Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cost of living/quality of life/best place for kids -- US vs UK

Cost of living/quality of life/best place for kids -- US vs UK

Old Oct 7th 2016, 6:50 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living/quality of life/best place for kids -- US vs UK

Originally Posted by ddsrph
A big part of the problem in the US and maybe in the UK is far too many people are Financial idiots. They blow their money on cars they can't afford and other poor financial decisions and never save enough to afford a house or retire comfortably. If it wasn't for the forced savings of social security most would be in big trouble in their later years.

They are all just living the american dream!
Old Oct 7th 2016, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I just got my pension statement in and it estimates that I will get less the $3k per year for every $100k saved, so that means I have to save a lot of money, $1m to get $30k a year in retirement. I doubt if many people will get anywhere close to that. The baby boomers had an easier time. Gen Y have got an almost impossible task ahead

Maybe people just give up even trying to save enough money. There is a ticking timebomb waiting to happen. Underfunded personal and company pension schemes and tax payer funded schemes that will be paid for by increased taxes.

Last edited by mrken30; Oct 7th 2016 at 9:20 pm.
Old Oct 7th 2016, 9:44 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I just got my pension statement in and it estimates that I will get less the $3k per year for every $100k saved, so that means I have to save a lot of money, $1m to get $30k a year in retirement. I doubt if many people will get anywhere close to that. The baby boomers had an easier time. Gen Y have got an almost impossible task ahead

Maybe people just give up even trying to save enough money. There is a ticking timebomb waiting to happen. Underfunded personal and company pension schemes and tax payer funded schemes that will be paid for by increased taxes.
In what way did baby boomers have an easier time? Also, that $3k per year for every $100k in the account is just an estimate - who knows what conditions will prevail years in the future?

So say you have 500k saved in the pension? That's 15k a year, plus social security. A perfectly comfortable income for one person (I'm assuming a couple has double that.) Assuming the house is paid for etc., and you also have additional after tax savings etc.
Old Oct 7th 2016, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
In what way did baby boomers have an easier time? Also, that $3k per year for every $100k in the account is just an estimate - who knows what conditions will prevail years in the future?

So say you have 500k saved in the pension? That's 15k a year, plus social security. A perfectly comfortable income for one person (I'm assuming a couple has double that.) Assuming the house is paid for etc., and you also have additional after tax savings etc.

That's true, plus you also have to consider using up the principle over time, which should bump it up. Like you said its critical to have a house paid for at retirement. Living in retirement mode for 20 to 25 years is very common and I would hate to have to depend on renting inflation for that long. Reverse mortgages is also another potential scource of retirement income for those with a paid for house.
Old Oct 7th 2016, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

15k pays for water and property tax. I don't thing social security will pay for much else. 15k is about half the state minimum wage
Old Oct 7th 2016, 10:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

A good part of the problem is that people don't understand that investment returns and mortgage interest are opposite sides of the same coin.

What should have happened as mortgage and savings rates collapsed is that the money people "saved" because of the reduction in the cost of borrowing to buy a home should have gone into long term savings, preferably something tax-advantaged. Instead Gen Y has gone off on a rampage of buying extravagant houses and fancy cars.

When we moved to the US we bought a house using part of the proceeds of the sale of our house in London as a deposit, and investing the rest. When I applied for a mortgage the amount the bank was willing to lend was scary! I set a budget and we bought a very nice house, more than we needed at the time, in anticipation of having a family, but in truth we could have financed a house for three times as much!

By investing and buying a relatively modest house we have left ourselves in a strong position. We live on about half our net income but have a retirement income projected to exceed our current income, by quite a large margin. ..... Maybe we have been too conservative?

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 7th 2016 at 10:57 pm.
Old Oct 7th 2016, 10:35 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

15k pays for water and property tax. I don't thing social security will pay for much else. 15k is about half the state minimum wage
One thing about retirement is the freedom to live anywhere - with no effect on income. Many places in America, 15k would pay your property taxes for five years, and with a well and septic tank, you don't pay for water. Many places, you can by a house for 150k, or 100k, or 50k ... or less.
Old Oct 7th 2016, 11:04 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

One thing about retirement is the freedom to live anywhere - with no effect on income. Many places in America, 15k would pay your property taxes for five years, and with a well and septic tank, you don't pay for water. Many places, you can by a house for 150k, or 100k, or 50k ... or less.
well, not quite true.

One look at the french (and I assume other parts of the EU) forum at the mo, will tell you what a 16% reduction in income means....this is due to the fall in £ against the €.
Old Oct 7th 2016, 11:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The same in England, I was just offered a 2 bed large flat in a seaside town , about 1/2 mile from the beach for 60k. Do I really want to look at a big move in retirement?
Old Oct 7th 2016, 11:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

One thing about retirement is the freedom to live anywhere - with no effect on income. Many places in America, 15k would pay your property taxes for five years, and with a well and septic tank, you don't pay for water. .....
I was about to say the same thing, because you have just described our house, all four bedrooms and 2,750 sqft of it, with one major difference: at current tax rates $15,000 would pay for more than TEN years taxes.
Old Oct 7th 2016, 11:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Maybe we will move nearer to your part of the world, sounds like a bargain.
A 2,600 sq ft single story here is about $6-7k per year , so yes location makes a big difference. We have had this discussion before. But I assume you either suffer in services provided or the county/city obtain income from other sources. There was a 1500 sq ft 1972 house sold last year nearby which is only $5,000 a year property tax.

Last edited by mrken30; Oct 7th 2016 at 11:42 pm.
Old Oct 7th 2016, 11:34 pm

2,600 sq ft single story here is about $6k per year , so yes location makes a big difference. We have had this discussion before. But I assume you either suffer in services provided or the county/city obtain income from other
I "suffer" nothing, I get all the services I need, and want for none (I need no additional services).

It is offensive that cities can get away with charging so much to provide "services" that many people neither need nor want.
Old Oct 7th 2016, 11:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I "suffer" nothing, I get all the services I need, and want for none (I need no additional services).

It is offensive that cities can get away with charging so much to provide "services" that many people neither need nor want.
I agree, maybe the cities around here could learn a lot from cities like yours.
Old Oct 7th 2016, 11:48 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
well, not quite true.

One look at the french (and I assume other parts of the EU) forum at the mo, will tell you what a 16% reduction in income means....this is due to the fall in £ against the €.
Well, obviously exchange rate movements are a different matter. There are a lot of risks in life.
Old Oct 7th 2016, 11:54 pm
Heading for Poppyland

I think most workers get somewhere between 12k and 24k in SS when they retire, so it would double that notional 15k income .... it would pay for quite a bit ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.