Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cost of living in NYC help please!

Cost of living in NYC help please!

Old Aug 9th 2011, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

gypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cost of living in NYC help please!

Originally Posted by B65
How exciting!! I cannot help with the costs, my daughter lives in Manhattan she just turned 23...and has just signed a lease on a lovely place for $2800 a month so i think the rent seems about right.... Do the children go to public schools in the city? I have an 11 year old and we were thinking of living in the city as hubby could commute from there....but it is just a thought as of now.... I am moving to NJ in 2 weeks so will be right by if you ever want to meet up in the city for coffee one day

Good luck and keep us posted

Bev
Id love to We lived in NJ for a few years, some of it is beautiful but you need a car! Hope everything goes well.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 4:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gypsygirl
Thanks for the input.
The food probably is a bit cheap thinking about it. I intend to do a monthly out of town shop and just buy fresh from the markets. I bake nearly everything so we dont spend that much now. I shouldnt think it would be that much more, maybe $50 a week would be better. I spend £100 a week now and think Im getting mixed up with that.
Baking supplies, fresh fruit/veg, dairy...you'll still be spending more than that.

And regarding school fees. I was presuming your kids would actually want to do shit, outside. That costs a lot...gymboree gym, play group etc...it all adds up very quickly...very little free for older kids.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

gypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bob
Baking supplies, fresh fruit/veg, dairy...you'll still be spending more than that.

And regarding school fees. I was presuming your kids would actually want to do shit, outside. That costs a lot...gymboree gym, play group etc...it all adds up very quickly...very little free for older kids.
Well Im basing that on what it cost us for 6 a few years ago, so its not a number I picked out of the air I would only be buying fresh food from teh city most of the time, unless I run out of something.
We have the kids covered, so I just need to know about the current basic living costs.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 4:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like hubby has the job, so we are just figuring out if we can afford to live there! They didnt want to discuss wages until they offer us the job.
We lived in Manhattan 2005 for a few years, but need more up to date help with the cost of living please. We are a family of 5 (3 teens, one 5 yo) and will be living in Manhattan around Union sq/Midtown area.
This is the figures Ive got, please let me know if Ive forgotten anything, or if my figures are way off. Im only including the essentials and seeing whats left.

Rent $3500 (doorman, 3 bed apartment, utilities included)
Food £800 ($100 a week, $100 eating out a week)
Metro $416 (unlimited x4)
Car hire $1000 ($250 a weekend)
Gas $200
Netflix $20
I'm surprised you are moving back...you seemed to hate living in the US 3 years ago.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I'm surprised you are moving back...you seemed to hate living in the US 3 years ago.
Didnt hate it, we had no money and hadnt seen family since we moved over. Plus having a baby right away it was all to much.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 11:43 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like hubby has the job, so we are just figuring out if we can afford to live there! They didnt want to discuss wages until they offer us the job.
We lived in Manhattan 2005 for a few years, but need more up to date help with the cost of living please. We are a family of 5 (3 teens, one 5 yo) and will be living in Manhattan around Union sq/Midtown area.
This is the figures Ive got, please let me know if Ive forgotten anything, or if my figures are way off. Im only including the essentials and seeing whats left.

Rent $3500 (doorman, 3 bed apartment, utilities included)
Food £800 ($100 a week, $100 eating out a week)
Metro $416 (unlimited x4)
Car hire $1000 ($250 a weekend)
Gas $200
Netflix $20
Rent seems a bit low for a doorman building, but you might get a 2 bed converted to a 3 for that (i.e. little or no living room, or very small bedrooms). As an example I have a 2nd floor walk up in the East Village (no doorman or other amenities), its a wing 2 bed, I use the tiny room as a bedroom (only fits a bed) and the larger one as the living room, thats $1,950 a month (i signed the lease last year, if I rented it today they are asking for about $2,400 for similar ones), its at least 7 blocks to a subway.

Also utilities probably won't include internet, phone or cable if you need them (think 50-150 depending what you want/get).

As others have mentioned Zip car is OK, but not cheap, once they add the tax etc think about $140 a day+, but they are convenient as long as you book in advance (and very flexible), you can cancel up to 24 hours before for a longer reservation, or sooner for a short one with no penalty.

If you are not all traveling together consider less subway cards (share them) and pay for other rides per use. I mostly walk and spend very little on the subway.

For groceries stores like key foods are not to expensive, but the produce is not great.

Good luck, enjoy,

tht
Old Aug 10th 2011, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

Untitled 3 is an unknown quantity at this point

You've budgeted way too low for rent in a doorman building for those neighbourhoods. You'd be doing well to find a decent 2 bed for less than $4k in Midtown/Union Square. You'll looking at $6k for something that you'd actually want to live in.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 1:23 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht

As others have mentioned Zip car is OK, but not cheap, once they add the tax etc think about $140 a day+, but they are convenient as long as you book in advance (and very flexible), you can cancel up to 24 hours before for a longer reservation, or sooner for a short one with no penalty.
Don't know about in NY, but in Boston, if you've got a Charlie Card, the T travel card, you can get a discount on Zipcar if you show the card...maybe you've got something similar?
Old Aug 11th 2011, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Ok thanks for the help with this I appreciate it. We are looking at a 2 bed apartment now and Im trying to budget so we can afford to get home often as Ill be leaving 2 kids here. This also brings down the food and metro bills slightly.
I could start off with the top up metro cards, I just like to be able to get about, last time we did walk alot but now we have a 5yo who doesnt like to walk lol.
They have offered us the job with a good wage Im just concerned its not enough to live in the city. We lived out of the city last time and none of us are interested in doing that again. I really want it to work this time, last time we were so broke it was all a disaster and we ended up coming back to the UK. I dont know if we should hold out a bit longer, but I think the rents etc will only continue to rise, where our wages do not!
Old Aug 11th 2011, 10:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

They have offered us the job with a good wage Im just concerned its not enough to live in the city. We lived out of the city last time and none of us are interested in doing that again. I really want it to work this time, last time we were so broke it was all a disaster and we ended up coming back to the UK. I dont know if we should hold out a bit longer, but I think the rents etc will only continue to rise, where our wages do not!
If you are most concerned about the money side of things and the kind of lifestyle you'll be able to afford, is it maybe an idea to tell people what kind of salary you are talking about? Then those living in NYC can tell you if it's realistic or not?

Old Aug 11th 2011, 6:00 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
If she access to huge warehouse style discount grocery stores. Are there any of those in Manhattan?
We are two parents one teen and one 6 year old and I spend $150 minimum a week groceries with coupons and big discount stores.
There is a Costco in Harlem.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 6:16 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you want to live around midtown or Union Square? $100 for dining out? That would probably cover a dinner for two of you. I do quite a bit of shopping at Costco. They have a car service right there as well. It's on 117 and the FDR. It costs $10 plus tip to the East 80's. Are you using a broker? $100 a week on groceries will tough. I do save a lot of money with coupons. I'm also lucky enough to get 5 meals a week for free since I work in a restauant which is a big savings. Restaurant prices have gone up a lot since 2004. You should check out restauranat.com. With coupon codes I have gotten many $25 certificates for $2.

As mentioned there would be phone, internet and utilities. Have you looked on Craigslist for apartments?

Would your kids be going to private school? That's around 30K per year per kid.

I live on the Upper East Side. It's quite a nice area and more reasonable than midtown.