cabs, I saw on for the first time this year.
I looked at Gymboree for the little one but $50 enrollment then $65 a month was too much plus the driving for a few classes.
I just had to keep reminding myself I was in a foreign country now, and get on with it.
Now she's in school so no need for Gymboree but we drive 30 minutes to dance class weekly that is $35 a month if I went to the high pressure school it would be $65 a month.
Nursery school is $22 for every half day here. age 3-5.
No playgroups unless you want to join a religious one near us (MOPS)
Lots of kids sports starting at age 4 here, baseball, soccer, basketball run anywhere from $50 to $100 per season.
I think you need to make a list of want you have to have, then see if you can match as much of it as possible.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
It's a whole new world, nothing like UK. All the kids activities cost a bundle, where we are public transportation is non existent, We have one cab company in the whole county and that has two cabs, I saw on for the first time this year.
I looked at Gymboree for the little one but $50 enrollment then $65 a month was too much plus the driving for a few classes.
I just had to keep reminding myself I was in a foreign country now, and get on with it.
Now she's in school so no need for Gymboree but we drive 30 minutes to dance class weekly that is $35 a month if I went to the high pressure school it would be $65 a month.
Lots of kids sports starting at age 4 here, baseball, soccer, basketball run anywhere from $50 to $100 per season.
I think you need to make a list of want you have to have, then see if you can match as much of it as possible.
What concerns me is when people think it's going to be just like England but sunnier.

It is so, so different.

Marmite needs to visit and really research this move.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

BellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
What concerns me is when people think it's going to be just like England but sunnier.

It is so, so different.

Marmite needs to visit and really research this move.
Marmite, check out rent.com and use www.maps.google.com, which provides driving, walking and public transportation directions.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 12:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
It's a whole new world, nothing like UK.
All the kids activities cost a bundle, where we are public transportation is non existent, We have one cab company in the whole county and that has two cabs, I saw on for the first time this year.
But that should be obvious. It isn't the UK... I think if you're making the move, flexibility would be the right word. If not, why bother?
Old Aug 7th 2011, 1:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
But that should be obvious. It isn't the UK... I think if you're making the move, flexibility would be the right word. If not, why bother?
Some British people just don't 'get' that things are different. They think there must be healthcare provision for those without insurance, or concern for the environment, or easy socializing. That is the purpose of cautionary posts on here.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 1:17 am
Just Joined

FredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to all

But I'm aware that LA is a hell of a lot more expensive than London.
I'm not convinced of that at all.

If you did an objective comparison of prices for food (groceries and restaurant), clothing, cars (new or used), petrol/gas, wine & beer (staples!), electronics (computer stuff, TVs, cameras, phones etc.), services like gardening and house cleaning and so on, I'd bet L.A. would work out significantly cheaper than London. Comparable hotel rooms are twice as expensive in London, although that's probably not a relevant item

Mercer's most recent ranking of cost of living in world cities has London as 18th most expensive with LA down at #77. An on-line comparison called Xpatulator.com has London at #20 and L.A. down at #146. I'm sure there are other rankings too.

I suspect that some of the U.S. residents posting on here might be a bit out-of-date in their assessment of London prices.

Of course for any individual it depends on what you actually need to buy, and fluctuations in exchange rates make a difference too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.