Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cost of living in NYC help please!

Cost of living in NYC help please!

Old Aug 9th 2011, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

gypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to behold
Default Cost of living in NYC help please!

Looks like hubby has the job, so we are just figuring out if we can afford to live there! They didnt want to discuss wages until they offer us the job.
We lived in Manhattan 2005 for a few years, but need more up to date help with the cost of living please. We are a family of 5 (3 teens, one 5 yo) and will be living in Manhattan around Union sq/Midtown area.
This is the figures Ive got, please let me know if Ive forgotten anything, or if my figures are way off. Im only including the essentials and seeing whats left.

Rent $3500 (doorman, 3 bed apartment, utilities included)
Food £800 ($100 a week, $100 eating out a week)
Metro $416 (unlimited x4)
Car hire $1000 ($250 a weekend)
Gas $200
Netflix $20
Old Aug 9th 2011, 1:06 pm
B65
Forum Regular

B65 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of living in NYC help please!

How exciting!! I cannot help with the costs, my daughter lives in Manhattan she just turned 23...and has just signed a lease on a lovely place for $2800 a month so i think the rent seems about right.... Do the children go to public schools in the city? I have an 11 year old and we were thinking of living in the city as hubby could commute from there....but it is just a thought as of now.... I am moving to NJ in 2 weeks so will be right by if you ever want to meet up in the city for coffee one day

Good luck and keep us posted

Bev

Last edited by B65; Aug 9th 2011 at 1:09 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 2:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gypsygirl
Looks like hubby has the job, so we are just figuring out if we can afford to live there! They didnt want to discuss wages until they offer us the job.
We lived in Manhattan 2005 for a few years, but need more up to date help with the cost of living please. We are a family of 5 (3 teens, one 5 yo) and will be living in Manhattan around Union sq/Midtown area.
This is the figures Ive got, please let me know if Ive forgotten anything, or if my figures are way off. Im only including the essentials and seeing whats left.

Metro $416 (unlimited x4)
Car hire $1000 ($250 a weekend)
Gas $200
Netflix $20
$100 a week for three teens?
Old Aug 9th 2011, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
$100 a week for three teens?
I was thinking the same thing.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

britishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cranston
I was thinking the same thing.
With coupons its 100% possible
Old Aug 9th 2011, 2:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britishspouse
Well who's going to pay $3500 a month in rent and clip coupons? ok that was a silly question... But seriously, a family of (the op says 5, but wouldn't it be 6?) living off of a $100? And $100 eating out? That might be one meal....
Old Aug 9th 2011, 2:43 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britishspouse
If she access to huge warehouse style discount grocery stores. Are there any of those in Manhattan?
We are two parents one teen and one 6 year old and I spend $150 minimum a week groceries with coupons and big discount stores.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 3:03 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gypsygirl

As others have said, the $100 wouldn't cover one eat-out meal for two adults, let alone a family. I also query the rent -- the $3,500 might work for a three-bed apartment, but the utilities would usually be on top of that.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

We are a family of 7 and I easily spend $1000 per month (4 weeks) on groceries.

Oh and I'm not in NYC.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Well who's going to pay $3500 a month in rent and clip coupons? ok that was a silly question...
Actually you'd be surprised - coupon use is much higher with middle class families than it is with poorer families for some odd reason.

But seriously, a family of (the op says 5, but wouldn't it be 6?) living off of a $100? And $100 eating out? That might be one meal....
$100 for eating out in Manhattan might cover two trips to the hot dog stand or McD .

We try to buy "good" food and tend to shop a lot at CostCo, and with just two people we're likely to break the $100/week barrier for food. And that's not counting the cost of the food for our purry cat food processor.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 3:30 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Well who's going to pay $3500 a month in rent and clip coupons? ok that was a silly question... But seriously, a family of (the op says 5, but wouldn't it be 6?) living off of a $100? And $100 eating out? That might be one meal....

Especially if they are grocery shopping in Manhattan where stores will have an inflated cost due to demand and lack of places to shop. We have a difficult time doing with $80 for a family of two.

As for $3,500 a mont for rent all inclusive, I wonder about the area and/or the size and type of apartment they are looking at.

I question the cost of a weekend car rental. You can get a zip car for less than that and/or you can use public transportation to get you around Manhattan, Staten Island, Brooklyn, Long Island, Westchester County, etc. No need for a car.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 3:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The grocery budget, bit weak...that's okay if you're eating shit every day, but anything remotely healthy and not crap will cost more than that...especially stuff for the baby

Sod the car rental, get a Zipcar membership, it'll be cheaper.

Rent sounds cheap, if looking for utilities included...on top and it's more likely.

Factor a chunk of educational costs as they aren't cheap, the after school type sports, music, whatever....and day care for the littlest one if needed. That'll be a good chunk of change.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 3:35 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
We are a family of 7 and I easily spend $1000 per month (4 weeks) on groceries.

Oh and I'm not in NYC.
Only February is 4 weeks, 3 years out of 4.

Those extra days........ 2-3 days a month!....... add up...
Old Aug 9th 2011, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

gypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the input.
The food probably is a bit cheap thinking about it. I intend to do a monthly out of town shop and just buy fresh from the markets. I bake nearly everything so we dont spend that much now. I shouldnt think it would be that much more, maybe $50 a week would be better. I spend £100 a week now and think Im getting mixed up with that.
It is for 5 people, one of my kids are staying here.
We used to spend about $60 on meals out, trick is to not spend a ton on drinks, so we just have water with the meals.
We were paying $2600 with utilities and a doorman for a 2 bed in 2004, jsut saw a few last night that were around $3500 with utilities?
Ill check out Zip car
Old Aug 9th 2011, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

Oh we homeschool so dont need to worry about the schooling fees, getting a few memberships like we did last time, not too worried about that side of it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.